Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is change possible?

Wannabebig Member

Is change possible?

This is an odd first post but it was on my mind when I first signed up here.

Is changing yourself actually possible? Is it possible to transform from a screw-up to a successful person? From undisciplined to disciplined? I know that most people who are reading this are thinking yes it is possible, but does anyone actually know someone who has ever done this? This is the subject of motivational pep talks by teachers but they never seem to have any examples of former bad students who ended up changing their ways and becoming successful in school and in life.

If you don't believe it's possible, don't even bother trying.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

yes.
    there has to be a reward involved somewhere.

a person will not switch to a disciplined life from an undisciplined one unless he knows that being disciplined will/might earn him a better career/job/promotion etc.

I will not go well dressed from an unkempt state if everyone in the world is blind.

of course there are limitations also, but to a certain degree you can change if you can visualize the positive outcome of the efforts.

then there are some who think that no matter how much they try, they can never become what they want. They dont even try because they think they will fail (again). They can predict the future...but only the negative side of it. We have therapists and psyhciatrists for them.

I used to be a fat pothead and a ****ty student with no motivation 4 years ago, but now I'm a leaner, much stronger ****ty student with a shaved head, no sideburns and only the motivation to workout.

Does that count?

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes
    This is an odd first post but it was on my mind when I first signed up here.

Is changing yourself actually possible? Is it possible to transform from a screw-up to a successful person? From undisciplined to disciplined? I know that most people who are reading this are thinking yes it is possible, but does anyone actually know someone who has ever done this? This is the subject of motivational pep talks by teachers but they never seem to have any examples of former bad students who ended up changing their ways and becoming successful in school and in life.
    of course not once a loser always a loser

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    of course not once a loser always a loser
    lol.

If you want to be screw up with no direction it is your own fault. I have no sympathy for you. All these f-ing tree huggers that blame their daddy for not hugging them, or blame kids for teasing them when they were little, or blame the gov't for not holding their hand and giving them direction. Screw you people. In the USA, you can accomplish anything you want if you are willing to sacrifice, work hard and bust ass, no matter what your economic or social status. Ya, it may be harder for you, but nothing worth getting is easy.

The easy way out is being a loser and being a screw-up, anyone can lay around all day and do nothing. Anyone can wait around for someone else to give you a hand out. Anyone can pump out kids and collect welfare and food stamps. Be a f-ing man, make your own path, don't just go with the flow b/c it is easier.

Just from personal experience on my changes:

I went from chubby, to rail thin, to nicely built.

I went from acne-faced and horrible hair to looking like a model (not trying to brag).

I went from lazy and unemployed to finding a successful job and being able to pay off my credit debts.

From my experience, it's all about how bad you want it, and how much are you willing to put into yourself and your goals. After I got a good body, I felt so much better about myself. When my dermatologist got my skin cleared up, I felt better, too, and looked amazing. I feel more secure financially after I got off my ass, put in some hard hours, and managed my finances correctly.

Let people tell you that you can't do something. It feels so great to prove them wrong.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Ok this is the way I look at it.

One of my personal goals, you can laugh at me all you want too, is to be accepted into the academy of mechanical engineering. It's basically the nobel prize of mechanical engineers. Now this is something, where even if i try as hard as I possibly can, circumstances and lack of talent can screw me.

However, I think basic goals, like getting a good job and being a respectable member of society can easily be achieved through a lot of effort.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

17 years ago, I was a divorced, overweight high-school dropout with a learning disability and on welfare.

Now, at almost 42, I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm married to my best friend. I have degrees in Math and Operations Research, a house, and a job with the government.

So, yeah, I think you can pull yourself out of a pit, *IF* you decide you're worth the trouble.

Mr. Puniverse
    If your asking other people if change is possible, then youre asking the wrong person. Ask yourself... Get in front of the mirror and tell yourself "change is possible. I can do whatever I want"
    Because it is true.
    If you can change your body, which many, many people here have done, you can change your life. You can easily go from a screwup to a successful person. You can go from a loser to a winner, with nothing stopping you. If you havent realized it yet, people who work out ARE disciplined. You have to be. You cant do that last, most painful, rep unless you are disiplined.
    You have to ask yourself. You have to TELL yourself.
    Of course change is possible. You think all those huge guys in those magazines got there for no reason? Of course not.
    Hell yes you can!
    If you dont believe in yourself, then it wont happen.

