Thread: Please help: Shoulder Press Injury

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Please help: Injury During Shoulder Press

I have been weight lifting for a little over a year now and have yet to really injure myself, until today. So, I am not sure how concerned I should be or what actions to take.

I was doing my normal shoulder press set: 10 w/45 8 w/47.5 and 6 w/50, but this seemed fairly light for me today so attempted to do one more set with 52.5. I made it to 5 and was going for 6 when I feel my left arm pull backwards and ripping sound coming from shoulder which freaked the hell out of me cause I had never heard that sound before. I immediatly put the weights down and ended my set and went home.

My shoulder still has a full range of motion, I can still touch my fingers behind my back for example, so I don't think I am in serious trouble. But it makes my left shoulder and lat area near my armpit extremly sore, although the pain calms down in a minute or so to just a mild discomfort. My question to you all is how worried should I be about this, like did I mess my rotator cuff up for months to come? Also, what should I do to help it heal and how long should I take off from the gym? I supsect at least a week assuming the pain goes away, but should I wait even longer?

For the future, I will definitely use a spot when doing dumbell presses.. or just stick to lateral raises/upright rows.

Thanks in adance for any help.
    Last edited by AnOddParadigm; 05-12-2005 at 05:03 AM.
    height: 5' 5''
    weight: 140
    Deadlift: 225 (straight leg)
    Squat: 265
    Benchpress: 160 (w/dumbbells on incline. It has been a while since I tried w/Barbell, the only reason too seems to be so I can post it here in a pissing contest, ha!)

First off, I think your screen name is cool.

About the injury...

Give it a few days, and take it for a test drive. If it doesnt' stop hurting, then go see a doc. If you can rotate it, you probably didn't screw up your rotator cuff. Couple tht with the fact that you weren't doing a rotating movement, so I'd say you probably pulled the muscle, or maybe tore it a bit.

Just give it some time, and see how it does...

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the compliment.

After taking some motrin it does feel a lot better so I am not as scarred, but the ripping sound from my shoulder just scarred the **** out of me especially when I couldn't move my shoulder for about 10 seconds after.

I was thinking it may be related to the rotator cuff cause my the dumbbell rotated backwards while doing the press, which was an unintended rotator cuff movement.

Well, at worst it gave me an excuse to join the board rather than just reading the posts..
    Last edited by AnOddParadigm; 05-11-2005 at 11:51 PM.
    height: 5' 5''
    weight: 140
    Deadlift: 225 (straight leg)
    Squat: 265
    Benchpress: 160 (w/dumbbells on incline. It has been a while since I tried w/Barbell, the only reason too seems to be so I can post it here in a pissing contest, ha!)

it's good board. another member had a deltoid pull the othe day, and he described it as a riiiip as well. just give it a bit of time.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

You might find arnold presses easier on your shoulder when you get better. For some reason after my shoulder injury they don't aggravate my shoulder at all.

Bengay seems to do wonders for my shoulders.