Thread: Arms Question

Wannabebig Member

Arms Question

I have been working out for about 3 months now and have made some pretty good gains. My dilemma is that my arms are getting stronger but not bigger. For biceps I do preachers and stand up curls. I am eating 2 to 4 meals a day. I dont know what the deal is and if anyone has any good ideas it would be appreciated.

How much weight have you gained in 3 month?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2 meals a day? Eat more.

Wannabebig Member
    I meant how much I can lift. I started doing 50 lbs preacher and I am up to 75. But my arms arent growing to the pace of my strength.

Quote Originally Posted by saleen281
    I meant how much I can lift. I started doing 50 lbs preacher and I am up to 75. But my arms arent growing to the pace of my strength.

To repeat, how much weight have you gained in 3 month? You body, how much?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    about 10 lbs

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    make that 4-6 meals a day and you won't have to ask that question.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I have been working out for about 3 months now and have made some pretty good gains. My dilemma is that my arms are getting stronger but not bigger. For biceps I do preachers and stand up curls. I am eating 2 to 4 meals a day. I dont know what the deal is and if anyone has any good ideas it would be appreciated.

Your arms generally increase in line with your bodyweight ( a rule of thumb is 20-30 lbs gain in bodyweight per inch on the arm.) And what do you do for triceps? Triceps are a bigger muscle than biceps (nearly 2/3 of the upper arm).

Mint
    :withstupi

To put inches on your arm you have to gain weight. For me I put an inch every ten to fifteen pounds.

Wannabebig Member
    I also do tricep extentions and lots of pushups

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I also do tricep extentions and lots of pushups

Close-grip benches would be much more effective (IMHO).
    As would weighted dips. (head up and leaning slightly backwards)

Tricep extensions and pushdowns just don't lend themselves to the level of effort your triceps will experience doing the above two exercises.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 05-25-2005 at 07:33 AM.

I agree. I do very heavy weighted dips(2 - 45lb plates + my weight of 235) as the staple in my triceps routine along with dumbell bench presses and my triceps are fairly large and defined. This nis all I do for triceps period.

Wannabebig Member
    ok sounds like i am gonna change some of my workout then and seem how that goes...thanks guys

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Your arms generally increase in line with your bodyweight ( a rule of thumb is 20-30 lbs gain in bodyweight per inch on the arm.) And what do you do for triceps? Triceps are a bigger muscle than biceps (nearly 2/3 of the upper arm).

I think less maybe around 10-15 pounds per inch..20-30 really sounds like to much for one inch...
    "Geneing Leans Green"

it has always been explained to me that if you want big arms its 70% triceps and 30% biceps... hit your triceps hard

I have a similar problem with my arms. THe thing is arms just don't grow so big so quickly.

Anyway are you sure your arms are not growing? Are you taking measurements?

It seems that my arms didn't grow at all but in reality my arms went from 11 1/8 inch, to 12 7/8 in about 4 and a half months. So thats pretty good results I would think. But if you ask me my arms seem like they never grew.

IF your arms truly are not growing and your getting stronger its becuase your body is just getting more muscle recruitment, its bascially what you don't want if all you want is mass.

Read the following article and you'll know more.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=208

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nito
    I think less maybe around 10-15 pounds per inch..20-30 really sounds like to much for one inch...

To some degree this depends on the height of the person. Someone who is six-six and naturally thin, is going to have different needs than someone who is five-six and stocky.

Stuart McRobert and Bill Starr (two widely known gurus) also make this estimate.

Obviously there is no exact correlation between arm size and weight (so many pounds per inch)...but twenty pounds isn't really all that much if you are over six feet.

Wannabebig Member
    My arms have become more defined than larger. They have grown a little bit but I guess it is a slower process than I thought, or atleast for me it is.