The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weak bench or wrong form?

When doing bflat bench presses, i try to bring the bar down all the way down and touch my chest. As a result, the most weight I can do is 155 for 5 sets, 5-6 reps each. I think of myself as a fairly strong guy, but the bench is simply unacceptable. Yesterday I saw a gentleman in his 60's, bench 225 for 6 reps with ease. I think I must be doing something wrong because I should be benching way more. Most of the guys in the gym never bring the weight down anywhere near the chest.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

By not bringing the weight to your chest you are basically doing a half rep and cheating yourself. Sure if you do it you can lift a bit more weight, but it isnt doing anything but fueling your e-peen. Touch your chest...its proper as far as I know. :o

Do you get sore from doing bench? It seems like you are very concerned about how much people see you benching... If you get sore then just keep working it, increase the weight everytime you work chest, even if it is by 2.5 lbs. How often do you lift chest? You shouldn't do it any more than twice a week, tops. I used to touch the bar to my chest, but now i stop about 3-4 inches from my chest because i dislocated my shoulder snowboarding and my dr's told me I should't break the plane of my body with my elbows, so i stop when my elbow is at a 90 degree angle. I would still be lifting the same weight if i was touching the bar to my chest anyway... Just keep working at it, do tricep work, and everytime you lift try to lift as much as you can. Any weight you can get 10 reps out of, without some grunting, is almost not worth doing.

Why are you doing 5 sets anyway? You doing a pyramid? Knock that to 2-3 sets of hard lifting. Tear those chest muscle fibers up and then you'll really start to grow.
    Last edited by trfe; 05-10-2005 at 08:13 AM.

Full reps with a heavy weight (heavy for you, not your concept of what is heavy) on any exercise will make you grow over time provided you eat enough and well, sleep, and continue to lift.

Typically, there will always be someone bigger or stronger than you... don't let it discourage you. If anything, as far as the people doing half reps go, let your form be an example to them.

I do chest once per week.I am only concerned that I am doing something way wrong and not pushing my limits. I think at times my hand placement on the bar is wrong, or I am bringing the weight down at an angle. Is there a how to bench press for dummies tutorial or something? I definately get sore after workouts and I have been getting progress visually, but not strength. I am a 193 pound 23 year old, 155 is plain wrong for someone who's been training for 2 years. I have never had a training partner, and my biggest fear is that I have simply been doing it wrong all these years and that's why I am not progressing. Step by step...how do you do it?
    Last edited by dualman7; 05-10-2005 at 07:56 AM.

dude...this is one of those things that are easier shown than explained... Where do you workout? If you lift at a gym ask those around you for advice. Trainers, guys who look like they have been doing it for awhile. When i see someone doing something that I think is interesting or could be helpful to me I wait until they finish and ask them about the exercise or their form. If you are lifting at home I would go to a gym nearby, see if you can lift there for a week(many gyms let you try them out for a few days or a few weeks) and watch how others do it, talk to people. This is how you will be able to figure out if you are doing anything wrong.

Oh also how tall are you? If you are 6'4'' 193 lbs I can see why you are lifting that much...

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trfe
    Where do you workout? If you lift at a gym ask those around you for advice.
    I wouldn't ask for advice at a gym where no one knows how to do full reps.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

i am 5'10, 193.

How can you bench wrong!!!????????? It' probably the simplest excersise out there.

- keep your butt firmly planted on the bench
    - avoid arching your back
    - keep feet planted on the ground
    - grasp bar
    - bring it down to your chest around your nipples (do not bounce the bar off your chest)
    - push the bar up
    - remember to breath

it's not exactly rocket science.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    Why?

where do you hold the bar? I am not really sure how wide my hands should be.

Whatever is most comfortable I hold it right on the inside of the smooth narrow rings. My brother hodls it on the outside.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    How can you bench wrong!!!????????? It' probably the simplest excersise out there.

- keep your butt firmly planted on the bench
    - keep feet planted on the ground
    - grasp bar
    - bring it down to your chest around your nipples (do not bounce the bar off your chest)
    - push the bar up
    - remember to breath

it's not exactly rocket science.
    Actually there is much, much more to it than that.

