The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

how much should i squat?

since i never worked out my legs compared to my upper body, i recently started doing squats, and i was wondering if my max bench was 250 , how much should i be able to squat??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

They won't always correspond. Start with the bar- if you can do 10 reps cleanly, go to 10 lbs per side, then 25, etc.

You could be up in the 200s if you're naturally strong, or you could be stuck under 100. -shrug-
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

when I started, I struggled with 65lbs for 8 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wassung
    Wow that is worse than me, I thought I was like the worst squatter in the history of the world lol. What do you squat now? How long did it take you to get
    to where you are now?

Keith's all time drug free max squat was 710 lbs, as I recall.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu
    which goes to show u that it doesn't matter where u start, it matters where hard work and discipline take u...and there is now corresponding squat to bench ratio that applies to everyone either...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Wannabebig Member
    That's like squatting 6 of me.

*wee's pants*

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by ilankaplan1
    since i never worked out my legs compared to my upper body, i recently started doing squats, and i was wondering if my max bench was 250 , how much should i be able to squat??

start with the bar.
    then if thats easy add anophter 20 pounds on.
    keep going to it gets hard.
    then stop as your be fatuiging your legs.
    wait to next week and try a bit more.
    give it a while to build up technique as this will help your squat go up quickly.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Gooooo!!!! thats amazing, huge props for all the hard work and dedication, to go from struggling with 65 to maxing at 710, WOW!!!

To the op; your bench will have almost nothing to do with how much you can squat. Take the advice above and just start with the bar and add weight until it gets hard. It might also be a good idea to get someone who squats regularly, and has GOOD form, to watch you and give you pointers so you don't begin with bad habits or bad form.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

yeah dude.. start out light... i started out with 135.. but guess what.. i had poor form. My legs can handle it.. but my lower back can't. and that was how my messed up my lower back. so i went back to 95 for ATF squat and build that up slowly. I found that doing heavy deadlift really helps my squat too. Also, i had try 20 squat/deadlift and really saw improvement on squat the week after.

This is how i'd do mine
    12 x bar
    10 x 95
    6 x 135
    5 x 185
    4 x 205
    3 x 215
    2 x 225
    1 x _____ whatever i have the guts for.

I think it took around ten years, or 120 months or 520 weeks or 3560 days to go from 65x 8 to 600 for reps and 700+ for a single. Each workout was hard-the 65x8 was just as hard ( relatively speaking) as 500x8 in later years. You have to develop and maintain the proper mental toughness and discipline which is necessary for you to reach your own potential. This toughness is largely the ability to deal with pain, fatigue and discomfort associated with hard and progressive training. There are tens of thousands of people who want better strength, development and conditioning and they are totally committed to spending two or more hours a day, six days a week in training, they are willing to buy supplements, equipment, they are willing to do just about anything……except to include and embrace pain, fatigue and discomfort as necessary in their training. In fact, everything they do, everything they buy, every excuse they make is to avoid pain, fatigue and discomfort at all costs. The closest thing that I know to a "lifting secret" is this: Once you are willing to be uncomfortable at times in your workout, it does not take long for you to get used to it, in fact you may look forward to it and thrive on it. This is when you will embark on the journey to achieving the potential that lies within you.

let me add one more thing. I was talking with a guy I know who has been lifting for about 8 years and has developed a pretty good squat along with all-around strength and development. Recently he and I were talking and he said " Can I tell you something" and he said it in as if he was embarrassed or was about to confess a crime or something. I said "sure", and he says " After all of these years I still am scared when I am standing in front of the squat rack, preparing to do squats" I laughed and said, "believe me, I have been doing this for 26 years and I still get scared-if I was'nt than I am not training very hard" See, the secret is not to eradicate the "fear" it is too "face" the fear.

The legendary John Wayne said Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.”

well put Duke!

let me add one more thing. I was talking with a guy I know who has been lifting for about 8 years and has developed a pretty good squat along with all-around strength and development. Recently he and I were talking and he said " Can I tell you something" and he said it in as if he was embarrassed or was about to confess a crime or something. I said "sure", and he says " After all of these years I still am scared when I am standing in front of the squat rack, preparing to do squats" I laughed and said, "believe me, I have been doing this for 26 years and I still get scared-if I was'nt than I am not training very hard" See, the secret is not to eradicate the "fear" it is too "face" the fear.

The legendary John Wayne said Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.”

well put Duke!
    well said... i think the squat is the only exercise that i get "scared" before.

"Time to play the game" TheGame's Avatar
    I would try using the Smith Machine to try squating for the first couple of times. It will allow you to rack the weight if it feels too heavy and you can get the feel for a good form. I still mix the my squats every couple of weeks with smith machine so that I can go really heavy and force my legs to push harder.
    "No maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself." Rocky 4
    " You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" Rocky

Might as well just use the leg press. Using the smith to help your real squat is pointless IMO. Just do real squats with a lighter weight, then work up to a heavier one.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I think it took around ten years, or 120 months or 520 weeks or 3560 days to go from 65x 8 to 600 for reps and 700+ for a single. Each workout was hard-the 65x8 was just as hard ( relatively speaking) as 500x8 in later years. You have to develop and maintain the proper mental toughness and discipline which is necessary for you to reach your own potential. This toughness is largely the ability to deal with pain, fatigue and discomfort associated with hard and progressive training. There are tens of thousands of people who want better strength, development and conditioning and they are totally committed to spending two or more hours a day, six days a week in training, they are willing to buy supplements, equipment, they are willing to do just about anything……except to include and embrace pain, fatigue and discomfort as necessary in their training. In fact, everything they do, everything they buy, every excuse they make is to avoid pain, fatigue and discomfort at all costs. The closest thing that I know to a "lifting secret" is this: Once you are willing to be uncomfortable at times in your workout, it does not take long for you to get used to it, in fact you may look forward to it and thrive on it. This is when you will embark on the journey to achieving the potential that lies within you.
    This is one of the best posts I've ever seen.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    :withstupi
    Man if that doesn't inspire you...nothing will!
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

Someone who is exactly as weak as i was a few months ago starting. This gives me an incredible amount of hope. Man if i could be squatting 700 at age 26...
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

well put Duke!

wow that is something i dont think i will forget and is prob the greatest post iv seen!!
    age-14 weight-145 height-5'9
    bench 190lbs (raw)
    squat 285lbs (raw)
    deadlift 280lbs (raw)

400m dash 67.3secs
    vertical leap 23 inches.

goals
    bench 205lbs (raw)
    squat 315lbs(suit @ wraps)
    deadlift 315lbs (suit)

400m dash 65.secs
    vertical leap 25.

Journal-http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...93#post1075493

Not gonna lie, I get scared crapless before squatting and deadlifting...

Squatting cuz I always think I'm going to kill myself...

Deadlift because I'm deathly afraid of not being able to get the bar off the ground at higher weights after I'm fatigued... Usually that fear is enough to make myself get the bar off the ground.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

ive started about a month ago and right now I do 200 pound squats.. 185 deadlift.. 110 pound bench press

great posts, keith..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    I'm on a lot of forums for many different topics for many years now and it might be the best of all time. Incredible post.

-Tim