Thread: Squats and appetite

Hybrid View

Squats and appetite

I did squats yesterday for the first time in over a year. I have been working my legs consistently for the past 10 workouts but I just hadn't done squats because I was injured. Well I did 2 sets yesterday and today I can barely walk and my appetite is through the roof. Is my increased appetite because of the squats? And if so, could it be because the squats raised my metabolism or something? I mean why would I be sooo hungry today.

Needless to say I am gonna start doing squats all the time now. My squat strength sucks, so maybe it's time to start adding some mass to my legs :evillaugh

I've also read squats make you release GH or something. I was seeing stars also when I squatted, is this normal? I'm starting to think squats are the ultimate exercise.

Doing major leg lifts such as squats releases alot of testosterone. I dont know about the added hunger but it may have been how you ate before the past few days or that maybe you need the extra food. Squats are a good strenght promoting exercize and building your legs will bring the rest of you right along with it.

Other then DL's I don't think there is another excercise that activates as much muscle as squats. Your increase in appetite is probably partly due to the squats, becasue they activate so much muscle.

If you were not doing them because of an injury, be careful and go slowly when just starting to do them. They are a majore excercise and should be taken seriously. Have fun with them though, nothing like heavy squats to make a body grow!
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

You used a lot of energy. Your body wants calories.

Very simple. I've noticed that very soon after a few intense workouts, I have to eat significantly more food to not be hungry. Like this week!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You used a lot of energy. Your body wants calories.

Very simple. I've noticed that very soon after a few intense workouts, I have to eat significantly more food to not be hungry. Like this week!
    :withstupi i'm just hungry after every workout!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Awesome thanks. I'm gonna start doing deadlifts again tommorow also then.

When I started to do my leg workout.. I also noticed that I seemed a lot hungier like yourself. So maybe there is something there.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    :withstupi i'm just hungry after every workout!

Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I've really bumped up the weight on my deadlift/squat and leg press recently and my hunger is also through the roof.