The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who here has drastically changed the way they look by lifting and watching their diet

My stats now are
    Weight: 179lbs
    Height: 5 feet 8 inches
    Bodyfat: No idea, probably 17-18%,

I watch my diet out of habit, it isn't even a hassle anymore. If I keep working out, is it possible for me to get to 190lbs at like 8% bodyfat naturally? And if so, how many years would this take? Realistically speaking of course.

Anyone else here made a huge transformation over the years?
    Last edited by Dedicated; 05-18-2005 at 06:07 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

yep! i've been lifting for 4yrs i've always been lean but packed on muscle

stats: 5'8 and a half
    weight: now 151 lost a lb
    bf: 16% last time i checked i think i could have gone down to 15% now!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Banned
    Anything is possible with hard work and dedication. I have been lifting for 6-7 months and although the resluts are pretty good Im hoping for more in the future. Its great to look back 7 months ago and see the improvement. Its a long process tho...

With two years of training and eatting properly I went from a lean 110 pounds to a lean 145 pounds.

Too bad St. Patty doesn't post here that much anymore; his story is a great eye-opener.

Started lifting weighing 185 with a 37 inch waist.

I'm currently about 230 with a 36 inch waist.

It took about 10 years, but during that time there were spurts of very drastic change, and long periods of time with little change.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Started about 8 years ago, 6'1" 140, ~10%
    Now, 6'2" 220, ~15%
    Same deal as Paul with the spurts.

Started 1 1/2 years ago, weighing a little over 200 and 30% bodyfat. Now I'm 240-245 20%. Also, I went from benching 185 once to 235 2x10 . It's something I'm very proud of because of the hard work. I've also seen a drastic size gainage.

For anyone who wants to study on it, work at it, listen to those who know, and perservere, it's there for you.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

the question should be, since you started lifting have you been able to attract a higher calibre specimen of the other gender

Trying to get a sixer Ellocodetroit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Me, August 2001, age 38: 170 lbs, no upper body, size 14 lower body
    Me, now, age (almost) 42: 135 lbs, size 2-4
    Holy moley Built. Your hubby must be happy. Good Job.

As for me I got fired in Jan 2005, my old company called me recently and today I interviewed for a postion which that can find a qualified person to do but I can do it, so anyway my old boss say damn your arms and shoulders are alot bigger from the last I saw you. I had smile that lit up the room. I've been doin wbb#1 since Dec 2004. My BF was 12% in my pic currently I'm about 14%. Currently I just wanna stay status qua until the winter and bulk up then. When I got divorced in feb 2004 I was 200 lbs, barely benching 135. Now I weigh 168 lbs maxing at 265. I haven't felt this good since I wrestled in college(1995-96) and weighed 125 with 4-6% BF and benching 215.
    Weight 170 lbs. 5'5"
    Bench: 275 @ 1 rep
    Squat: 225@8 reps
    Dead Lift: 265@ 8 reps
    Ellocodetroit Online Journal

5 years ago I was 190 with 35" waist, wore a 41" shoulder size in suits and a gut that stuck out further then my chest.
    Today I'm 182 with a 32" waist and 44" shoulders in my suits. Only downside is that I have to have all my dress shirts custom tailered. BTW, I'm 5'10.
    Gotta love lifting and drinking about 1/4th the amount of liquer I drank then(college).

-Tim
    Last edited by TJH; 05-18-2005 at 08:50 PM.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    3 yrs ago at 6'2" 179 lbs appx 15% bf.
    NOw
    6'2" 240 lbs at 13%
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I used to be fat
    i dumped ~150 lbs last year and have been lifting ever since. i'm now 170, up 10 lbs from my lowest weight last fall/winter. starting my first cut next week.

thanks WBB. i'm available for poster-boy positions.
    Yes. Taking a dump CAN be considered cardio.

1999: 215-220 lbs, hardly any muscle, all fat.
    EDIT: size 38-40 pants

2005: 200-210, lots more muscle, fat (but nowhere near the amount I had 6 years ago)
    EDIT:size 36 pants.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 05-18-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I wannabebig!
    1999 - 240 lbs and never lifted a weight if I had to guess 30+%bf
    present - 190 / 11% bf

probably would be ahead more than where I am currently if I hadnt been sidetracked by so many things the military threw at me.
    Last edited by ryuage; 05-18-2005 at 09:09 PM.

Age 17, Junior in highschool, 5'5 226lbs. 40 inch waist. 115lb bench.

Age 20, Sophomore in college, 5'7 170lbs. 31 inch waist. 245lb bench.

Diet and exercise have changed my life. My confidence and personality have completely changed. I am in it FOR LIFE!

10/15/02 (Age 16) - ~140 lbs
    5/18/2004 (Age 18) - ~220 lbs / ~11% bf
    My strength hasn't gone up as much as I would have liked, though. I think that it just takes time. I also was close to these stats at the end of last summer, but during first semester this year I really messed up by drinking too much, not lifting or eating enough, and then getting really sick for a few days.

To answer your original question, unless you have a really small frame, I would think you could definitely hit 190 naturally. I think it would be possible to hit your goal within 1.5-2 years with proper training, diet and sleep. 190 is less than 3 pounds per inch, and I think 3ppi at 8% is usually a good goal for natural lifters.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-18-2005 at 10:19 PM.

Started at about 100lbs at 5,6 or so, pretty low bf. Have been off an on lifting for about 3 years. I'm aobut 140lb at 5'7 with pretty much the same bf, around 10%, hoping after getting a job this summer I'm gonna get back into serious lifting and try to gain about 10 pounds this summer.
    Last edited by RussianRocket; 05-18-2005 at 10:12 PM.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Quote Originally Posted by EJFan
    i dumped ~150 lbs last year and have been lifting ever since. i'm now 170, up 10 lbs from my lowest weight last fall/winter. starting my first cut next week.

thanks WBB. i'm available for poster-boy positions.
    lost 150lbs that's incredible congrats to you!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Originally Posted by EJFan
    Im speechless. Amazing accomplishment!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    To answer your original question, unless you have a really small frame, I would think you could definitely hit 190 naturally. I think it would be possible to hit your goal within 1.5-2 years with proper training, diet and sleep. 190 is less than 3 pounds per inch, and I think 3ppi at 8% is usually a good goal for natural lifters.
    I do have a really small frame but maybe I still can do it. PPI that is interesting, I never thought of things that way. All these posts are really inspiring and have given me alot more motivation

**** is real
    8th grade - 150lbs; 5 foot
    9th grade (end) - 100lbs; 5 foot 2
    10th grade (end) - 115lbs; 5 foot 4
    11th grade (now) - 164lbs;5 foot 8

my biggest transformations were from fatass to skeleton from 8th to 9th, and from basically january of this year til now
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Yes.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    September 2004: 5'6" 126lbs
    May 2005: 5'9" 186lbs
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL