The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Anybody Tried a 5x5 Routine?

I was thinking of switching to a 5x5 routine for a while to see how it works for me. Here's the routine I came up with

Day 1-Chest
    Bench-5x5
    Incline DB Press-2x8
    Dumbell Flyes-2x8

Day 2-Upper Back
    Chins-5x5
    Bent Over Rows-2x8
    Cable Row-2x8

Day 3-Off

Day 4-Legs
    Squats-5x5
    Leg Press-2x8
    Hamstring Curls-2x8

Day 5-Arms
    Dumbell Curls-5x5
    Close Grip Bench-5x5
    Preacher Curls-2x8
    Tricep Pushdowns-2x8

Day 6-Off

Day 7-Lower Back/Traps
    Deads-5x5
    Shrugs-2x8
    Reverse Hypers-2x8

If anybody's tried a routine like this, or if any of you have any suggestions for modifications to my routine, please let me know

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's fine. There's nothing magic about 5x5, it's just easy to remember. A few reps or sets in either direction will be fine too.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I use a 5x5, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    It's fine. There's nothing magic about 5x5, it's just easy to remember. A few reps or sets in either direction will be fine too.
    Yeah, the thing that appealed to me most about the 5x5 is its simplicity. The only thing I'm worried about is possibly overtraining by doing 5x5 squats and 5x5 deads in the same week

I like 5x5 for plateau-busting.

I think you'll be fine with the squats and the deads. They're spaced far enough apart.

Born -> Ireland, college @ Upenn, Philadelphia. Back in Dublin
    If you want something fun try 10x10. Was a great mass builder for me and my workout partner.
    Start 7` @ 244lbs. (1/Sept/04) --> Bulked 7` @ 277lbs. (05/01/05)
    Most recent Jan 4th 2007 @ 122kilo(268lbs)
    Bf 14.3% as of 28th Oct 06.

Current/
    Bench 300/
    Dead 455/
    Squat 345/

Quote Originally Posted by RaginT
    If you want something fun try 10x10. Was a great mass builder for me and my workout partner.
    How is this good for mass building?

(not dissing you - I'd just like to understand it better)

Its called GVT (German Volume Training) and its some german(maybe russian)'s idea i guess. He has his wrestlers use it in the off season and it aparently (according to the articels i read) not uncommon for them to go up a weight class in the off season

The article and training style seemed intersting (search for GVT) so we tried it. The 10x10 with fixed rest of 90's really keeps the workouts intense, after having done 6 weeks as recommended of it, i really liked it and i gained from it. I think it works just from the need for greater muscle recruitment due to the high volume. The last couple of sets i am figuring require the smaller muscles to get involved because the larger or more readily recruited ones are fatigued. I'm guessing at the science, but over training was not an issue on this program as i had worried. Workouts were short and after the first couple of weeks your body adjusts to the demands and supersetting chest and back for 10 sets doesnt seems so tough anymore.

Note you only do it for 6 weeks at a time to aciod over training, with 3 weeks off you can go on to 10x6 for 6 more weeks. I'm currently starting this stage.

Current/
    Bench 300/
    Dead 455/
    Squat 345/

Cool. Thanks very much for this.

I have, on occasion, done 10x10 for squats. I just didn't know where it came from.

I hate GVT.

If it works, fantastic, but I've never found that the gain is worth the pain. Indeed, so many sets and reps really compromise the load factors, but maybe that's because I'm not hardcore enough! I imagine that it is very person-specific.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Its called GVT (German Volume Training) and its some german(maybe russian)'s idea i guess. He has his wrestlers use it in the off season and it aparently (according to the articels i read) not uncommon for them to go up a weight class in the off season

The article and training style seemed intersting (search for GVT) so we tried it. The 10x10 with fixed rest of 90's really keeps the workouts intense, after having done 6 weeks as recommended of it, i really liked it and i gained from it. I think it works just from the need for greater muscle recruitment due to the high volume. The last couple of sets i am figuring require the smaller muscles to get involved because the larger or more readily recruited ones are fatigued. I'm guessing at the science, but over training was not an issue on this program as i had worried. Workouts were short and after the first couple of weeks your body adjusts to the demands and supersetting chest and back for 10 sets doesnt seems so tough anymore.

Note you only do it for 6 weeks at a time to aciod over training, with 3 weeks off you can go on to 10x6 for 6 more weeks. I'm currently starting this stage.
    This **** sounds hardcore. I might have to try it, but 10X10 squats would probalby kill me, haha. Sounds like a good challenge

By the way, you're a f#$king beast. 7' tall?!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    This **** sounds hardcore. I might have to try it, but 10X10 squats would probalby kill me, haha. Sounds like a good challenge

By the way, you're a f#$king beast. 7' tall?!!?!
    try 20x20 or 50x50, now thats hardcore! HOUGE!!
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    try 20x20 or 50x50, now thats hardcore! HOUGE!!
    I was just joking when I said 10X10 squats would probably kill me, but 20X20 squats probably would ACTUALLY kill me, haha

I wont lie the first few weeks did nearly kill me, i was pulling my self under the bar on squat day, but once i adjusted to the volume it wasn't nearly as bad. You forget about it untill about set 5, and then sh!t you're half way done, and once u get to set 8 u cant quit you've come this far, so it all gets done.

Current/
    Bench 300/
    Dead 455/
    Squat 345/

I do 5x5 but only when im either stuck or when ive been at the same reps and sets for too long. I try to switch things up often.

I wont lie the first few weeks did nearly kill me, i was pulling my self under the bar on squat day, but once i adjusted to the volume it wasn't nearly as bad. You forget about it untill about set 5, and then sh!t you're half way done, and once u get to set 8 u cant quit you've come this far, so it all gets done.

could you give me an example of this workout routine?
    I am unclear of what u mean by 10 x 10... but very curious

I tried 5X5 for a while and really didnt enjoy it. I like lower volume higher intensity workouts and really felt like I was spinning my wheels with a 5X5. But that's just me.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST