This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the deal with bulking and cutting? To me this seems like a waste of time and effort.

I have been lifting weights for about of year and have never done a bulking or cutting cycle and have continued to make progress. So why is bulking necessary? Rather than bulking to get big and then cutting to get defined why don't you just train without bulking and then avoid having to cut.

Hypothetically, let's say that you bulk for 2 months and gain 15 pounds. You decide that you don't like the new role that is developing so you decide to cut for a month. During this period you lose 10 pounds, returning to your previous bf, for a grand total of 5lbs of new muscle over three months.

So, wouldn't it be just as effective to avoid bulking all together, do weight training AND cardio, avoid having to stuff yourself and getting fat, and gain 5lbs of muscle over three months?

By bulking do you really progress at a significantly faster pace than when you're not bulking? And aren't there health consequences to bulking? I know that bulking -being the amount of food you eat- is not unhealthy, but cutting out cardio certainly is.

Again, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I would really like to have this clarified.