The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bulking up

Wannabebig Member

Bulking up

I have been working out since mid-January this year, 5-7days a week. The first 2.5months i did a 5day routine, mon/wed/fri:chest, tri, shoulder--tue/thurs:leg, back, bi at 3 exercises per muscle 3x12. For the last two months i have worked out doing: day 1: chest/tri day 2: back/bi day 3: leg/shoulder and cycle over sometimes resting a day at 3exercises per muscle 3x10. I am 5'8, 22yrs old currently at 135lbs @ 8% bodyfat, up from 121lbs when i started in january.

My goal is to start a bulking cycle in june. I will keep doing same 3 day cycle but change from 3x10 to 3x6 using more weight. Will put weight am planning on doing and put current 3x10 in parenthesis
    Chest: Hammerstrength Bench-- 200lbs(180)
    Hammerstrength Incline-- 130lbs(120)
    Dips-- will keep doing 3x12 with no weight
    Machine pec flys-- 120(105)
    Tricep: Machine extension-- 90(80)
    Overhead db extension--45(40)
    Cable extension-- 110(90)
    Back: Machine lat pulldown: 80(70)
    Seated Row: 90(80)
    Bentover db row: 50(40)
    Bicep: Barbell standing curls: 50(40)
    DB standing curls: 30(25)
    Hammerstrength curls: 60(50)
    Pullups-- will continue doing 3x10 with no weight
    Legs: Machine leg extension: 65(50)
    Machine leg curl: 75(70)
    Calf Raises--will continue doing 10x10 with no weight
    Leg press machine: 250(225)
    Shoulders: Machine shoulder press: 70(60)
    Machine shoulder raise: 65(55)
    I do abs every other day for about 20 minutes. Will adjust weight as needed.

I will also begin taking N-Large2 shakes(3 a day), Creatine(10g a day), L-glutamine(10g a day) as supplements. I have only used whey protein since working out in january so hoping starting these will show some improvement.

Few questions:
    1) Does this seem like a plan to where i could gain a good amount of mass in only a month?

2) Is it okay to mix creatin with the shakes?

3) I dont have a spotter so use hammerstrenght, my max on it today was 310lbs, how would that compare to using free weights?

4) On leg days when i do leg extension and leg press i get a pain under my left knee only, doesnt prevent me from doing the weight just hurts, anyone know what this could be?

5) Is it okay to do no cardio when bulking up?

6) Someone told me when bulking best to not be able to do last rep or two on last set and if you can to increase the weight, is this good advice?

Thanks for your time, Ill try to get some pictures posted of my progress from before working out till now, took pics each month.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the big thing about bulking is your diet. I dont have the time to go over the routine, but you dont even have to change it if you wanted to cut or bulk. Its pretty much the diet when it come sto bulk. Laying off any other activities is a good thing as well, it'll help a bit. THere is no know ratio between HS and free weights, it different person to person.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

I think when bulking 4 times a week at the gym is more than enough some people on here say for bulking 3 times a week is enough its personal prefernce maybe?

heres the answeres i think i no lol
    2 - as far as i no alot of people add creatine to their shakes
    4 - not a clue
    5 - if ure bulking look at it this way if u do say 20 minutes cardio ull burn say 300 cals for example ull then need to eat another 300 on top of ure normal food to make up for that deficit. i dont do any cardio while bulking
    6 -you should always be trying to increase the weight or reps of you sets as this is the way you progress towards your goals
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Hey Dude...

Here's my humble two cents....

With regards to your workout...I know you're using hammers 'cause you don't have a spotter but I still think you should incorporate some freeweight movement. Free weights not only work your primary muscles but also make you involve secondary and stabalizing muscles as well...more muscles stimulated, more growth stimulated. Obviously, you wouldn't be using the same kind of poundage on free weights as compared to machines but the numbers will come if you train consistently.

