The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How long do you cut or bulk? ... and other Qs

I have been getting back into lifting over the past 5 months. I have been trying to "bulk", but I have a real tough time stuffing food in my face. I simply try to eat BEFORE I become hungry. I have gained about 17 lbs so far, mostly muscle and some fat. I'm not very comfortable with the little fat I have put on, but I'm reading a lot here and sticking with it. Thanks everyone.

So, how long should a bulk last?
    How long should a cut last? Or, does it just depend on the results you want?
    I am the type who has a hard time putting on weight. What results can I expect from a cut? Do people lose 5 lbs of mostly fat in a month or what??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

[QUOTE=SoloScott]So, how long should a bulk last?
    it just depend on the results you want
    QUOTE]

What results can I expect from a cut? Do people lose 5 lbs of mostly fat in a month or what??
    Depends on how well you stick to your diet. You can lose 5 lbs of fat in a month. It's possible.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

**** is real
    most people here will say to bulk til you're at a bodyfat that you can't stand anymore...since it's summer i stopped bulking because i'd rather not have a huge gut in tshirts (winter i could care less, no one sees me w/o a shirt on really anyway)

for cutting, i was running til i hurt my back, it still hurts a little to run so i want to wait for it to be completely healed before i start again...but i've just not really been that hungry lately so i'm not eating nearly what i used to be eating, and my gut is going away pretty fast, yet i'm still at the same weight when i wake up. i don't think you can really go by your weight when you're cutting
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Wannabebig Member
    Never judge your progress by the scale, the mirror is always your best friend. I generally try to stay around 8-12% year round, when I do a bulk I ususally go for about 2-3 months and then cut back down. Just really depends on your goals though. When I do bulk I do a fairly clean bulk so that I do keep bf down. Some will probably disagree with this, but then again I am about the weight I feel comfortable with also, just trying to add an extra pound or so of lean muscle here and there.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 180 - bulking, up to 210
    BodyFat:9% - now ???

The mirror tells me that I want to gain more. However, it is coming into the summer and I'd like to trim down a little. I guess I should have asked, how long do you typically bulk or cut? A gain of about 20 lbs doesn't seem like much, when I will maybe lose 10 lbs cutting. Is that about right?

Also, what about Creatine? I'm taking it now. Is it most beneficial to use creatine when bulking or does it give good results when cutting too?

I hate bulking, but I've been lifting for 2.5 years, and except for first semester this year (where I was trying to bulk but failing miserably) I have been bulking the whole time. I've put on about 80 lbs and my body fat percentage is about the same as when I started. I just focus on 1-2 lbs per week and I eat very clean, avoiding crappy carbs and crappy fats, and I pay a lot of attention to nutrient timing. If you kind of start to plateau in your weight gain, you might want to throw in a couple days where you eat a little below maintenance and then pack on the calories again.

Creatine gives good results when bulking and cutting, just remember that it also adds about 5 lbs of water weight, so when you're on creatine you look a little fatter, although your muscles stay a bit more pumped.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-19-2005 at 10:28 PM.

I cut/bulk until I've reached a goal or am just satisfied.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

**** i've been bulking for the past 3 years.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

[QUOTE=Max-Mex]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloScott
    So, how long should a bulk last?
    it just depend on the results you want
    QUOTE]

Depends on how well you stick to your diet. You can lose 5 lbs of fat in a month. It's possible.

I was on a cut for a month and a half and lost 10 pounds without loosing any strength in any lifts whatsoever. Was it all fat or muscle? Who knows but I was increasing or maintaing all of my lifts during the cut.

Thanks. That gives me some idea that I can be flexible in diet/routine. Can anyone else comment on whether creatine is as effective in cutting as bulking?

When you cut, do you lower your caloric intake and maintain your basic routine? Or, do you clean up your diet a little and add cardio to raise the caloric expenditure?? Or both?

Creatine is as effective for cutting as it is for bulking, yes.

Which means "not at all" for some people, and "somewhat helpful" for others. I'm in the latter camp. I continue to take creatine while cutting.

Oh, and the calorie/cardio question: I personally prefer to do a little cardio so I can avoid cutting calories a little bit. I like to eat food, even if that means I have to "pay" for it.

Thanks for the help Built.