The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preacher Curls

I feel that standing bb curls are a great mass-builder for your biceps. But when it comes to isolation I just dont think that theyre comparable to an exercise like spider curls where tension is on your biceps throughout the whole range of motion and cheating isnt an option.

Maybe standing supported bb curls are the answer..

3:16
    I quite like preacher curls with a cable attached so you get constant resitence and you can not cheat.

on the cable cross over machine. i drop the cable to the bottom of the pole and lie on the floor(back on floor) and curl. this gives me constant tension and i can't cheat as well. it require a lot of stabilization as well. P.S. open your legs otherwise you get nasty burn marks form the cable on your thighs.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Contrary to popular belief on this board, I believe that preacher curls are a good idea. The problem is most people don't do it correctly. Pretty much they do half a curl. Pffft. The proper way is your fist must be perpendicular to the floor, or in other words it mush be pointing to the floor. The thing is, most guys don't do this, because it means that they have check their ego at the door and use less weights that they can with standing barbell curls. Standing barbell curls will not build anymore mass any quicker than preacher curls than concentration curls. Building bicep mass is a function of how hard you work, proper form and genetics.

breeze-
    Gotta agree bro. I dont think one biceps exercise is all that great over another. I used to do standing bb curls and no i do bb preacher curls and really havnt noticed a difference.

That's what I'm getting at.

It really doesn't matter much.

If you like preacher curls - do 'em.

If you like reverse cross body cable concentration curls - do 'em.

Just keep the basic principles in mind (progression, hard work on basic stuff, blah, blah, blah.)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    I was under the impression that spider curls were simply the preacher bench turned around the other way.

So, instead of your upper arms resting on the long part of the bench, as is the norm with the preachers. The spiders, however, have you with your arms resting over the shorter part of the bench, allowing the movement to start from an even lower position.

Not that this movement will in anyway revolutionize bicep growth as we know it. But, it does give us something else to try.
    Last edited by dancesw/barbell; 12-12-2001 at 03:28 AM.
    ~DWB~

Regardless of what anyone says...90 degree preacher curls are my favorite biceps exercise. The only one that produces a searing pain throughout my bi's every time.