The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Seriously I need your help and guidance!!

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and have been working out for only a little bit. I'm not really sure what to do?? I have too many options. I have always been obsessed about my weight. I used to weigh 200 pounds at only 16. I am only 5-7, after that I went anorexic b/c of drugs and went down to as low as 135 pounds all bone and skin. I slowly began to crep up to more weight, but haven't really been in shape. Now i'm 180pounds. I started working out more at the gym at 175pounds and actually gained weight hopefully muscle. I have noticed a little of my fat going away though. I have always been a broud shoulder guy (except when I was into drugs and weighed only 135pounds). I am lifting more and feeling myself get a little bigger, and I am also using creatine and diet pills ( lipovarin) to hopefully make me more lean and gain more muscle. I have started watching my diet and eatting more protein. I used to only eat like 1 meal aday, but not I am hearing it is better to eat a lot of small meals al through out the day. I just feel real confused, b/c when I go to the gym, i'm really not sure what I should do. I should I concentrate more on lifting or running and biking. I try to do both, and hope that something good comes out of it. I have friends who are helping me, but I still am not sure what exactly i should do. Should i concentrate more on weight training or keep running. Probibly do a little of both, but which of more?? I joined this site hopeing to obtain some guidence from all of you experts. My body as of now, i thinks looks good in a shirt, that is I look built in a tee shirt b/c my broad chest is bigger than my stomach. I tried taking my body fat percentage with calipers, i think it says I was at like 18% or so. I also wear probibly like a 34 to 36 waist. Depends on the pants. I don't think i'm obese, i just have a lot of excess fat and skin I think from my rapid weight fluctuations i'm not sure (see the stretch marks on my shoulders). My toughest thing has been my love handle obliques, they are such a pain. I'm not really sure what they are used for. I hope this is just a normal bad beginning picture of what will hopefully be something good. Maybe some of u guys can just give me some in put as to what I really should be doin. Thank you all for any help you can give.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Read this

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=156

and do this for your routine.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

I am not 100% sur eif you are wanting to cut or bulk though?

To be completely honest, I believe you might be closer to 25+. I have the love handle/ oblique and yes it sucks, but if you hit your lats hard and gain more overall size it becomes less noticeable. I would recommend developing a healthy nutritional diet, weight training split, and effective cardio program. Welcome to the board, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I am glad you kicked your drug habits and I hope you stay healthy.

Those articles are very good. Read up and use that routine for your weightilfting routine. I would first reccomend a slow, controlled cut to lose some body fat followed by (once desired body fat% is achieved) a controlled bulk to get you where you wanna be muscularly. Just remember you don't want to lose/gain weight too fast so when bulking/cutting don't go to any extremes eat only a little bit less/more than your maintainance calories. Also, whether you want to cut/bulk that first WBB routine is what you should use.

-Good luck and happy lifting
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

I hope you don't even think about bulking. You're looking at around 30% bodyfat. Cardio, weightlifting, and DIET are what you need.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I hope you don't even think about bulking. You're looking at around 30% bodyfat. Cardio, weightlifting, and DIET are what you need.
    Agreed.

Don't be discouraged, but it looks like you have a long road ahead of you. I would concentrate on mostly running, biking, swimming, and cardio in general. I'd do weights maybe 3 times a week at most, and I'd do a lot of high reps low weights high sets, which also doubles as a cardio workout.

Diet is also VERY important.

Good luck

and stay off the drugs

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I don't see any reason for low weight high rep. Lift heavy bring your diet in line and do some cardio. You will still build but you also must lose bodyfat- cardio and diet should be points of emphasis.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

i totally agree. Get the weight down while you are building some muscle. You'll feel 100% better and see immediate improvements. I worked my ass off to get 30lbs of fat off the first 12 weeks to drop the fat.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Quote Originally Posted by rookiebldr
    i totally agree. Get the weight down while you are building some muscle. You'll feel 100% better and see immediate improvements. I worked my ass off to get 30lbs of fat off the first 12 weeks to drop the fat.

Thats 2.5 lbs a week. Is'nt that too much weight to lose per week. Im drunk, sorry if this was not cool.

yeheyehehehhehehehehehee -Ryan and we're still going to finish tit all

Thanks you guys are the best. I just weighed my self today and i'm down to 174. I must have really gained a lot of water weight when I started out. I'm going to run more and keep watching my diet. I will try it all out, I don't want to lose too much weight too fast, which I am prone to doing b/c I lose muscle. [B] Keep the suggestions comming, you all are great!! I will be back on soon with any questions I may have and as my progress continues.

You've had some great advise so far. Props to you for starting this!

The heavy lifting is to convince your body to NOT dump the "metabolically expensive" muscle tissue while hypocaloric. It'll actually help you drop more fat and less muscle.

Light lifting with lots of reps for cutting is a myth.

And for another take on a cutting diet, have a look at the link in my sig. I have trouble with higher carbs, so I use a somewhat different approach than some, but it's not the only way to diet down. It's just one of many, and the one that works for me.

Good luck.

Built, damnit.....

You always beat me to it.

Shouldnt you be at the gym? Huh fatty?
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.