The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preacher Curls

I hunger for the Pain !!!!

Preacher Curls

With preacher curls should I use a wide grip or a short grip to bulk up my biceps?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

any grip that is comfortable.

P.s. Preachers = arce.

P.p.s squats = acer.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    ditto, Chicken.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    arce??? acer??? What the heck.....what is that british slang?

Its Yiddish slang.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

oi gevelte!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Agreed with The_Chicken_Daddy I usually go with something like 7-8 inches apart maybe. Which is the grip that I can handle the most weight with also.

Just as a second opinion.

I HATE preacher curls.

They are not any better than any other curl, and IMHO, the loss of resistance in the top third of the movement isn't doing anyone any good.

If you want big arms, you gotta get big.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Paul Stagg-
    Yeah that's definitely something to think about. I have never thought about that before bro. The entire last part of the movement really doesnt put too much stress on the bis at all.

I always like preachers because your biceps were locked and you couldnt cheat at all on the movement.

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    I always like preachers because your biceps were locked and you couldnt cheat at all on the movement.
    Well then try this.....

Using a BB or EZ curly bar.....do some standing curls, and if you cant help using your back to cheat = lean against a wall, this will keep you from cheating....try it.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

As far as the grip goes...change from set to set or workout to workout. Eventually you will find which grip(s) suits you.

To make preachers much more effective, do them off of the side of the bench that goes straight down. With this, your upper arm will make a 90 degree angle with the floor. You will feel greater tension in the bi's with this movement, especially in the peak contraction. Do them strictly and your biceps will thank you.

Ace suggestion to do them perpendicular to the floor.

Solves the resistance issue.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Thank you Paul.

good stuff. I stole this pic from myodynamics from the telekinetics article. It shows how to increase the resistance for the whole ROM for certain exercises.

It shows for preachers and for side lats, although i think getting into the positions he states may be quite complicated and maybe uncomfortable.

http://www.myodynamics.com/articles/telleintro.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The_Chicken_Daddy; 12-07-2001 at 09:26 AM.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Those would be spider curls right Gopro and Paul?

Those are ace for really hitting the biceps hard through the full ROM.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Yes...very similar to a spider curl...

I could be wrong, but I always pictured spider curls as essentially lying face first on an incline bench and curling.

I thin there was an apparatus popular some time ago that got you into that position.

To be honest, I limit my direct bicep work to:

Barbell curls
    EZ bar curls
    Incline curls
    DB curls
    Hammer curls

For my purposes (get big and strong, look good nekkid, bench, squat, and deadlift), there is no reason to get any more complicated than that.

I've said it before... my arms got big as I got big. The shape of your biceps is determined by insertion points that don't change, so I don't see any reason for me, or for 95% of lifters for that matter, to worry about which curl to do. A curl is a curl. We can debate that 'till the cows come home, but no one yet has presented me with any compelling reason to change my mind. I've got far more important things to worry about than curls.

As a general rule, I don't do stuff where things are completely isolated (like a preacher curl), as I'm looking for more efficiency, and prefer to use stabilizers to keep my form.

Maybe when I hit 240 at 8-10% that will change.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

please stop editing my posts.
    Last edited by Reinier; 12-07-2001 at 02:00 PM.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'm thinking about doing MORE direct arm work. I'm pretty happy with my legs, back , chest, etc. I really dont' do much direct work for arms (same school of thought as Paul). But I may change that soon..
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

what the HuN is up with people editing my posts?
    was you paulie wasn`t it?
    i was right about the dumb curl with elbow resting against bench having the same effect as the concentration curl wasn`t i?

then why do yall think this one is kool while you take the piss out of concentrations all the time?

Yes, you are right..the curls are the same, but calling people stupid isn't the best way to get your point across.

Where did I say doing preacher curls is a good idea?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

you didn`t and i didn`t say you did.
    you were talking about resting your elbow against a normal bench, or a wall your leaning to to prevent cheating.
    so i say this has pretty much the same effect as concentrations.

There are specific benches made for spider curls. They usually have a long pad that you can rest your entire upper arm against, and even part of your forearm. I prefer doing them off the flat end of a preacher bench as I feel I can better isolate my biceps this way. This is perhaps my favorite biceps exercise. I almost never do regular barbell curls anymore.

Yeah spider curls are a great exercise... even though you cant handle half the weight you normally can. It least thats true with me... spider curls on an incline bench with a close-grip on the ez-curl bar always work well for me.

Standard barbell currls with my back up against a wall have always worked well for SLAMMING my biceps.

but not that small either
    I'm with Stagg on this one. I just curl, I don't get fancy. I keep strict form with as much weight as I can. I admit lately I've been doing one arm dumbell preacher curls on a 90 degree bench, just to switch things up a little. Aside from EZ bar curls, I do the same as he does.
    "Lord knows that one would be foolish not to listen to guys hiding behind a computer that use more gear than a stable of race-horses and all they have to show for it is a 195lb. piss-poor physique shriveled nuts and a nice case of gyno" - Lee Priest