The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Do you have to work legs

hey im 17, 6 foot, i weigh 148lbs. I love lifting weights, but i dont want to work my legs because i dont care about my legs at all. I dont want to have big legs. I just want to have a strong chest, shoulders, back, arms. I dont want to have big legs, i hate working legs and im not into working them when i do because i dont care if there not big. So can i stop working my legs, or do i have to work them to get big everywhere else, because if i dont have to work my legs to get big then im not going to. No one in my gym works there legs and there all big, so do i have to work my legs?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're obviously never going to, so why ask? Will you change your mind after everyone here tells you that to be a well-rounded ANY kind of lifter, you must work your whole body? What about when they tell you about symetry? Or the asthetics to having a well-developed upper body and a ****ty lower one?

So here's the answer: Yes, you HAVE to.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

if you want to be big anywhere at all you need to work legs.

plus if you have weak legs there is almost NO reason (aside from climbing and just looking like you have a big upper body) that having a bigger upperbody helps you in the real world at all.

Banned
    Yep you sure do. THey also help you in upper body growth. Also a lot of your muscle mass is located in your legs. They are vital for overall good health and improvement. People with huge upper bodies and small legs look like idiots TBH.

You don't HAVE to work your legs... nobody's gonna force ya lol but from personal experience with first neglecting legs and then working legs, I would say it's a very good idea if you are at all serious about weightlifting (which I assume you are being that we're on a site dedicated to weightlifting ). There are many benefits to training legs. Some arguments made for training legs are:

1) Heavy compound movements like squats that have a large ROM work a huge amount of muscles due to the fact that the movement is stabilized by the entire body.

2) Squats also boost your hormones due to the nature of the lift. This in turn increases overall strength/mass.

3) If you ever plan on getting big at all you will have an upper body that is not proportionate to your lower body. (This just looks stupid)

I'm kinda tired atm so I can't really think of anything else but you get the idea... Training legs will help your overall strength/mass. Give it a try and see what you think.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

yeah don't work legs.. legs are stupid anyway.. i mean what are they really good for, but walking and running and to support your upperbody. of course as your upperbody gets bigger you'll need stonger lower body to support that.. but who cares right.. working legs is soo overrated.

Wannabebig Member
    There is soooo much literature about this out there about this. Hell, just use the search function, your not the first person here to answer this. But YES! LEGS ARE CRITICAL! First, the amount of testerone produced from squats is unmatched by any other exercise and will produce growth throughout the body. Also, when it comes to functional strength, muscle that is good for anything besides show, come mainly from you lower body. If you ever intend to do any sport, I don't care which one, your leg strength are your core. Even the majority of a good punch comes from the legs. As for looks, which seems to be your goal, your body isn't gonna look balanced at all and it will show. So many other reasons why legs are important but they have been posted here quite a few times..

And no one at your gym works legs? Bull****
    Last edited by AnOddParadigm; 05-17-2005 at 03:54 PM.
    height: 5' 5''
    weight: 140
    Deadlift: 225 (straight leg)
    Squat: 265
    Benchpress: 160 (w/dumbbells on incline. It has been a while since I tried w/Barbell, the only reason too seems to be so I can post it here in a pissing contest, ha!)

Banned
    Im serious when i say no one at my gym works legs, but anyway.
    I will work my legs, can someone help me make a mass building leg workout that i could do to put mass on my legs?

I'm with ANODDPARDAGIM, The man speaks the truth. Test is teh best.
    Last edited by SW; 05-17-2005 at 04:03 PM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

AnOddParadigm: What about people that play basketball in wheelchair? that's an upperbody work. Rowing. Pitching a baseball. Archery. Parallel bars or uneven bars... etc..

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    You don't have to work them but we'll all tease you mercilessly if you don't

:evillaugh

Banned
    Ill work my legs, ill do anything to make my body grow, if i have to work legs then they will be worked, can someone help me make a leg building workout

The WBB1 leg day is pretty good. I do a slight variation of this.

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Think of it this way: if you put a plant in a small pot, its small root system will limit its growth. Put it in a bigger pot, the roots can grow, and so does the plant.

That's kinda how I think of legs.

