The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Training for boot camp

Ok so im a 17 year old that is leaving in october for Army boot camp and then on to Special Forces training. i am on a strict routine of every weeknight for at least 2 hours i am at the gym. BUT ive had to take the last 2 weeks off because i got my first tattoo and didnt wanna screw it up or anything. ive been on this routine for about the last year and a half. but im still worried about how my performace will be in boot. i know i know the key to boot is being able to run ur ass off and often......im workin on that. Im looking for incite on how to better condition myself for boot. any incite at all will be helpfull in my soon to be career. thanks
    -Peace

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First of all, it's "insight" (sorry, just my grammar/spelling fetish).

What are you doing in the gym? Different stuff each day? Or same stuff day in and day out?

For cardio, and all that running you will be doing, try interval training:

http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fit...l_training.htm

Let us know what your workout each day is like...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    First of all, thanks in advance for your service. It takes guts to join now days. Which branch are you going into? I was in the Navy, which is a pretty weak Bootcamp compared to the Army or Marines.

I would suggest running, running, running. I would work on core strength exercises. You will build strength in bootcamp no matter what shape you are in when you get there. The most important thing you need to work on is stamina. You will be running every single day and you will be doing every single calisthenic you can think of. You won't see many body builders in special forces. Most of the guys are built more for running and swimming with long, lean muscles and not bulk. Get used to doing situps on pavement. I had scabs all the way through boot. Oh yeah, run, run, run!

Good Luck, both in boot and after.

On edit: The thing you have to prepare for the most is the mind games. When you get there they will strip you of your individuality. Everyone knows that you have to shower with everyone else but atleast you can do that with some dignity. You also have to sh!t in front of everyone else because there is no doors or walls. That is a pretty effective way to strip you of your dignity. Believe it or not, it will take a couple of weeks before anyone sh!ts in your company.
    Last edited by GotLift; 06-03-2005 at 11:28 AM.
    Stats:

Age 31 (damn I'm getting up there)
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 202

"If you remain calm while everything around you is total chaos, then you probably haven't fully understood the situation."

yea man from what i know the toughest part of it is the mental part. a guy i know who was a real hard ass guy around here went into the marines, lasted a month, got made a bitch by the rest of the dudes and copped out on insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by GotLift
    You will build strength in bootcamp no matter what shape you are in when you get there.
    That's not true. I lost almost every bit of strength I had gained in the 3 years prior to basic. Many others report the same.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 06-03-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    That's not true. I lost almost every bit of strength I had gained in the 3 years prior to basic. Many others report the same.
    Sorry, I meant every bootcamp except for USAF.
    Stats:

"If you remain calm while everything around you is total chaos, then you probably haven't fully understood the situation."

That stab is well-taken, but getting back to what you said...strength loss, assuming the person going in is considered a bodybuilder by our standards, would even more so in one of the other branches that concentrate more so on physical fitness. The combination of that plus lack of food is disasterous. Many members on here (from other branches) say the same.

Wannabebig Member
    I hear you. I for one developed a lot more stamina and strength. I was a bit of an anomoly. I went in @ 150lbs and 9% BF and graduated @150lbs and 9% BF. I ate a lot of food in bootcamp, but you're right about body builders losing. My bad. My CC said he had never seen that before. Usually people lose or gain something. Of course 19 weeks later I was @ 175lbs. I think it was a combination of being a late bloomer and a lot of beer in A school.
    Stats:

I would echo what the previous posters said about running, but would also stress the importantance of setting a daily schedule that involves getting up quite early in the morning ( 5am-6am) and going to bed at the same time everyday ( say 10:30 or so)
    Boot Camp is not that difficult-most find the "mental challenges" tougher than the physical challenges. You look forward to taking a crap, because that is the only 3 minutes you have of privacy each day. The pace is relentless--the real key to success in basic training is to LISTEN TO INSTRUCTIONS. the second key is whenever possible, to demonstrate leadership, ie, be the first to volunteer, help others. All the branches of the military really stress leadership.

and...as a former veteran, ( GW1) let me be the first to congratulate and thank you for your decision to serve your country and defend our freedom.
    Last edited by Keith Wassung; 06-03-2005 at 09:44 PM.

