The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

The End Of Health Products As We Know It? [Urgent: Please Read]

This load of B.S. was faxed to a local health store where my friend works, and he gave me a copy. I think you should read:

Banning The Sales Of Vitamins Worldwide. Are You Going To Let Them Get Away With This?

Your right to choose your vitamin, mineral and other supplements may end in June of this year (2005). After that, U.S. supplements will be defined and controlled by the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The CODEX ALIMENTARIUS (Food Code) is setting the supplement standards for all countries in the WTO. They will be enforced by the WTO and will override U.S. laws. The U.S. President and Congress agreed to this takeover when the WTO Treaty was signed. Violations are punished by WTO trade sanctions. CODEX drastically restricts vitamins, minerals, herbs and other supplements. "Step 8 (the final stage) is set to begin implementation in June 2005."

The CODE includes:
    (1) No supplement can be sold for preventative or therapeutic use.
    (2) Any potency higher than RDA (minimal strength) is a "drug" requiring a prescription and must be produced by drug companies. Over 5000 safe items now in health stores will be banned, terminating health stores as we know them.
    (3) CODEX regulations become binding internationally.
    (4) New supplements are banned unless given very expensive CODEX testing and approval.

CODEX now applies to Norway and Germany, among others, where zinc tablets rose from $4 per bottle to $52. Echinacea (an ancient immune enhancement herb) rose from $14 to $153 (both examples are now allowed by prescription only). They are now "drugs". Vitamin C above 200 mg, niacin above 32 mg, Vitamins B6 above 4 mg. all are banned over-the-counter as drugs. No amino acids (arginine, lysine, carnitine, etc. = essential amino acids!), essential fatty acids (Omegas 3, 6, 9, etc.) or other essential supplements such as DMEA, DHEA, CoQ10, MSM, beta-carotene, etc. are allowed.

The CODEX rules are not based on real science. They are made by a few people meeting in secret, not necessarily scientists. In 1993 the FDA and drug corporations tried to put all supplements under restriction and prescription. But over 4 million Americans told Congress and the President to protect their freedom of choice on health supplements. The DSHEA Law was passed in 1994, which does so. But this will be overruled by CODEX and the World Trade Organization. Virtually nothing about it has been in the media. What the drug corporations have failed to do through Congress, they have gotten by sneak attack through CODEX with the help of a silent media. What can be done at this late hour?

(1) Spread the word as much as possible. Inform yourselves fully at: www.ahha.org, www.iahf.com, and www.alliance-natural-health.org. (2) Oppose bills S.722 and H.R.3377. These support the CODEX restrictions with U.S. laws, changing the DSHEA Law. (3) Support H.R.1146, which would restore the sovereignty of the U.S. Constitution over CODEX, etc. (4) Express your wishes to the President, Senators and Representatives (they got us into this!) ASAP. (5) Contact multi-level health marketing groups that can get their members to inform the government. (6) Send donations, however small, to the British Alliance for Natural Health (see website previously mentioned). It has succeeded in challenging the CODEX directives in World Court before and they will try it again. They need help financially, having carried the fight effectively for everyone. CODEX and the FDA wish to protect us by controlling supplements in the same way they do prescription drugs.

AGAIN:

In 1993 the FDA and drug corporations tried to put all supplements under restriction and prescription. But over 4 million Americans told Congress and the President to protect their freedom of choice on health supplements.

Covering 30 years (1966 to 1996) it was found that in the U.S. an average of 106,000 hospitalized patients per (290 per day!) die from Adverse Drug Reactions and 2,200,000 need more hospitalization for recovery. These were FDA approved drugs, properly administered by competent professionals in hospitals - - none were considered malpractice. This is the 4th highest cause of death in the U.S.. When combined, these account for 7% of all hospitalized patients. This is equivalent to a 9-11 attack every ten days. There are very few fatalities from supplements or the news would be on every front page. There is no need for more FDA control of supplements than is already in place, which is substantial. Instead of drastically restricting supplements, why doesn't the FDA better control and restrict the dangerous pharmaceutical drugs which are now killing us at the rate of a major airline crash per day?
    Just for reference, here are some people you can write to about all this crap [the addresses were included with this article]:

Sen. John McCain
    241 Russel Senate Office Bldg.
    Washington D.C. 20510
    202-224-2235/202-228-2862

OR

2400 E AZ Biltmore Cir.
    Phoenix, AZ 85016
    1-602-952-2410/602-952-8702

---------------------------------

Sen. Jon Kyl
    730 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
    Washington D.C. 20510
    202-224-4521/202-334-2207

OR

2200 E. Camelback Rd.
    Phoenix, AZ 85016
    602-840-1891/602-840-4848

---> If you can find more addresses, post them here.

I figured this stupid sh*t would effect virtually every single person in this forum, so that's why I put this here. I've already written a few letters to Congress, expressing my concerns on the matter and you should all do the same. If we all pitch in, we can make at least some significant difference. I will not stand for this kind of Nazi-esque way or ruling our health products, and neither should you.

Someone make this a sticky and spread the word about this nonsense to as many people as possible. This all begins in June 2005, so it's not that far away.

More places to go for more info:
    http://ahha.org/codex.htm
    http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~hubbca/codex.htm
    http://www.path-to-health.com/THREATFROMABROAD.html
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...us&btnG=Search
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 05-12-2005 at 03:09 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The FDA has already declared that nothing can prevent, cure or diagnose a disease unless it is a drug. (vitamin C and Echinacea anyone?) Who knows how all this crap will play out in the real world though.

thats a bunch of bull****.

