The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Aspartame & Weight Loss Article

I can't remember who, but someone was looking for this i think. Anyway, i think this is the one at least. Worth reading either way.

Aspartame & Weight Loss

From Betty Martini <Mission-Possible-USA@altavista.net>
    Subject Dr. James Bowen on Aspartame and Weight Loss
    7-28-00

"The fact that aspartame fattens people is generally well known. We have all seen the post cards and comics that depict an overweight person with a Diet Coke in one hand while reaching for a bowl of corn chips with the other hand. The reason aspartame so strikingly stimulates the appetite is it provides over half of its content in a form of a phenylalanine isolate.

The amino acid phenylalanine outcompetes all the other at enzyme sites in the body. This suppresses the formation of dopamine from tyrosine and the formation of serotonin from tryptophan. The serotonin is the neurotransmitter that reports carbohydrate metabolism. When your serotonin levels are not allowed to raise as they normally do when you eat carbohydrates you crave more and more food. The dopamine is the neurotransmitter that lets you feel satisfied, so when you use aspartame you have unsatisfiable cravings. The aspartame also poisons your metabolism so you cannot burn calories.

One of the major components of the aspartame molecule is methyl alcohol. Methyl alcohol has long been recognized in medicine for its ability to block metabolism. For this reason when doctors see somebody who has been poisoned by ingesting methyl alcohol or methyl esters they can accurately predict the patient will develop a severe acidosis because the food cannot be metabolized in the normal manner and the breakdown products of the methyl alcohol in addition to the acids developed from the blocked metabolism gravely endanger the patients life. NutraSweet, is a very aggravated form of methyl alcohol poisoning.

Moreover, the neuroexcitotoxins act in the brain to stimulate appetite. This is why manufacturers put it into foods. It does not actually change the taste of food at all, but the food taste better to you because your appetite has been stimulated.

Arsenic is routinely included in chicken food when the chickens are being raised for meat production because it poisons the metabolism and the chickens don't burn off the calories, they turn it into fat, and thus they produce rapid weight gain for the farmer.

When the FDA first looked at this molecule they held aspartame off the market for many years because it is a potent chelating agent which carries many heavy metals including arsenic into the body. The heavy metal poisoning from Nutrasweet also poisons your metabolism, blocks the burning of calories and on the long haul this virtually irreversible poisoning from heavy metals will continue to encourage weight gain."

James Bowen, M.D.

More information on aspartame www.dorway.com See last page of protest of National Soft Drink Assoc - on aspartame making you crave carbohydrates Also see Dr. Sandra Cabot's position paper titled Aspartame Makes You Fatter
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

but i'm the crazy one.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

"Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Bollox.

Sorry I just thought that's what Cack would say, as a adamant defender of aspartame, and doesn't necessarily reflect my own personal opinion.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Hmm...

While I realize that I may be merely the exception to the general rule, I currently consume quite a bit of aspartame (equal, diet sodas, etc...) and maintain an extremely low bf.

3:16
    this advert was brought to you by the sugar board.

The apsartame may do the above negative points however, what quanity is required for the aspartame to do that level of damage?

Also may be people who take aspartame have lower serotonin levels as they are eating less sugar and getting less kclas as a result. these people are already hungry(under eating) so going to make the situation worse. SO its lack of food rather than intake of apsartame that lowers serotonin.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Nice.. but:Bollox

Hm.. I may have to support what I said before:

Changes in weight are related to many factors such as diet, exercise and heredity.Products made with aspartame can help with weight control because they are often lower in calories than the same type of products made with sugar or syrups..(1)

Several well-controlled scientific studies have been conducted to determine the effect of aspartame on hunger,satisfaction and food intake,and body weight.
    Based on the overwhelming scientific evidence from these studies,the allegations that aspartame causes increased appetite,food intake or weight gain is simply not true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)Blackburn, George L., Kanders, Beatrice S., Lavin, Philip T., Keller, Susan D. and Whatley, Susan. The effect of aspartame as part of a multidisciplinary weight-control program on short and long-term control of body weight. American Journal for Clinical Nutrition 1997;65:409-18.
    Last edited by Wizard; 12-07-2001 at 11:37 AM.

More evidence that the degree you have, or the proclimation of expertise, can mean absolutely nothing:

"The fact that aspartame fattens people is generally well known.

** By whom? It has the exact same caloric value as water.

We have all seen the post cards and comics that depict an overweight person with a Diet Coke in one hand while reaching for a bowl of corn chips with the other hand.

** I'm no MD, but I usually get my facts from studies in journals, not comics in newspapers.

The reason aspartame so strikingly stimulates the appetite is it provides over half of its content in a form of a phenylalanine isolate.

** Stimulating appetite doesn't make people fat.

The amino acid phenylalanine outcompetes all the other at enzyme sites in the body.

