The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

left shoulder hindering chest

exactly what the title says. my left should just does not seem to want to cooperate at all when i do chest exercises. on my last set i typically do 8 but around 6 when i do anything chest related my left arm just stops midway and just will not move anymore and it feels like the front of my shoulder is going to just snap. it feels like i need to crack/pop it but it never does.

should i just keep at it and keep pushing or does this sound like an issue i will need to get fixed or deal with. i have been goin to the gym for about a year and a half and my max bench for 1 has only been 205 because of my shoulder. i progress in everything else though so i know i am doing things right for myself.

any advice? thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    If you have had shoulder problems for some time now you may want to get it checked out. Last year I was having an issue with my shoulder while doing BB and heavy weights, switched to DB presses and was able to work through the shoulder issue, along with 800mgs of Ibuprofen a day. Sometimes a BB holds your shoulder in such a restricted position that it puts a lot of stress on it. Try DB's for a month and see if it gets any better.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 180 - bulking, up to 210
    BodyFat:9% - now ???

Wannabebig Member
    :withstupi also i was reading in another thread about benching that talked about putting your elbows in a little (so you don't have the "T" form) to relieve stress on your shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by MnM
    :withstupi also i was reading in another thread about benching that talked about putting your elbows in a little (so you don't have the "T" form) to relieve stress on your shoulders.
    This is good advice, take the shoulder out of the equation a bit by keeping the your elbows closer to your lats. This reduces the ROM your shoulder has to go through to complete the lift. I might be wrong, but having your elbows flared out is actually improper form. Uses much more anterior delt than it should.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSmurf
    Get it checked out man. Is the pain similar to what you feel when doing DB presses or military press?

DS
    its not affected at all really when i do military press, only when i do bench and db press.

Quote Originally Posted by MnM
    Quote Originally Posted by shansen008
    This is good advice, take the shoulder out of the equation a bit by keeping the your elbows closer to your lats. This reduces the ROM your shoulder has to go through to complete the lift. I might be wrong, but having your elbows flared out is actually improper form. Uses much more anterior delt than it should.
    yeah that makes sense. i dont have another chest day until tuesday so i will let you guys know if that was the case. ill try moving my elbows in to relieve some stress.

thanks for input guys.

Yea, my left shoulder used to really hurt when I'd bench; I never knew why; I used the standard width grip (pinky on the marker things).

All I did was adjust my grip 1" inward from each marker and all is good; no more shoulder pain. Sure, my bench went down a tad bit since it's a little more tricep and slightly less chest, but I could care less; my chest still kills afterward...

Try that and see how it works.

--Dan.

I had problems with what felt to be my right anterior delt when benching. I had a lot of pain and my shoulder would weaken fast ruining my efforts. I started doing rotator cuff exercises and the pain is gone. For me I think it was muscle imbalance and the rotators taking a huge hit cause they were much weaker. Especially when benching heavy weight.

There may also be something wrong with your shoulder. since when has this been happening?
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    I had problems with what felt to be my right anterior delt when benching. I had a lot of pain and my shoulder would weaken fast ruining my efforts. I started doing rotator cuff exercises and the pain is gone. For me I think it was muscle imbalance and the rotators taking a huge hit cause they were much weaker. Especially when benching heavy weight.

There may also be something wrong with your shoulder. since when has this been happening?
    What are some examples of "rotator cuff exercises"?

--Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    since when has this been happening?
    it has been since i started to TRY and increase the weight. i know i can lift more but i dont even try to add more weight because i know that my left should will just quit on me in the middle of a set.

ill try repositioning my hands inward more and watch my elbows and see how that goes.

yeah what are some rotator cuff excersices?
    Last edited by blaindsmith; 05-06-2005 at 10:30 AM.

Full of himself.
    Get it checked out man. Is the pain similar to what you feel when doing DB presses or military press?

DS

Hmm, sounds similar to my occasional problem.

I have 4 sublaxations in my vertebrae in my neck, and have chiro 3 times weekly.
    A few times ive mentioned the shoulder problem to him, he has me lie on my back, arms |_ to the floor, and he pushs forward, towards my feet, while i pull back. The right shoulder, has failed in pain a few times at this ..
    He adjusts my neck then, with a small thrust to the left. Bit of a small noise, but he re does the test with me on my back again, and all is good. Strong as ****. Tis weird.

I have never felt anything in my chest after doing bench, only shoulders.

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    I've had a similar problem and I believe it to be rotator cuff related, at least in my case.

A couple of things have helped: First off it seemed that the BB bench press aggravates the condition so I switched to doing only DB bench press and DB incline press. Have been doing this for 3 months or so now and slowly working my way up in weight. I've found this helps tremendously.

Additionally I have been taking 2000mg of glucosamine daily. I can't prove that it has done anything but I believe it is helping.

Finally I have been doing rotator cuff exercises. This link describes them, particularly exercise number 2:

http://familydoctor.org/265.xml

If you still have problems see a Dr. Good luck man!

Last edited by bigsethmeister; 05-06-2005 at 11:43 AM.