The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cortisol?

Cortisol?

I hear about cortisol causing you not to lose weight no matter what. I mean is this real ? Is there anyway to determine if it is affecting me?
    I want to be a gladiator on Spartacus. Or at least be on the same cycle as them.

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by NormalDude
    I hear about cortisol causing you not to lose weight no matter what. I mean is this real ? Is there anyway to determine if it is affecting me?

cortisol is real, but unless you are overtraining I doubt your cortisol is high. cortisol is a stress hormone, influenced by both mental and physical stress. I asked my doctor about this one time and he said that those utlra high levels that those tv ads talk about are hard to come by unless you are severly overtraining and mentally stressed out all the time.

you can go to the doctor and they can take a urine test that measures your cortisol.
    Quote Originally Posted by brickt.

This isn't rocket surgury.

Cortisol is catabolic. Should be pretty good for losing weight. Muscle that is.

Banned
    what about these drugs I see occasionally on TV about "blocking" the cortisol hormones and reducing "fat?" when they say fat, do they mean LBM? if you can give me a detailed answer, that would be great.

i've been told that lack of sleep also raises the levels particularly all nighters
    I don't have time. I make time.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    what about these drugs I see occasionally on TV about "blocking" the cortisol hormones and reducing "fat?" when they say fat, do they mean LBM? if you can give me a detailed answer, that would be great.
    you don't want to block cortisol completely, it has other jobs than store fat. Do a google search on cortisol's functions.
    Quote Originally Posted by brickt.

This isn't rocket surgury.

Andreas Munzer used drugs to remove all cortisol from his body - he died

Grasshoppa
    There's a different between controlling cortisol and striving to completely elminate it. As was mentioned, cortisol is involved in other processes in your body. It is just an unfortunate side effect that it can aid in stress-related fat storage. But, the commercials you see all over TV (do you really listen to every single ad on TV?) totally overblow the situation and make it seem like you just cannot lose fat unless you take this cortisol blocking supplement. That is simply not the case. Supplements are not necessary.

If you want to go the cheap route, though, then simple vitamin C supplementation can help to control cortisol.

I love those commercials, especially the one that says "When is a fat burner worth (insert insane amount of money here)?.....When it works!" I feel bad for the people that actually bought it.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by ReelBigFish
    you don't want to block cortisol completely, it has other jobs than store fat. Do a google search on cortisol's functions.
    exactly. Cortisol serves other functions, and is still necessarily for gaining lean mass. if you block cortisol, the body can't respond naturally.

In other words, too much cortisol, caused by lack of sleep, too much stress, and overtraining WILL hinder fat loss/muscle gain. Normal levels are fine.

If you want to suppress cortisol temporarily you can up your levels of insulin. A lot of people take dextrose with their post work out shake. (when cortisol levels are high)