This is the nanny state in full motion. It's apparently what people want - they want the government involved in your personal descisions.

I find it amusing when people who think it's OK for government to tell a private business owner he can't allow smoking in his business, but it's not OK to tell a company what supplements they can or can not sell and how they must sell it... it's all the same.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    This is the nanny state in full motion. It's apparently what people want - they want the government involved in your personal descisions.

I find it amusing when people who think it's OK for government to tell a private business owner he can't allow smoking in his business, but it's not OK to tell a company what supplements they can or can not sell and how they must sell it... it's all the same.

Bit of a difference there Mr. Stagg. Smoking is a proven health risk to oneself and the people around oneself. Over the counter supplements on the other hand are generally not.

One issue is government regulating a dangerous (if legal drug). I see nothing wrong with this. Were this industry NOT regulated, you'd have sales to minors, get swamped with ads...and generally a much higher level of disease all around.

The other issue involves food supplements which need some regulation (in order to prevent manufacturers from making false statements and the like) but hardly require the same level of regulation as the first industry. Simply a waste of time and money.

Allowing the government to tell a business owner what to do when the consumer has a choice is the same weather it's smoking in a bar or selling supplements.

If you don't think a supplement works, you are free not to buy it. If you do think it works, you should be free to buy it.

If you don't want to go someplace where people are smoking, you are free not to go, if you do want to go where people smoke, you are free to do so.

No one if forcing you to buy dangerous supplements, and no one is forcing you to go into a smokey bar.

Same thing. Which is why when you allow the government to do one of them, you are allowing the government to do all of them.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 05-12-2005 at 09:10 AM.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Allowing the government to tell a business owner what to do when the consumer has a choice is the same weather it's smoking in a bar or selling supplements.

If you don't think a supplement works, you are free not to buy it. If you do think it works, you should be free to buy it.

If you don't want to go someplace where people are smoking, you are free not to go, if you do want to go where people smoke, you are free to do so.

No one if forcing you to buy dangerous supplements, and no one is forcing you to go into a smokey bar.

Same thing. Which is why when you allow the government to do one of them, you are allowing the government to do all of them.
    Well that's a whole another can of worms here. I was dealing with the regulation question. Of course someone is free to go or not go to a smoky bar if he chooses. That was never in debate. What I was dealing with here is government's right to regulate a proven dangerous drug as opposed to a non-dangerous one.

But since that was bought up, I would posit that a business owner who owns a place that is open to the general public SHOULD be under more onerous regulation than your average Joe. Regardless of whether that regulation includes smoking or not and regardless of whether that business is a bar or not.

I don't want the restaurant worker who prepares my food, smoking.

I don't want the guy who pumps my gas, smoking

I don't want to see people in the supermarkets I buy my food from, smoking.

In the U.S.A and Canada we don't have to worry about it. Here in Korea the only places I don't have to worry about smoking are my apartment and a hospital. Everywhere else public smoking is pretty much allowed.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-12-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Idling
    Yeah, but the supplements in question aren't necessarily dangerous. If they exceed the RDA and/or if they aren't FDA approved (which is pretty much every weight lifting related supplement out there), then they should be banned, according to the information posted.

Then you support the regulation of supplements, Extreme.

Who 'proves' a drug is dangerous? Who gets to define what a drug is?

Whenyou give the regulatory power to government that basically says 'We are too stupid to make choices', you give them not only regulatory power over what you wanted regulated in the first place, but the ability to define items that should be regulated.

If the government says it's a drug, they can regulate it. We gave that to the government when we let the government regulate drugs (the prohormone ban is an excellent example - the government says it's a drug and whammo, you can't have them any more.)

It's all interrelated to property rights, coersion, and choice. We give up choice becuase we want the government to protect us from 'bad' choices. We then give up defining what 'bad' is.

This is what people mean when they say 'slippery slope'.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 05-12-2005 at 09:39 AM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Idling
    :withstupi

100% Whey Protein isn't FDA approved. I guess that means they would ban that, too. All multivitamin companies will have to re-invent their product to meet the RDA allowances. I just think its nonsense and I don't see how this can be pulled off by the government without chaos from the people. Then again, some people like to be protected by the blanket of the government, so who knows. Hello 1984!

I think it's very important for everyone to understand this.

When you give this regulatory power to the government, and you say that 'X' is bad, so the government should control it, you are opening the door for the government to say 'Y' and 'Z' are also bad and should be regulated or controlled.

I think prohormones suck, and people shouldn't use them. Some people might think the same about caffeine. Who gets to decide? You? Me? The majority? Some 'expert'?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    If they pass this crap before they require all food companies to note trans fats on the NF breakdown label, I will be so pissed! Those are more dangerous than supps.

I don't know how big the vitamin and supplement industry is, nor who the biggest exporters are, but I'm willing to bet that they have some say in this. This will never effect any of us.

Banned
    They want us to be sickly little weaklings, as they're easier to dominate. It's just that simple.

Idling
    Hopefully not. It seems very extreme but there are still many people who would support this. This would take government control to a whole new level and if it indeed passed, it would only go downhill from there. Government slowly likes to ween their way into areas they don't belong. I like my freedom of choice.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar

thanks, progress.

That's usually the first step when I see these, too.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.