Thread: How does heat/cooking effect calories content

Threaded View

How does heat/cooking effect calories content

I have been using fitday off and on for a while but I've really started to get diligent with it and some things are still confusing to me..

1) Frying with olive oil. I put a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan I fry my eggs in, with olive oil being so calorie dense... how much of it am I actually eating and how much stays in the pan? I know hydrogenated oils are bad but fats are generally confusing to me.

2) According to fitday a large raw egg is 74 calories, but a large scrambled egg is 104 calories... hmmm... perhaps this has to do with thermodynamics or something else i know little about...

3) Fatty red meats like ground beef. I try to buy the leanest possible, but price sometimes forces me to buy ground chuck that is 70% lean or even less. I cook it on a foreman grill which drains off a lot and usually shrinks up the patty but trying to estimate with something like that can lead to a discrepency of 100-200 calories.

I guess this was more of a rant on counting calories in general, we need bioengineers to make an intake monitor that you can wear like a wrist-watch and counts everything for you...
    Last edited by AKraut; 05-19-2005 at 10:48 AM.