The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My bulking diet might need some help...

my bulking diet needs some help. If you are at all familiar with DC dieting, that is what my goal for this bulking diet is. Here it is. Feel free to give advice:

Meal one: 1 cup of oats mixed with natty pb, 1 egg, 5 whites, 2 cups of skim milk

Meal two: 3 sticks of turkey jerkey, bag of dry oats.

Meal three: snack bag full of peanuts or almonds, 1 turkey sandwich on ww bread.

Meal four: Two turkey sandwiches, 2 cartons of milk (lunch time)

Meal five (pre workout): 1 cup of oats, 1 scoop of whey in skim milk

Meal six (post workout): 1 scoop of whey in skim milk,1 cup of grape juice

Meal seven: 2 chicken breasts, 2 cups of peas or green beans, 2 cups of skim milk

Meal eight: 2 cups of skim milk, 1.5 cups of cottage cheese, 1 tbsp. of natty pb

I may drink more skim milk in the day than posted. I take flax seed oil and a multivitamin with breakfast.

Thanks,
    -MOP

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There's no bulking or cutting. You do cardio, and just keep on adding mass. I should've put that in there. I'll pull up an article that basically explains it. Hold on a sec...

Posted by Dante (Doggcrapp) of bodybuilding.com

If i never hear these words again in my life it will be too soon. I cringe everytime i hear someone (straight from bb.com) say "im coming off a bulker and now im doing a cutter"..What the hell is that?..that is the most idiotic concept ever! So what your doing is taking 2 steps forward for 4 months and then 1.5 steps backward for 4 months and repeating over and over? Talk about a waste of valuable time! Half your freaking year is gone to hell because your cutting for half of it and gaining no muscle. How bout a novel concept for you? How bout getting dramatically larger over time with huge food (protein) intake and super heavy training but adhering to carb cuttoffs and doing cardio (for increasing hunger and keeping bodyfat at bay reasons) so that you stay lean!!!!!!!!!! Gee whiz, might that be a better way?!

Bulker: An Excuse to become a fat **** for the sake of beleiving your putting on muscle mass to others and yourself (and you probably are but at a 50/50 ratio of muscle to fat--wow thats awesome!)

Cutter: 3-5 months of wasted muscle building time (trust me youll be building very little muscle mass during this) in the quest of turning yourself back from a fat slob you turned yourself into to someone presentable.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!! Your 200lbs, eat like a 250lb guy to get freakshow bigger, and train like a rhino with heavy weights to get larger but also do everything in your power (green tea, cardio, carb cuttoffs) to keep at a bodyfat percentage that your proud of or can live with. This is all about turning your body into a muscle building fat burning blast furnace!
    If you do bulking and cutting for the next 2 years and with all those "cutting cycles" adding up to a years time, guess what you just gave up a year of lifting--one year of nonexistant muscle mass accumalation. Thats like lifting for the next 6 years and you only get 3 years of productivity out of it. See the problem is, alot of people try to stay lean year round while also tryng their hardest to put on muscle mass and they do it all wrong. They eat like a 190lber trying to get to 250lbs and think that--by some miracle that will get them there. This is all about becomeing a food processing machine here. Take in a surplus (protein/food), create a demand to put on muscle (seriously heavy lifting/DC training) and then taking care of excesses and burning them off (carb cuttoffs/cardio/thermogenisis)----eating and training like a 300lbs offseason behemoth but doing everything else in your power to be that guy walking around at 7-14% bodyfat (whatever floats your boat)....See its not that hard, just think it out....but most of all dont waste your freaking time taking 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps backward....this is about constant forward progress. If I hear anyone say "cutter" or "bulker" again on this board, you get the official title of "bodybuilding.com guy", like a scarlet letter. This is constant bulking and cutting at the same time and you dont forsake one for the other unless your competing for a show.
    You turn yourself into a machine and you keep that machine evolving. Does anyone in this forum actually beleive that if you are 200lbs and doing cardio 3-4x a week at 30-45 minutes a pop but eating 400-500 grams of protein and a ****load of food to get bigger that - YOUR ACTUALLY NOT GOING TO GET BIGGER BECAUSE OF THAT CARDIO? If your not getting bigger then your either not eating enough or your a young guy whose metabolism is so fast that your one of the lucky ones who doesnt have to do cardio. Thats another story I have to write about one of these days--Cardio. Every time I hear a guy tell me...."I just cant eat enough"....I ask him "are you doing cardio?", and he gives me that puzzled look and thinks "why should I do cardio? I have trouble gaining weight and eating enough".....BINGO!!!!! What do you think cardio does? You get up in the morning and start your day with some cardio I guarentee youll be starving the rest of the day and be eating like a damn horse. IT HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE TIME. Cardio is a two way street--increases hunger and keeps you lean. You have trouble getting bigger? Add cardio first thing in the morning after 30 grams of protein in water and some bcaa's and watch yourself eat the rest of the day! You wont be missing meals, youll be starving. Which leads me to getting off this computer because im starving.I wrote this very fast because im late--so sorry bout that.
    Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 05-24-2005 at 03:45 PM.

