Thread: Please help: Shoulder Press Injury

Threaded View

Wannabebig Member

Please help: Injury During Shoulder Press

I have been weight lifting for a little over a year now and have yet to really injure myself, until today. So, I am not sure how concerned I should be or what actions to take.

I was doing my normal shoulder press set: 10 w/45 8 w/47.5 and 6 w/50, but this seemed fairly light for me today so attempted to do one more set with 52.5. I made it to 5 and was going for 6 when I feel my left arm pull backwards and ripping sound coming from shoulder which freaked the hell out of me cause I had never heard that sound before. I immediatly put the weights down and ended my set and went home.

My shoulder still has a full range of motion, I can still touch my fingers behind my back for example, so I don't think I am in serious trouble. But it makes my left shoulder and lat area near my armpit extremly sore, although the pain calms down in a minute or so to just a mild discomfort. My question to you all is how worried should I be about this, like did I mess my rotator cuff up for months to come? Also, what should I do to help it heal and how long should I take off from the gym? I supsect at least a week assuming the pain goes away, but should I wait even longer?

For the future, I will definitely use a spot when doing dumbell presses.. or just stick to lateral raises/upright rows.

Thanks in adance for any help.
    Last edited by AnOddParadigm; 05-12-2005 at 05:03 AM.
    height: 5' 5''
    weight: 140
    Deadlift: 225 (straight leg)
    Squat: 265
    Benchpress: 160 (w/dumbbells on incline. It has been a while since I tried w/Barbell, the only reason too seems to be so I can post it here in a pissing contest, ha!)