Believe.

Hell, just reading what I wrote makes me want to go lift...brb.

edit- and cheers to Built.
    Last edited by Potential; 04-26-2005 at 11:59 PM.

Spite is my only motivation in life, and yes it is possible to change, you have to WANT it though, you have to make your goal your sole obsession in life, you have to dedicate yourself entirely and forego everything else.

Trying to learn on the fly
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    yes it is possible to change, you have to WANT it though, you have to make your goal your sole obsession in life, you have to dedicate yourself entirely and forego everything else.
    :withstupi

people can tell you as many sucess stories and can be motiviating as they would like, but it comes down to how much you want it

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Built,
    Now, at almost 42, I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm married to my best friend. I have degrees in Math and Operations Research, a house, and a job with the government.

So, yeah, I think you can pull yourself out of a pit, *IF* you decide you're worth the trouble.
    Respect++

Is changing yourself actually possible?
    Yes. I think that virtually everyone has latent qualities for success- some don't know how to channel them, some don't care to. There are plenty of examples of those who can and do.

Is it possible to transform from a screw-up to a successful person? From undisciplined to disciplined?
    Sure. It has to come from within, though.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    I used to be fat and lazy and less than average grades.

Now I'm dropping weight,building size. only half lazy but have great aspirations for the future in the business world.

how I changed it is every day I would tell myself "greatness is not found, it is created" plus I would tell myself everyday that I'm better than what I am. I better than most people, no one can touch what I can do.

while that may not be true and make you sound really cocky, doing it everyday builds confidence and with that you can do anything.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

yes you can change

i am an ex-cokehead

now i be running tings!!!

All comes gown to how bad you want it, as stated above.

Also, set realistic goals, but keep raising the bar so you don't stop after reaching your first goal (which happens to some). Think of every possible way to better yourself and get crackin.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Quote Originally Posted by twm5993
    with a shaved head, no sideburns
    So by having hair and sideburns, I lack motivation? What is exactly your point in saying this?

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralDan
    people can tell you as many sucess stories and can be motiviating as they would like, but it comes down to how much you want it
    truth

Someone on these forums has a quote by Abe Lincoln which I think is total truth and goes beyond just what it's subject is. It's something like

"People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

That's pretty much what it was for me. I used to be scrawny, smoke too much weed, eat really poorly, low self esteem, etc.

Now I go to the gym regularly, have a beautiful girlfriend I'm hoping to ask 'the question' soon, good job, happy alot, etc.

The only thing that changed is that I decided to be that way. It sounds stupid but it was that simple for me. I was tired of the way I was before so I chose not to be that way anymore. You have the ability to change your life with little decisions you make every day.

"I'm going to go run rather than sit here and watch E! True Hollywood story for an hour"

"I'm really tired but I'm giving myself no choice, I'm not skipping the gym today"

"I think I'll go home and make some chicken and rice rather than hit the McDonald's drivethrough"

"I'll take 3 minutes out of my life to call/email my significant other and let them know they're the ****"

Big changes in my life were really the sum of a lot of little changes.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

Yes you can. It's called Maturity.

More importantly, what member made a new name to ask this question? does it strike anyone else odd that a person's first post on THESE boards is this question?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    ^^^^

hahah very true...although most of us have no shame...so i have no idea
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    Yes you can. It's called Maturity.

More importantly, what member made a new name to ask this question? does it strike anyone else odd that a person's first post on THESE boards is this question?
    I planned on responding to this much earlier but never got around to it. To answer your question Iím not some random member who made a new account to ask this question. I wasnít lying when I said the reason I asked it was because it was on my mind while I was signing up here. Iíll probably repost this thread on a forum that has to do more with teenage angst. Itís kind of off-topic here. Iíll be posting here more often in a couple of weeks.

I didn't mean to discourage you from posting here, and I apologize.

Just the first thing that ran through my mind while reading, and something that I believe has happened before.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Disciple#1
    Sig
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    I didn't mean to discourage you from posting here, and I apologize.

Just the first thing that ran through my mind while reading, and something that I believe has happened before.
    Itís understandable to be skeptical about my 1st post being about something like this. Iíve also seen people make accounts just to post 1 thing on other forums Iíve been on. So np.