Thread: Scientists Say Sunshine May Prevent Cancer -Vitamin D-3

Scientists Say Sunshine May Prevent Cancer -Vitamin D-3

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050521/D8A7MPFG0.html

I thought this was interesting, and nutrition related.

It also raises test levels too I think 10% or something, I forget, but it's a fairly large percentage.

Sunlight has many benefits, some we barely understand just because the studies aren't there. The body uses sunshine to manufacture vitamin D. People who don't get enough D can develop Ricketts (I think).
    Personally, I believe the main benefits of sunshine are psychological (Mood, circadian rythym, etc.).
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Yea that is why milk is vitamin D fortified cause of ricketts.

Grasshoppa
    Not really new. There are many health benefits to getting sun exposure, but overexposure can also cause cancer.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    Not really new. There are many health benefits to getting sun exposure, but overexposure can also cause cancer.
    :withstupi so very true!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

The sun is suppost to be the best source of Vitamin D. I notice in the winter I get more depressed and just un-motivated. When I get sunshine I feel great. In the summer I always feel the best. Maybe lack of Vitamin D? Big reason why I want to move to FLORIDA!
    Never Giving In.

The sun is good for you, the sun will kill you, make up your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlP
    the sun is good for you! limited exposure

the sun is bad for you with tremedous overexposure can cause skin cancer "melanoma" and yes you can die!
    and various other skin cancers
    Last edited by getfit; 05-24-2005 at 05:04 PM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlP
    Ok. It does both. Mind is made up.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

everything in moderation. Except trans fat
    Never Giving In.

Well, I thought this was interesting:

"People tend to go overboard with even a hint of encouragement to get more sun exposure," Thun said, adding that he'd prefer people get more of the nutrient from food or pills.

But this is difficult. Vitamin D occurs naturally in salmon, tuna and other oily fish, and is routinely added to milk. However, diet accounts for very little of the vitamin D circulating in blood, Giovannucci said.

Supplements contain the nutrient, but most use an old form - D-2 - that is far less potent than the more desirable D-3. Multivitamins typically contain only small amounts of D-2 and include vitamin A, which offsets many of D's benefits.

As a result, pills might not raise vitamin D levels much at all.
    and:

That is why nutrition experts think vitamin D-3 supplements may be especially helpful during winter, and for dark-skinned people all the time.

But too much of the pill variety can cause a dangerous buildup of calcium in the body. The government says 2,000 IUs is the upper daily limit for anyone over a year old.

On the other hand, D from sunshine has no such limit. It's almost impossible to overdose when getting it this way. However, it is possible to get skin cancer. And this is where the dermatology establishment and Dr. Michael Holick part company.
    So should one find these vitamin D-3 supplaments and take 1500 IUs a day? How do you all handle these types of studies? They seem to come out all the time.

it's interesting to think how many of us.. especially in colder climates don't get enough vitamin D threw the winter. Maybe this is why so many people get the winter blues? I know every winter I always feel more down. When spring comes I start to feel better but when i'am going to the beach every so often and playing volleyball or basketball outside I seem to feel like a whole different person. A LOT more energy and just better mentally too. Interesting..maybe the vitamin D supplementation threw the winter would be a good idea. The amounts that come from food are small.
    Last edited by waynis; 05-24-2005 at 08:45 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waynis
    I know every winter I always feel more down. When spring comes I start to feel better but when i'am going to the beach every so often and playing volleyball or basketball outside I seem to feel like a whole different person. A LOT more energy and just better mentally too.
    Same here. Do some research on Seasonal Affective Disorder. I actually bought one of the lamps and it seems to help a little.

My long term plan includes moving to AZ

Arizona is nice. Did you know that you can down hill (snow) ski in the mountainous regions of AZ? Yea, its like the best of both worlds. :-). Plus Brooke Burke is from there. Im just sayin.