Hmmm... I do cardio empty practically every morning, and I'm not starving all day.

???

Anyway, go to www.fitday.com and enter your foods. Let's see some macros.

dunno! you want mass son? eat mass of food -lift mass of iron!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Hmmm... I do cardio empty practically every morning, and I'm not starving all day.

???

I'll try doing it w/o fitday. I have an account there, but don't know the password.

I'll post fats, carbs, and protein once I count it all.

Do that voodoo that he do

???

You don't have a hard time eating enough, either.

Dante is mostly talking about the people that say "I just am not hungry".
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Indeed. I have a hard time not overeating. I have a KILLER appetite. Trust me, I could ALWAYS eat more.

Dammit I love food.

I'd like to beat the crap out of people who complain they're just not hungry enough.

Sorry. Diet + PMS = just be glad you're not hubby.

I just counted macros, and I realized how much I was really eating/drinking.

I counted 306g protein, 69.5g fat, 513g carbs, 4325 calories. I never realized it was that much... Btw, I didn't count protein from oats or stuff like that.

-MOP

Count the calories from everything.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Count the calories from everything.
    I did count calories for everything. I didn't count protein from oats.

wow, that is impressive...especially since u say u have a hard time eating...4300 cals a day doesn't seem like to hard of a time eating...haha

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets

Why not?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

If you didn't count the protein from oats, then you didn't count the calories from that protein, so you didn't count the calories from everything. Pay attention buckaroo:

Count the PROTEIN, CARBS, and FAT from EVERYTHING. This bull**** about not counting protein from "non protein" sources is the dumbest **** I've heard in awhile.

If you didn't count the protein from oats, then you didn't count the calories from that protein, so you didn't count the calories from everything. Pay attention buckaroo:

Count the PROTEIN, CARBS, and FAT from EVERYTHING. This bull**** about not counting protein from "non protein" sources is the dumbest **** I've heard in awhile.
    I looked at the nutrition facts of the oats, looked at calories from a serving of it, wrote it down, and just never wrote down p[rotein. So the CALORIES did get counted. If you must know in order to help me, it would be 25g of protein from the oats. (5g a serving. I eat 5 servings a day. Serving size= 1/2 a cup)
    Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 05-25-2005 at 06:04 AM.

bump. any advice?

What more do you need? Go to fitday, we'll start from there.
    if I train like a horse, would that diet help me decrease body fat while bulking. That is my goal.

Maybe. Try it and let us know. It's super difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, although yes, it is possible.

Maybe. Try it and let us know. It's super difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, although yes, it is possible.
    ok. thanks much!

-MOP

if I train like a horse, would that diet help me decrease body fat while bulking. That is my goal.

Dunno. I don't know YOUR maintenance calories, or the grams protein, carb, fat you're consuming, or the total calories you're consuming.

Or your body fat.

Or your LBM.

Just listing the items you consume won't let anyone help you with this.

I just counted macros, and I realized how much I was really eating/drinking.

I counted 306g protein, 69.5g fat, 513g carbs, 4325 calories. I never realized it was that much...
    Built, I did calculate grams of protein, carbs, fat, and calories. I'm around 12-15% bf, and I weigh about 153 pounds. If that helps, thanks.

-MOP
    Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 05-25-2005 at 03:09 PM.

Dunno. I don't know YOUR maintenance calories, or the grams protein, carb, fat you're consuming, or the total calories you're consuming.

Or your body fat.

Or your LBM.

Just listing the items you consume won't let anyone help you with this.
    My body fat is between 12-15%, meaning that my Lean Body Mass would be between 134.64lbs ( 153(my weight)- 12%(153)=134.64) and 130.05lbs. (153-15%(153)=130.05)

according to your fitday.com, My mantainence calorie count is approximately 3000 calories. ( I put in my age, and that my activity is "standing work" because I play baseball currently.)

My body fat is between 12-15%, meaning that my Lean Body Mass would be between 134.64lbs ( 153(my weight)- 12%(153)=134.64) and 130.05lbs. (153-15%(153)=130.05)

according to your fitday.com, My mantainence calorie count is approximately 3000 calories. ( I put in my age, and that my activity is "standing work" because I play baseball currently.)

Hey - no, this isn't what I meant.

Your maintenance calories aren't an ESTIMATE or a CALCULATION - they're what you actually consume to neither gain or lose weight.

This can only be discovered by tracking on fitday for a while.

It doesn't matter for now, though. You're bulking, and eating about 2g protein per pound, and your calories are nice and high. Just pay attention to your weight gain and your fat gain.

For your macronutrient breakdown, your protein is about 31% of calories, carbs about 53%, and your fats only at about 16%.

It doesn't truly matter where the calories come from once the protein and fat are sufficient, but your fats could afford to come up - by about double. I personally don't like to see fats dropping below 30% of total calories - you need fats to support various endocrine functions, including test production. Perhaps drop your ample carbs down a bit to accomodate the extra calories from fats?

Yes, I will bring my fat intake up. I think I'll start to eat a little bit more peanut butter, almonds, and fish. Btw, I just started drinking green tea, and I will be doing cardio maybe twice a week. Thank you for your help.

-MOP