Thread: Me doing Zercher squats

Me doing Zercher squats

I just took this video today.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1670579/Zercher.MOV.html

Click on the link and go to the bottom of the page where you will see "select your download" and then click on the "FREE" next to it. You will then be taken to a page where you will see a counter at the bottom of the page. Once the counter reaches zero click on the link and the video will download.
    Last edited by chris mason; 05-09-2005 at 06:20 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Coolios.

I've wondered how to do these.

Thanks

Do Zerchers target the quads more? They look like they might, and this has been a problem of mine with conventional squats.

I would say yes, but front squats would be a better exercise to accomplish the feat.

I am doing these for something new and different and for a challenge.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

That does not look like it is easy to keep your back straight.. I'm afraid I'd fold up like a penknife on the way back down...

Thanks for the demo... I'd wondered how they were done.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

I just CAN'T freaking do front squats. They hurt my shoulders (I have a bump in my collarbone from an old break years ago).

Gonna try the Zerchers though.

Thanks.

Get something to protect the crooks of your elbows if you do.

In addition, try hack squats as they work the quads intensely:

In order to perform this movement with a barbell or dumbbells the trainee should have access to a 2x4 piece of wood on which to place both feet during the movement. This is due to the fact that the heels must be slightly elevated to best perform this movement.

The barbell should be placed behind the trainee. Your feet should be placed roughly shoulder width apart. Reach down and grasp the barbell (wrist straps are a good idea so as to avoid grip being the weak link) using a comfortable hand spacing (just wider than your hips being the norm). If a 2x4 or something else is to be used to elevate the heels it should be placed in position so that you may easily stand on it when ready. Make sure whatever you use allows for a stable platform (no movement).

If training without anything to elevate the heels the movement is quite simple in that you will merely stand up with the weight and then lower it under control. If you do elevate your heels you will perform the movement using primarily a rotation around your knees. Your upper body should be leaned backwards as you also bend at the knees. Your hips will be kept thrust forward and you should continue this until you feel that going any deeper would cause you to lose your balance. At this point return to a standing position and repeat.

This movement takes a bit of practice to get used to and heavy loads need not be used.

Hacks hurt my (um, old) knees, but the Zerchers just might do the trick.

I'll try to elevate my heels and protect my "crooks". Thansk for the tips.

You're welcome.

Don't confuse the elevation of the heels with Zerchers, that is for the hack squats. You know that, right?

those are some nice chinese squats mason. have you considered going to the olympics?

Not something I would ever need/want to do, but cool exercise, nonetheless.

Good to see you posting vids again, Chris.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Thanks Beast!

Wannabebig Member
    impressive. Just curious, what benefit does this exercise give you rather a typical standard squat???

I am impressed!

I've found that there is much less lower back stress, even though it may require quite a bit of upper body movement, because the weight is much closer to the levering point of your hips. i also think they're halfway between back and front squats as to the proportion of quad involvement.

Also, most trainees are lmited by the amount that they can stand to have on the crooks of the elbows. The full zercher, which you see chris start with, is a deadlift to the thighs and then the elbow lift to standing.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

coolness bragging factor benefit.

Possibly cool bruises on inner elbow to show people.

Hurt forearm, strains, etc..

If you're going to be trying out for the strongman competition, it could help you. Other than that I just see it as a big gigantic risk to injury.
    Preface everything I say with: "For intellectual curiosity:"
    or: "A friend wanted to know:"

I hear using a 2" Thickbar helps with these ... for anyone who wants to try it.

Hey.. I watched the video again.. and to be honest (forgive me.. I may be off base here...) but your upper back looked hell of a rounded. Which is probably expected being the weight is held in front of you. I found another video of a guy doing them.. and in the article accompanying them.. he stated he had a rounding issue but managed to correct it ...here is the link and he video is on the page. http://tsampa.org/training/blog/arch...0402/index.php

Not trying to criticize you or anything.. and maybe it was the angle of your camera but before I do these.. just wanted to make sure I understand the form properly...
    Thanks for the video though!
    Last edited by Miker; 05-11-2005 at 07:45 AM.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

- Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's

Bespoke Super Mod
    I wouldn't say they place more emphasis upon the quads. They're primarily designed as an assistance for deads as they target your hip flexors and extensors, hams, glutes, spinal erectors, abs
    Last edited by Franco; 05-11-2005 at 08:54 AM.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

I watched the video and the gentleman seems to be leaning forward to as great or a greater degree than I am (using a heck of a lot less weight and a shorter ROM). The rounding of the back is only an issue if you do not have the strength to tolerate it.

Bob Peoples, one of the greatest deadlifters of all recommended the use of a rounded back when deadlifting. I am not going to go that far but "perfect form" is an ideal not based in reality. There is more than one way to perform all exercises and the most important factor is that you don't feel as though you are placing yourself at risk for injury. You know better than anyone if you are placing your body in a poor position.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco
    I wouldn't say they place more emphasis upon the quads. They're primarily designed as an assistance for deads as they target your hip flexors and extensors, hams, glutes, spinal erectors, abs

The movement itself is closer to a front squat than a deadlift but the load is limited by what you can hold.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I watched the video and the gentleman seems to be leaning forward to as great or a greater degree than I am (using a heck of a lot less weight and a shorter ROM). The rounding of the back is only an issue if you do not have the strength to tolerate it.
    The weight load is a lot less for sure.. he's a hell of a bit smaller than you too I think.. but nevertheless.. I just wanted to make sure.. I've always been told to ensure I don't round my back. If I never ask.. I'll never know.. thanks for the reply
    Bob Peoples, one of the greatest deadlifters of all recommended the use of a rounded back when deadlifting. I am not going to go that far but "perfect form" is an ideal not based in reality. There is more than one way to perform all exercises and the most important factor is that you don't feel as though you are placing yourself at risk for injury. You know better than anyone if you are placing your body in a poor position.
    True enough.. I'm having a hell of a time just trying to deadlift properly... however.. I've noticed that I can handle more weight.. even comfortably out of form. Callahan has been helping me.. and I've seen him wince once or twice when I have lifted out of form. Sometimes you get lost and can't see the forest for the trees... As soon as I feel uncomfortable (unnaturally so..) I figure I've hit my limit..

Thanks again Chris.

- Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's

Bespoke Super Mod
    Of course the load is limited to what one can hold. It's all relative at the end of the day.

My previous statement was in regards to a wider stance, which I prefer far more whilst performing zerchers
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

bone crusher
    i luv zerchers... i think belial showed them to me a few years back. I would wrap the bar with a towel or squat pad as mason recommended

Cool video, Chris. Why don't you start the weight up on the pins and start from standing position, though? It seems like it would be easier to load/unload the weight without risking falling backward or anything...

I want to perform the movement the way it was meant to be performed so I can compare what I can do to those who also pull from the floor.