** Outcompetes? WTF?? No source = bollox

This suppresses the formation of dopamine from tyrosine and the formation of serotonin from tryptophan. The serotonin is the neurotransmitter that reports carbohydrate metabolism. When your serotonin levels are not allowed to raise as they normally do when you eat carbohydrates you crave more and more food.

** Uhuh. Of course, insulin has the same effect.

The dopamine is the neurotransmitter that lets you feel satisfied, so when you use aspartame you have unsatisfiable cravings. The aspartame also poisons your metabolism so you cannot burn calories.

** You have to be kidding me.

One of the major components of the aspartame molecule is methyl alcohol. Methyl alcohol has long been recognized in medicine for its ability to block metabolism. For this reason when doctors see somebody who has been poisoned by ingesting methyl alcohol or methyl esters they can accurately predict the patient will develop a severe acidosis because the food cannot be metabolized in the normal manner and the breakdown products of the methyl alcohol in addition to the acids developed from the blocked metabolism gravely endanger the patients life.

** Erm, that isn't what causes the acidosis. Again, this is related to the reactions in the liver and pancreas that effect insulin. Everything gets metabolised... that's the problem!

NutraSweet, is a very aggravated form of methyl alcohol poisoning.

** This is idiocy.

Moreover, the neuroexcitotoxins act in the brain to stimulate appetite. This is why manufacturers put it into foods. It does not actually change the taste of food at all, but the food taste better to you because your appetite has been stimulated.

** Unreal.

Arsenic is routinely included in chicken food when the chickens are being raised for meat production because it poisons the metabolism and the chickens don't burn off the calories, they turn it into fat, and thus they produce rapid weight gain for the farmer.

** Uhuh.

When the FDA first looked at this molecule they held aspartame off the market for many years because it is a potent chelating agent which carries many heavy metals including arsenic into the body. The heavy metal poisoning from Nutrasweet also poisons your metabolism, blocks the burning of calories and on the long haul this virtually irreversible poisoning from heavy metals will continue to encourage weight gain."

** Poinsoning from heavy metals usually effects your BRAIN, not your metabolism. I'd lile a source for this info as well

James Bowen, M.D. = Fukking retard.

If you see an article like this without sources, references, or information from a study in a peer reveiwed journal, just ignore it, OK?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

there is some interesting research being done on neuroexcitotoxins in aspartame causing brain damage in the form of ADD and alzheimers though.

i'll have to locate the info.

But this article says it makes you fat.

That's rong.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Tryska,this is what I came up with after searching for info about aspartame causing brain damage:

--------------------------------------------

-Is it true that aspartame is an "excitotoxin" that causes neurological illnesses such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, ALS and Alzheimer's disease?

-No. Before aspartame came on the market, it withstood rigorous FDA review prior to its approval. It is accepted as safe by major health organizations including the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, the American Diabetes Association (http://www.diabetes.org/main/communi.../aspartame.jsp), The American Dietetic Association (www.eatright.org/adap0598.html), and the Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Medical Association (www.ama-assn.org).

The faulty premise behind these allegations is that consuming large amounts of aspartame causes aspartic acid (one of the amino acids that makes up aspartame) to reach high levels in the blood. Critics claim that these high levels of aspartic acid circulate to the brain and kill nerve cells (neurons) by over-stimulating them.

Carefully conducted scientific research with aspartame shows that this is not possible. Consuming even extraordinarily large amounts of aspartame over a long period of time does not result in high blood levels of aspartic acid.

-------------------------------------------

(1) Stegink LD, "The aspartame story: a model for the clinical testing of a food additive," American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Voll. 46, 1987, pp. 204-15.

(2) Leon AS et al, "Safety of long-term large doses of aspartame," Archives of Internal Medicine, Vol. 149, 1989, pp. 2318-2324.

yeah....i found this site which is quite interesting actually myself...

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/aspfaq.html

actually...blaylock is the doctor i'm most familiar with on this particular topic....i just found a referenced article on neuroexcitotoxins that might be of interest.

http://www.haciendapub.com/article27.html

this is primarily on MSG...but he's been doing research on aspartame as well. I got interested in the topic because of Parkinson's Disease research i was doing...
    Last edited by Tryska; 12-07-2001 at 12:31 PM.

Blocks metabolism. Sounds like bollox.

the only bad thing i see in aspartame (besides the looks i get from friends and family when I reach for the multicolored packets in restaurants) is that its sweet taste sometimes gets me to want more sweet things. When you dont have a lot of sweetness in your diet, you dont crave it as much. But when you put aspartame on everything... I dont know, maybe thats just me. But I have found that switching to non-sugared non-articifial sweetened tea (which I have at every meal) is better for me.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

OMG!! i sent this article to my friend cuz i always thought diet sodas DO make you fat!! o my gosh!!!! what have i done! i gotta correct the wrong? i'm confused. i thought it slows down ur metabolism. while thismay not mean its more fattening than soda, its true that its more fattening that water right?
    "Pumpin ain't easy"