-Pull your shoulder blades together and tighten your lats
    -Bring the bar down low (below nipples if possible) make sure you are pressing straight up (shortest distance).
    -Fill your chest with air
    -Keep your elbows tucked in (comes with bring the bar low)
    -Train your lats and tris
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Banned
    Definitly gotta touch that chest...Not to sound like a dick but mabye your not as strong as you think you are...just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by trfe
    Do you get sore from doing bench? It seems like you are very concerned about how much people see you benching... If you get sore then just keep working it,
    Being sore is not an indication that you've properly worked a muscle group.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

There was a thread about this a little while ago. for some people touching the chest causes serious shoulder problems. For example my brother has bad rotator cuffs. If he goes about 1-2" from the chest anythign lower and its serious shoulder problems. Its all about finding your own range of motion. Not everyones goes down all the way to the chest.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

How Strong are your tri's and lats? You may be hitting a bottleneck that has nothing to do with your chest. When you fail do you fail right on your chest or do you get stuck haflway up? 5'10 193 is pretty bulky, iw ould expect your bench to be higher, especially having lifted for 2 years. Whats your bf%?
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutz981
    Definitly gotta touch that chest...Not to sound like a dick but mabye your not as strong as you think you are...just my .02
    I agree with this. The problem is probably that you simply are not strong enough to bench more than 155 for sets.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
    Actually there is much, much more to it than that.

-Pull your shoulder blades together and tighten your lats
    -Bring the bar down low (below nipples if possible) make sure you are pressing straight up (shortest distance).
    -Fill your chest with air
    -Keep your elbows tucked in (comes with bring the bar low)
    -Train your lats and tris
    why would you keep your elbows in? wouldn't that hit the tri's more then the pecks?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate
    why would you keep your elbows in? wouldn't that hit the tri's more then the pecks?
    Not if your grip is still wide. The purpose is to take the strain off the shoulders. Yes, the triceps will get more involved, but tris are very important in benching.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by dualman7
    When doing bflat bench presses, i try to bring the bar down all the way down and touch my chest. As a result, the most weight I can do is 155 for 5 sets, 5-6 reps each. I think of myself as a fairly strong guy, but the bench is simply unacceptable. Yesterday I saw a gentleman in his 60's, bench 225 for 6 reps with ease. I think I must be doing something wrong because I should be benching way more. Most of the guys in the gym never bring the weight down anywhere near the chest.
    wow i saw this and had to say something...you say that since this guy is benching 225 and he is in his 60's and you are young and can only bench 155 for 5 sets...that you should be able to do more?

maybe its because this guy has been working out for about half his life compared to you...also...how long have you been working out for? gains arent magically going to come...

go lift...
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brotherofiron
    wow i saw this and had to say something...you say that since this guy is benching 225 and he is in his 60's and you are young and can only bench 155 for 5 sets...that you should be able to do more?

maybe its because this guy has been working out for about half his life compared to you...also...how long have you been working out for? gains arent magically going to come...

go lift...
    Dualman, you can be 90 and benching 400 with years of training. The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself. Just because he's old doesn't mean he doesn't have experience and years of training under his belt. He got that way for a reason...he worked hard for it...as should you.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

why should you aviod arching your back?
    age-14 weight-145 height-5'9
    bench 190lbs (raw)
    squat 285lbs (raw)
    deadlift 280lbs (raw)

400m dash 67.3secs
    vertical leap 23 inches.

goals
    bench 205lbs (raw)
    squat 315lbs(suit @ wraps)
    deadlift 315lbs (suit)

400m dash 65.secs
    vertical leap 25.

Journal-http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...93#post1075493

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You can arch your back slightly, but not so much that your rear is off the bench. Trying to NOT arch your back prevents this, and allows for better form. Sure...arching your back makes the lifting distance shorter, which allows you to do more weight, but it isn't proper form, and bad form can lead to injury.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

well i arch my back but my butt allwas stays on the bench i dont arch my back that much but i do some is that bad? should i try and keep my back on the bench flat all the time?
    age-14 weight-145 height-5'9
    bench 190lbs (raw)
    squat 285lbs (raw)
    deadlift 280lbs (raw)

400m dash 67.3secs
    vertical leap 23 inches.

goals
    bench 205lbs (raw)
    squat 315lbs(suit @ wraps)
    deadlift 315lbs (suit)

400m dash 65.secs
    vertical leap 25.