The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

After first set, must drop weight big time

How i workout is for my first set I do maximal weight for like 5 reps. But what I notice is that for some exercises after my first set I have to drop weight huge in order to do 5 reps again. Actually if I do 5 reps the first set with dumbell pressing, for my second set using the same weight I could not even do 1 rep.

does this happen to anyone here? Is my best method to keep dropping the weight for the later sets until I can do 5 or so reps again?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you doing a warm up set?

How long are you resting before you do another set?

Yeah thats pretty unusual. It would be nice to know how long you rest and how much weight you are needing to drop to complete your other sets. I usually need about 3 minutes rest between sets when Im doing 5 or less reps on compound lifts.

You might want to try dropping the weight to something you can handle for 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps and see if that helps.

Well doesn't it make sense that if you use all your energy on the first set, you won't be able to do as much the second time? You just have low endurance. If that's something you care about, then you can work on it. Otherwise don't worry about it. If you're training so hard that there's a big dropoff after the first set or two, then you might not need so many sets.

Wait longer or better yet, go through one set of your entire routine and then come back for the second set - I find this keeps my heart rate up and speeds up my total time. Of course, I have to save bi's and tri' to the end or I'll burn out.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Might be a nutrition issue.

If your carbs are too low, you can often bonk like this. Also, if you do any cardio before lifting you can screw yourself up for the heavy lifts.

Banned
    Rest more in between sets...and like the wise young lady said...Eat more

I used to lift like that, I would say you need a lot more warmup sets for your big lifts. I have had amazing success warming up for bench, deadlift, and squats like this:

Where 100% is your 5-rep max

10% x 20 (or just the bar)
    40% x 12
    60% x 8
    85% x 3
    100% x 1
    100% x 5
    100% x 5
    100% x 5