Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out Alone...

is way too skinny!

Working out Alone...

Unfortunately, I have no "partner in crime" when it comes to working out. My best friend isn't really into weight training at all and when I hit the weight room, it is usually by myself.

This means:

No spots on Bench
    No spots on Squat

etc. You get the idea.

Seriously, what should I do? I can't push myself to the limit on some exercises such as squats because of this.

In fact, sometimes when I go to the gym, there is NOBODY in the weight room at all!!

Any advice is great!

Thanks,

John
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

You could use db's for benching, if you can't make the last rep, just lower them back down.

Squatting without a spot isn't so bad. Knowing you dont have someone to spot you really scares your body into getting that last rep up (you'll always find strength somewhere with squats). You can also set the safetys on the squat rack to catch the bar.

Or just ask for a spot, I've never had a stranger at my gym turn me down for a spot although I dont ask for one too often.

is way too skinny!
    But with Dumbell Bench Press are you not working the muscle group as hard due to the absencse of the bar?
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

Unless you're dealing with some serious weight (400+lbs) I really don't see a need for a spotter while squatting. Just squat in a rack with the bars to catch the weight if you can't get back up, I have never used a spotter while squatting (sometimes I get somebody to watch my form for me to see if I'm getting low enough) and I have never come close to getting hurt

Quote Originally Posted by 1997T-Bird
    But with Dumbell Bench Press are you not working the muscle group as hard due to the absencse of the bar?
    Why wouldn't your muscle group work as hard due to the absence of the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    Unless you're dealing with some serious weight (400+lbs) I really don't see a need for a spotter while squatting. Just squat in a rack with the bars to catch the weight if you can't get back up, I have never used a spotter while squatting (sometimes I get somebody to watch my form for me to see if I'm getting low enough) and I have never come close to getting hurt
    I don't know why it would be different for someone lifting 400+, as long as the rack can hold it.
    To the original poster, just do what you gotta do. Use DBs for heavy pressing, use the rack when you can, and think about changing gyms if you really need a spotter.

I workout alone most of the time, and at home. I just had a badass new power rack delived today, so I can finally squat with more than 135. Notice the chairs on the sides of my bench...I roll the dumbells to myself, and put them back on the chairs after pressing them. It works really well for what it is.

This is everything I have..plus the power rack.

Oh, and that's a forearm roller..the wooden thingy...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patz; 05-11-2005 at 10:52 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

mang your forearm roller is long... haha.. is there a reason for that? Mine is about 15 inches. Good ideas with the chair though, since you can't rest them pointy things on your thighs. I'm trying to find a cheap powercage and olympic weighset.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs
    I don't know why it would be different for someone lifting 400+, as long as the rack can hold it.
    Yeah, I don't really see the difference either, but I've heard that powerlifters who are lifting serious weight like to have spotters there for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    mang your forearm roller is long... haha.. is there a reason for that? Mine is about 15 inches. Good ideas with the chair though, since you can't rest them pointy things on your thighs. I'm trying to find a cheap powercage and olympic weighset.

The forearm roller at my gym is well over 36 inches.

i lift w/o a partner. if i feel i need a spot i will ask someone. for the most part though i dont.

i was lifting with my training partner for almost a year and half due to injuries he had to stop all together! so now i lift alone but do ask for a spot when needed!
    Last edited by getfit; 05-12-2005 at 01:17 AM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I workout alone most of the time, and at home. I just had a badass new power rack delived today, so I can finally squat with more than 135. Notice the chairs on the sides of my bench...I roll the dumbells to myself, and put them back on the chairs after pressing them. It works really well for what it is.

This is everything I have..plus the power rack.

Oh, and that's a forearm roller..the wooden thingy...
    I use a chair also for my dumbell bench press.

You can bench in the power rack too. Just set the spotter arms so the bar won't crush your neck if you fail. That should give you enough room so you can turn your head and slide out from under the bar.

Also, try rest/pause reps at the end of sets. When you're not sure if you can get the next rep, stop, count to 10, do a rep, stop, count to 10 and do one last rep. This lets you get those last couple good reps in. When I say "stop" I mean rack the weight, not just hold it in position.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 05-12-2005 at 06:44 AM.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

I rarely need a spot because I usually don't work with weight that I can't rep 7-8 times. If #6 or #7 feels really strained, I'll call it there rather than have to roll the bar off my chest or dump it off my shoulders. I used to do all DB work (except squats/deads) and train to failure.. but I've seen Paul Stagg say more than once that he thinks not training to failure is effective. I'm going to do 6-8 without failure until December and see how it goes.

for me, spotters are great just because when you see someone touching the bar, your mind subconciously thinks they are helping you, and you seem to be able to get that last rep out. Also, they are good for moral support to keep you going when you dont feel like lifting.

The only exercises i really like to have a spotter for are bb presses. Other than that i generally prefer to train alone, but that pretty much never happens.

Ask someone at the gym to spot you if someone is around, otherwise use DBs for bench. You don't need a spotter on squats, just set the bars, and roll it off your shoulders if you get stuck at the bottom.

I worked out for about half a year before brother got into it. Due to differences of schedules right now, we only get one of the three workouts in together as well. Not really something that should stop you. You might need to modify your routine, but that's all.

Also, seeing as you say nobody is around sometime in the weight room, is there normally a PT or sales clerk or anything that runs it? I don't imagine they just leave the gym unattended. Just ask them for a quick spot if really need to.
    LaLa

In my experience, working with someone else is a waste of time. I spend twice as long doing the same work with a partner. Without one, I keep my heartrate up, headphones on, and get in/get out in less than 60 minutes.

Since when do you need a spot for squats?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    i bench and squat in the cage it works for me i too have no partner and the gym is empty at 2:30 AM

Thanks
    Dustin
    5'9" 208lbs BP 205 Squat 240 Deadlift 305

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    Since when do you need a spot for squats?
    I always thought you were supposed to have a spotter for the squat. I am still learning so....

Thanks for the good advice!
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by EllusiveDream
    i bench and squat in the cage it works for me i too have no partner and the gym is empty at 2:30 AM

Thanks
    Dustin

curl in the cage too? :evillaugh
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Disciple#1
    Buy a power rack or dont go to "total" failure.

You should have a good idea of what your reps per set are, just stick to them even if you dont get them all in Eg: 3 sets@10-12reps - 3rd set failure@8 = fine, you'll get 10-12 next time. I work out alone myself mate, just dont sweat the small stuff.

Eat, Train, Rest, grow. Saw that on a guys sig and swear by it
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

Quote Originally Posted by AKraut
    In my experience, working with someone else is a waste of time. I spend twice as long doing the same work with a partner. Without one, I keep my heartrate up, headphones on, and get in/get out in less than 60 minutes.
    I disagree. I often work out with one of my friends (sometimes both) at my house and we all get a good work out in around an hour and a half. It's nice having someone else there to keep you motivated and stuff; when I'm alone, I end up getting sidetracked and sometimes don't do EVERYTHING that I should do on a given day.

--Dan