ima agree on losing strength. I lost quite a bit in basic also
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Wannabebig Member
    im not really that worried about basic its only the 3 week airborne and the 9 week sf training that im nervous about. o ya my routine so far is (monday)ARMS-seated db curl, standing db curl, curl bar, and a bunch of tricep workouts that i cant remember the names but traditional stuff, CHEST- bp,decline bp, incline bp, flys, incline flys. (Tuesday) BACK- alot of different hammerstrentgh **** but i cant remember the names, pulldowns or whatever the **** they are called (as u can tell i dont pay attention to names i just do what works for me) SHOULDERS- shrugs of course, some hammer strength, millitary presses. then i just repeat them on wendsay and thursday so monday and wendsay are the same and tuesday and thursday are the same. for the guy who asked me what branch im goin in to its the Army Special Forces for 5 years and then im considering going into Navy Seals or getting a job at the cia. i guess i have that little kid dream of being a secret agent or something but im actually goin for it

No offense buddy, but if you ever plan on giving the Special Forces or CIA an ATTEMPT, than you need to start working on some observation and English skills.

Also, find another source to use besides wbb.com if you're truley serious about getting into the military and then going into a special operations area. When it comes to bodybuilding, these people know what they're talking about, but when its comes to getting ready and knowing the ins and outs of special operation training, they do not. Find a military website...socnetcentral.com/vb, or go back and talk to your recruiter about what you need to begin doing in order to make it where you want to be.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wannabebig Member
    I seriously doubt a recruiter will be a good source of info for SF. My recruiter was a heavy equipment operator. There are plenty of documentaries about SF training.

Follow your dreams. If I had it to do all over again, I would love to go that route and be a CIA agent or even a U.S. Marshal. Just be sure you are ready for a law enforcement lifestyle. If you plan to go that route, make sure you take adantage of any school opportunities that the Army offers while you are in and also take advantage of the G.I. Bill. That is the best benefit I have from my service and there are a lot of good benefits. You will need a 4 year degree before the CIA will even look at you, even if you do make it to the SF.

Good Luck!
    Stats:

Wannabebig Member
    ya one thing that the cia made me kinda of iffy about is the 4 year degree, but going through the complete SF training gives u enough college credits to be about 2 years in college. dont judge my language skills on a forum, its not like i take the time to make shure everything is precise and i dont really care to, and i have gone on other sites and asked but i like to get a wide variety of suggestions thats y i always liked this site. and ya my recruiter didnt know much, the closest thing he did to SF was airborne.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwag
    ya one thing that the cia made me kinda of iffy about is the 4 year degree, but going through the complete SF training gives u enough college credits to be about 2 years in college. dont judge my language skills on a forum, its not like i take the time to make shure everything is precise and i dont really care to, and i have gone on other sites and asked but i like to get a wide variety of suggestions thats y i always liked this site. and ya my recruiter didnt know much, the closest thing he did to SF was airborne.
    Let me tell you from experience. Get a 4 year degree. Even if you don't go to the CIA it will help you. I'm 31 and I have 8 more classes for my Bachelor's Degree. I kick myself in the ass for not taking advantage of the educational benefits that were available when I was in the Navy. The job market is changing drastically. In 10 years (or much less) it will be completely different than it is today and most good jobs (not all) require higher than a highschool education already. Law enforcement is one of the few jobs that can't be shipped overseas. I wish I knew what I know now when I was your age.

BTW, the G.I. Bill is paying more and more every year. Especially now that recruitment is at an all time low.
    Stats:

I just got offered 65k for college and 20k cash upfront. Woohoo!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

holy **** mix, to be a nuke?

Thats badass, i got the regular gi bill with the navy college fund so thats 50 k there.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Unfortunately, I finished college 6 years ago, and am already otherwise employed by the government.

I think their tactical database application sees "Computer Science" and offers tons of money. Maybe they want to recruit me to figure out how to fix the fact that they're mistargeting their offers.

We get tons of recruiter interest, even (especially?) as grad students. I guess they want to get us before the NSA or CIA.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    That stab is well-taken, but getting back to what you said...strength loss, assuming the person going in is considered a bodybuilder by our standards, would even more so in one of the other branches that concentrate more so on physical fitness. The combination of that plus lack of food is disasterous. Many members on here (from other branches) say the same.

I think it all depends how you go in. My coworker went in and he was a skinny guy and even with all the cardio he managed to put on 20lbs of lean mass. He's not a bodybuilder by the standards here, just has a very good, lean build now.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    I think it all depends how you go in. My coworker went in and he was a skinny guy and even with all the cardio he managed to put on 20lbs of lean mass. He's not a bodybuilder by the standards here, just has a very good, lean build now.
    That's basically what I said in my first post, however using an example opposite to that.