Make sure you include deep, heavy squats (all the way down, AKA "ass to floor" or ATF squats) and deadlifts - regular or Romanian/SLDL (I prefer RDLs/SLDLs for hamstring work. Regular deads are more of a back exercise to me). I would consider these two compound lifts mandatory.

You can also add in
    leg press - low foot placement for quads, high for hammies/glutes
    good mornings (glutes/posterior chain)
    sissy squats (eccentric quad work)
    leg extensions (concentration on quads)
    leg curls (hamstring concentration)
    walking lunges <-these are amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Think of it this way: if you put a plant in a small pot, its small root system will limit its growth. Put it in a bigger pot, the roots can grow, and so does the plant.
    Such profound wisdom.

I'd suggest at least do 1 leg day per week.

From experience, me and a mate have been working out 3-5 days per week for 4 months. He doesnt do legs at all, and his upper body gained at least as much muscle as mine. The testosterone boost is probably overrated.

Then again, to his own admission, he plans to wear baggy pants mostly.

In that time, my legs are like a steam train now. I didnt think I wanted strong legs, but god damn it they feel great, like iron, and I like it. Plus I've had a few comments about my a$$ from a girl. Yeah legs are hard work, but you'll be glad you did it.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilderdw
    hey im 17, 6 foot, i weigh 148lbs.
    This is because you don't work your legs.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, I exaggerated. Basketball in a wheelchair? Well.. ok, technicality. Rowing, got me there, that is one legitimate sport that doesn't require much leg strength. I guess I would make the quantification of sports where you are upright. Archery, I don't know much about, but I am sure it takes a lot of muscles throughout your entire body to keep yourself stable. But, I honestly don't know **** about it. What about darts? Table Tennis? I don't know what muscles they use.

Parallel bars and such, some gymnastic events are upperbody, but I think gymnastics in general requires more all around body strength than almost any sports, off the top of my head at least.

So yeah, I made a bad quantification, but do you agree that lower body strength is more important in the far majority of sports (for people who have working legs, of course) than upperbody strength. Was just trying to get the point that although it is often your arms are appearing to do the work, a surprising amount of the power is coming through your legs/core in most real life activities.

Oh, armwrestling.. yeah, no legs there baby!
    height: 5' 5''
    weight: 140
    Deadlift: 225 (straight leg)
    Squat: 265
    Benchpress: 160 (w/dumbbells on incline. It has been a while since I tried w/Barbell, the only reason too seems to be so I can post it here in a pissing contest, ha!)

ok i don't want to rant but why on earth do people have this nonsense of not working their legs i mean c'mon! anyways nuff said!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    This is because you don't work your legs.
    ROFL!!!!!! ****ING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

And Built's Wisdom is phenomenal. I'm glad you are here...to nicely take shots at Newbies in a nonoffending, womanlike way.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Tons of people are huge and don't work their legs, which disproves the you 'MUST' work your legs to get big theory, and also disproves the 'the body grows as a whole' theory. I don't believe you HAVE to work your legs, in fact, unless you wanna be a bodybuilder, you don't have to work every muscle group. Just work the muscles you want to develop, if your not after competition, theres no need to kill yourself to look 'proportionate' and develop muscles which youve stated you don't even care to attain. Just cus some random people on a weightlifting forums tell me i'll look dumb if I don't train legs doesn't mean I have to change my whole routine just to fit suit their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy
    Tons of people are huge and don't work their legs, which disproves the you 'MUST' work your legs to get big theory, and also disproves the 'the body grows as a whole' theory. I don't believe you HAVE to work your legs, in fact, unless you wanna be a bodybuilder, you don't have to work every muscle group. Just work the muscles you want to develop, if your not after competition, theres no need to kill yourself to look 'proportionate' and develop muscles which youve stated you don't even care to attain. Just cus some random people on a weightlifting forums tell me i'll look dumb if I don't train legs doesn't mean I have to change my whole routine just to fit suit their opinions.
    huh? what?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Yes,it so frickin does.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Let's see you go from 130 lbs to 200+ lbs without any leg work.

It's one thing to be naturally somewhat large and not work your legs, but it's a whole different animal to start off small and become big. Dip****s like you are looking for reasons to be pussies, so you'll ignore little factoids like that.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Pix!!!