The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    77

    rest between sets for max effort wsb sets

    hi, I wanted to know what the rest time between sets for the max effort exercises should be? Also what should be the rest time for the accessory work?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Moderator Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    5,720
    For ME:
    ME ~2-4mins
    DE 20-40seconds
    accessory 30secs to 3mins depending on lift (if im doing something gay like pushdowns 30secs is fine, if im doing something like good ams 3mins does me good)
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

    "A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

    "However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

    Powerlifting Westside Style

  4. #3
    Lifting For Strength
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    106
    I'll usually wait 3-5 minutes between all sets, even more if I'm working very near max.

  5. #4
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,605
    I usually give 2-3 min between normal sets and around 4-5 min if im at a work load at or above 85% of my 1RM

  6. #5
    Do that voodoo that he do
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bangor, ME, United States
    Posts
    4,173
    The last two posts have very little to do with Westside Max Effort training.

    Generally give yourself 3-5 minutes between your heavy ME sets. You can use less time while working your way up. Lift when you feel ready to.

    Move through the accessory work a little quicker. Rest periods should generally be a minute to a minute and a half. The point of the accessory stuff is to work your muscles and be done, not hit PR's.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

    "Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

  7. #6
    I'm big fat and ugly! Eric_Yager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Plattsburgh or canastota ny
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slydeflex
    hi, I wanted to know what the rest time between sets for the max effort exercises should be? Also what should be the rest time for the accessory work?
    I train WSB and between my sets of 3 I'll run 3 minutes of rest and between my singles I'll go 5. DE I go about a minute..i've recently swayed from the DE days as they are setup in my program (10x3 for bench, 10-12x2 for squat) because on my bench my DE weight is a weight I can do 55 times not much slower than my speed bench and my squat DE weight I can do 45 times with the same deal so I've taken to doing 4x8s with pause on bench at 55% and 4x8s on box-sits on squat with 55%.

  8. #7
    Do that voodoo that he do
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bangor, ME, United States
    Posts
    4,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Yager
    I train WSB and between my sets of 3 I'll run 3 minutes of rest and between my singles I'll go 5. DE I go about a minute..i've recently swayed from the DE days as they are setup in my program (10x3 for bench, 10-12x2 for squat) because on my bench my DE weight is a weight I can do 55 times not much slower than my speed bench and my squat DE weight I can do 45 times with the same deal so I've taken to doing 4x8s with pause on bench at 55% and 4x8s on box-sits on squat with 55%.
    It sounds to me like you suffer from Wendler Syndrome in that you're faster than you are strong. He just published an article on it, actually. He's doing very little actual speed work at this point as he doesn't feel it helps him much.

    I would almost go even a touch heavier in that case. Three or four sets of five, perhaps.
    Last edited by Isaac Wilkins; 05-21-2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

    "Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

  9. #8
    I'm big fat and ugly! Eric_Yager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Plattsburgh or canastota ny
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    It sounds to me like you suffer from Wendler Syndrome in that you're faster than you are strong. He just published an article on it, actually. He's doing very little actual speed work at this point as he doesn't feel it helps him much.

    I would almost go even a touch heavier in that case. Three or four sets of five, perhaps.
    Do you have a link or anything to the article? I'd like to read it. I've always found that I am faster than I am strong, and that also my repping weights are rather close to my max weights. In my last heavy bench day I opted out of doing max attempts in favor of a 5x5 with increasing weight and I took my last 5, where I was fairly fatigued, up to within 15 pounds of my max single which seems a bit close imo.

  10. #9
    Do that voodoo that he do
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bangor, ME, United States
    Posts
    4,173
    Yeah, it sounds to me like you're in need of more absolute strength. Speed is never a bad thing, of course, but if you can rep that close to your 1RM, then your CNS isn't as tuned in as it could be.

    Here's the article: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/going_heavy.htm
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

    "Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

  11. #10
    Do that voodoo that he do
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bangor, ME, United States
    Posts
    4,173
    Ah. I just read your intro to the board.

    At your strength level speed work probably isn't going to be that useful for you, and that's why you're able to rep so close to your max.

    I'd work on the rep idea and the ME work. Eventually you'll feel your ME work really start to slow down, and that's when I'd think about the speed stuff.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

    "Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

  12. #11
    I'm big fat and ugly! Eric_Yager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Plattsburgh or canastota ny
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    Ah. I just read your intro to the board.

    At your strength level speed work probably isn't going to be that useful for you, and that's why you're able to rep so close to your max.

    I'd work on the rep idea and the ME work. Eventually you'll feel your ME work really start to slow down, and that's when I'd think about the speed stuff.
    Works for me. I've never really seen how doing 10 sets of 3 with 115 pounds is going to get me benching more, so I've thrown occassional repping work after it.

  13. #12
    Do that voodoo that he do
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bangor, ME, United States
    Posts
    4,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Yager
    Works for me. I've never really seen how doing 10 sets of 3 with 115 pounds is going to get me benching more, so I've thrown occassional repping work after it.
    Exactly. At that weight it probably isn't going to help you much.

    You could also occasionally try doing speed work with a much higher percentage of your 1RM. Say 70% or so for 8-10 sets of three. The rep work will probably be more useful most of the time, though.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

    "Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

  14. #13
    I'm big fat and ugly! Eric_Yager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Plattsburgh or canastota ny
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    Exactly. At that weight it probably isn't going to help you much.

    You could also occasionally try doing speed work with a much higher percentage of your 1RM. Say 70% or so for 8-10 sets of three. The rep work will probably be more useful most of the time, though.
    k well i'm in my third week of not doing speeds in favor of 4x8 on my rep day and i pressed 20 pounds over my previous 1RM (i haven't done singles either in favor of 5x5s) so even if its unrelated to cutting the speeds in favor of reps I'm sticking with it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •