Thread: Breathing technique for Squats/Deadlift

Breathing technique for Squats/Deadlift

Can someone explain to me the proper breathing technique for the abovemention exercises? This is how I do it...

Squat: Exhale during the negative (when going down), inhale during the concentric (when driving the bar up)

Deadlift: Exhale during the negative (when going down), inhale during concentric (when driving the bar up)

Is my method correct?

riprogrammazione
    I do the something of the opposite.
    squat & deadlift : inhale during negative, hold breath during concentric contraction, and exhale at the top. When I say I hold my breath, what I'm actually doing is a low grunt into an exhale at the top. Works for me.
    Last edited by Bravo; 05-12-2005 at 03:36 AM.

vsire you need to practice on your breathing. Some ppl like bravo hold their breath during concentric movement and exhale at end of motion. Some ppl exhale after they passed their sticking point

I've read that during squats and deadlifts, you should not breath during the concentric movement because it will affect the integrity of your form. When you flex your abs tightly and don't breathe, you won't expand/contract your rib cage and will maintain proper arch. I'm not sure where I've read this, but I believe it came from a respectable source.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsire
    Can someone explain to me the proper breathing technique for the abovemention exercises? This is how I do it...

Squat: Exhale during the negative (when going down), inhale during the concentric (when driving the bar up)

Deadlift: Exhale during the negative (when going down), inhale during concentric (when driving the bar up)

Is my method correct?
    I think your breathing method is backward... Do you exhale (breathout) during the down phase on bench and inhale (breath in) on the way up.? When i do squat, i'd make sure that i get a lung/stomach full of air by the time i get to parallel. I would then hold my breath until i have gone up past my sticking point, exhale and drive the bar up.
    For deadlift, my breathing method is similar to squat. I'd hold my breath until i get past my sticking point to stabilize and strengthen my core and back. I think for these lifts it is important to have strong core.
    For some reason when i have more fat around the waist, i can squat and dl more. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Vsire

Is my method correct?
    Squat: Inhale hold during the negative (bar going down), release on the positive

Deadlift: Inhale hold on the Positive, release on the negative.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

All big three lifts are the same for breathing, at least on 1 rep attempts. Take a huge breath, then start the lift, exhale after rep is complete, or at the very soonest, just before it's complete, when you are about to lockout.

You should not inhale during the lift. The purpose of the big breath is to create intra-abdominal pressure, to support the trunk of the body, which you should have throughout the entire ROM of the lift.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    EP is right.
    Also, you should inhale with your stomach, not your chest. Try to expand your gut as much as possible. Practice in a mirror without weight. If you wear a belt, don't wear it too tight, so that you have room to expand.