The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: 1RM - drop set

3:16

1RM - drop set

it generally agreed that 1rm has more a nueral effect than hypertrophy as time under tension is not long enough.

However if you do a 1rm then drop the weight by eg 10% then get about 3-5 reps in total.
    Would this be better than just going to faluire on 3-5 reps with out the drop?
    My goals are size and strength. though in later sets i do do higher rep exercise as well.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I was going to try this a few times before but after a 1RM I'm way to fatigued to continue with more sets.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Bigger - i use it on small and large muscles groups as not a powerlifter like your self i have not used it on squats or deads. I mainly have been doing it for shoulder press, bench press and leg press. though the leg press 1RM then drop is very hard on me. but shoulder press is relatively easy(well easier than squating etc).
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

What you are referring to is a technique called REST/PAUSE training. With this method you pick a weight wherein you can only get 1-2 reps, you then drop the weight by a small percentage and attempt another rep or two...you repeat the procedure until you have reached your overall rep goal. This is a very productive method of training, but it is also very intense, and taxing to your nervous system. Use it too often and you will become overtrained. Use it sparingly, and it can be quite productive for size/strength gains.

Actually its more like a variant of wave loading. Working up to a heavy set then dropping weight for an additional set or two is the technique I use, though I don't normally use singles. I've found triples to be more effective.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I thought rest pause you waited about 10-15 seconds before droping the weight and going for more reps?

.. or longer Body. I agree with both Powerman and GoPro. What you are describing is like rest/pause, with the exception you noted that rest/pause includes a rest/pause between reps of 15 seconds or more. What Powerman is describing involves longer rest than you are referring to as well (by my interpretation of his description). So, they are both describing something like what you are asking about, but with significantly greater rest. You are decribing a drop set with the twist of the 1st portion of the set to be only a single rep. I think what you are proposing would work very well indeed for your goals. If you include a few higher rep sets I think you have pretty much run the gamut. I think you should give it a shot and let us know how it goes. Remember to limit your volume on this routine.
    Last edited by chris mason; 12-08-2001 at 05:42 PM.

Yah, basically what I was getting at would be something like

65% 3RM, 80% 3RM, 3RM, (3RM +5-10 if successful), 80% 1RMx8(1-2 sets).

The rest intervals after the 3RM set would be at least 2 minutes if not longer.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

i thought on rest-pause you kept the weight the same but took short intervals between lifting?

ie 200lb bench: 3 reps
    wait 30-60 seconds
    200lbs
    1-2 reps
    wait 30-60 secs
    200lb
    1-2 reps

?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Isn't that what I just said?

i have been doing it over the last month and half.
    Hurt my back a while a go so not squating or deading so not more enrgy to recover for other exercise.
    as bad back been using a shoulder press machine over dumbell or barbell.
    but have increased from 2 plates from the bottom for one hard rep. to going to 2 reps on the bottom plate in a month and half. so its been working for my shoulders anyway.
    though have droped volume as well down a bit so that could also be a reason for growth after stagnating for a while.

roughly my shoulder routine look like this
    1st set) 1-2 reps then drop the weight and go for about 3-5 reps in total
    2nd set) 3-4 reps then drop the weight and go for 6-8 reps
    3rd set) go for 6-8 reps drop the wieght and go for 10-12 reps
    4th set) go for 8-10 reps then drop the wieght for 15 reps.
    the rest between the drop is along as it take to change the pin - 3 seconds.

Thats it, my shoulder are done. I rest about 2-4 minutes between sets.

wow, Chris, i didn't even see your post there man, sorry!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Ok, hold on, waaaaayyyy execessive on the drop sets here. I would suggest you do the first drop set and then follow up with 1-2 sets of maybe 8 and 12 reps respectively. The routine will work a lot better if you give that a go, as well as doing something similar with the rest of your body.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    wow, Chris, i didn't even see your post there man, sorry!
    Am I the Rodney Dangerfield of WBB, or what? Heeheehheee, I can't get no respect 'round here!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Hmm.. This is making me think of something. What if you did a 1RM in a given lift. Wait about 30 seconds. Now, I seriously doubt that you would be able to do that same weight. Drop the weight to your new, temporary 1RM. Okay, then do the same. Do this a crapload (maybe 10 times or so). What would this do for you?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

It would depend on how many times you did it--

The adaptation would be mostly neural if you were only doing singles, though.

Yes, without the 15 second pause it would just be a plain old drop set with a 1rm in the beggining. I guess i read it too fast...my bad. I consider wave loading more of going from heavier weights, back down to lighter weights, than back to even heavier weights...over the course of several sets.

Didn't Arthur Jones do an experiment with eccentric only training a long time ago? So I'm thinking that if you did eccentric only trianing you could get huge strength gains because you would be using so much weight. And then because of these strength gains you would get excellent hypertrophy gains once you go back to regular training becuase you will be able to lift more.

Thoughts?