Also, you're looking to bulk....I agree with what Russian Rocket said...you have to come correct with your diet. Obviously don't go nuts and eat 5 whoppers a day but in order to gain any kind of weight, you have to create a calorie surplus in your body...the way to do that is to eat....Lots.

Additionally, make sure to get lots of rest....You stimulate growth in the gym by breaking down muscles...but you don't grow until you're out of the gym resting.

And to answer your questions.....

Few questions:
    1) Does this seem like a plan to where i could gain a good amount of mass in only a month?

** Depends on how your body responds but generally speaking, most people don't gain ALOT of mass within the first month...maybe the first 3-4 months (maybe).

2) Is it okay to mix creatin with the shakes?

** Yes ... but I hate to sound like a broken record...it's more important to make sure you're diet is correct before using creatine. Remember that creatine is a SUPPLEMENT not a replacement. If you're not coming correct with your diet or training then you're not really supplmenting anything!

3) I dont have a spotter so use hammerstrenght, my max on it today was 310lbs, how would that compare to using free weights?

** Hard to say...but certainly not the same weight....as a rough estimate...anywhere from 30-40% less.

4) On leg days when i do leg extension and leg press i get a pain under my left knee only, doesnt prevent me from doing the weight just hurts, anyone know what this could be?

** Does your knee hurt doing other exercises? If so, then you may want to get that checked out....On leg presses, check your foot placement and try having your feet higher on the platform...I don't do leg extensions as they kill my knees.

5) Is it okay to do no cardio when bulking up?

** Yes...do no cardio (does that make sense?). Or at least don't go overboard if you do. When you do lots of cardio, you do run the risk of breaking down BCAAs (amino acids). This is counterproductive to bulking.

6) Someone told me when bulking best to not be able to do last rep or two on last set and if you can to increase the weight, is this good advice?

** If you're descibing positive failure then yes...You don't always have to go to failure on your lifts....I'm not saying stop if you have 5 reps left in you but personally, I like to lift in the 4-6rep range when bulking. If I can do more than 6, I'd rather increase the poundage til I can only get 6.

Hope this helps!

Good luck

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    AS a long time bulker I have to disagree with some of you and say. DO cardio to some extent to maintain your cardiovascular fitness..
    a 250 lb guy that wheezes after running or sex is not sexy.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Which is exactly why I am doing cardio again.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Im not getting this, does these hammerstrenght machines allow you to lift safely without a spotter???? Anyhow I dont think youll see the gains you would with free weight, they work so many extra stablizer muscles then any "machine could". Also on bulk and getting muscles to respond you cant really do forced reps on a machine, which can really push a muscle further then one person can alone.

You can do forced reps with a steaming pile of dung as long as you have a spotter.
    HS machines are good when you want to go heavy but don't have a spotter. I don't consider them staples but they work.

As long as you have a spotter, which he clearly stated he did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    You can do forced reps with a steaming pile of dung as long as you have a spotter.
    HS machines are good when you want to go heavy but don't have a spotter. I don't consider them staples but they work.

HS machines are not that bad, they are loads better than nautilus style weight stack machines. They have a more natural ROM and generally each lever operates independently of the other so your stronger side isnt doing the work for your weaker side.

Free weights are always better, and i will just ask for a spot from someone. Generally if youre in the gym a lot and people notice you, they will help out because they know you are serious and are there all the time. Most people like to help.

When i forst got started int he gym i made a lot of good progress on HS. Once i figured out where my strength limits were and was able to listen to my bodies signals, it became easier to tell when failure was going to come. After that the transition to free weights without a spotter was easy.

I think nautilus machines should all burn in hell.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I don't see squats or deadlifts in the OP's routine. Why are you neglecting the two best exercises for gaining mass? And you don't even need a spotter for these. A power rack for the squats is all you require.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-20-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I but squats in on leg day and deadlifts for back day and am pretty weak in them atm lol. Also here are the pics i promised:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...48#post1090948