Thread: how is this for shanked

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.

how is this for shanked

7 weeks ago I sign up for classes, I needed 5 classes or 22.5 credits to graduate, this is what I'm told by acedemics. SO, needing to graduate I do what it takes and take the full 5, this is nearly double full time for this school. I pay out the a$$ for registering for the diploma, I have family coming from different states to celebrate it with me AND I have jobs that are lined up expecting me to graduate early june so that I may, whichever one i choose, begin working soon after.

I get a letter yesterday from my school saying I'm short 1 Elective.

I was told by my advisor back in the beginning of the term this was all I needed and now the records people say I need 1 more. This happened to another friend of mine this term as well.

But now what do I do, i have all this stuff happening based on my completion of this term and I'm stuck because my school is freakin stupid. I feel pretty shafted and I'm waiting semipatiently for 8am so I can call and bring the words of pissedoffness to my school to get them to fix their mistake.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    That sucks, keep us informed on what happens. Maybe they will make an exception and you can double dip a past elective you took.

You might want to look into throwing in a self-paced course. I know UNC has them, the only downside is that you'll have to find a self-paced course that doesn't require a minimum of 3 months to complete.

You can typically walk for your graduation, then make up the extra 1 credit in the summer.

Look into taking a CLEP test for the extra credit. I got out of 4 electives by taking two CLEP tests.

looks like i'll have to now. She just looked and ot make matters worse, i failed a computer course, but I dont see how that was possible i did all the work and didnt do so hot on the exams but at the end of the course i ended with a D, my only one since I've been in school. Apparently she had curved everyones grades then decided not to. and they still say i'm missing an elective. since i just took the CIS110 course I'm going to try and clep it, but for the other one..they better freakin give it to me. I'm starting to get emails with job offers and no degree...not good.

EDIT: I'm going over to the school after work to lay the boot into them
    Last edited by crazedwombat; 05-25-2005 at 09:01 AM.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

CLEP's the way to go!

An update. So yesterday i get to the university and the woman went on about how I was missing 2 electives, one from the failed and one from just missing one. I'm like this is all BS because I didnt fail anyclass...at least I didnt think so. I had emailed my teacher for that time and was waiting for the response. I had also left a message for the Dean who was my teacher for several classes and liked me because he was an investor too. So when I walked in and started talking to her he walked out with answers. With some of my courses I have the option of taking 1 of 2 choices. In this case is was pyschology. Since I took BOTH of the choices, one was for my electives but their stupid a$$ records department just lumped it in the wrong spot. So that took care of the missing elective, however I was still worried about this other failed class. I never failed a class in university, or even come close. So while driving home I discovered that my gas gauge on my new jeep doesnt work. after sitting on the side of the interstate for 1.5 hours waiting for my dad to fight rush hour traffic (D.C.) to get to me so he could tow me to a gas station. I had all kinds of mean thoughts. However I wasnt too concerned about my grade if I had failed because I could do a Work/Life portfolio for a class and my worklife can count as credits for a class and its a pass/fail thing so I'd be able to graduate.

NOW, I checked my email this morning and my teacher for that class had responded. APPARENTLY I didnt fail the class, in fact I was a few points from a B. The records department FUBAR'd it up. punks just want moreof my money and at 1400 a class I was done. So now I have to call the school again and lay the boot into them again, but it should all work out now and I can still graduate with no problems...as long as these last 3 classes are good. VICTORY.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

awesome bro. glad to hear that it all worked out.

i was just gonna suggest that you invest in a sawd-off and pay your uni a visit. heh

Everyone speaks the language of a 12 Gaude.

heh
    -i feel for you man. its thing like that that truly vex me, i would go nuts if this happened to me. props to you for not going one on of them murder sprees.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Holy sh*t, if you were a real man you'd take a flame thrower to that place. Truely, most people would have had a nervous breakdown, you should really rake some one over the coals on this one. However, I'd wait till I got my diploma.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Demand an apology. That kind of stuff is seriously uncool. Then find whoever f-d up your records and "pokazhi im gde raki zimujut" (that's Russian for.... you can figure the jist of it).
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Hey Wombat, the exact same thing happened to me!! The uni said I needed 3 more points to graduate. A first-year paper (course) is worth 10 points... go figure. I'd seen an advisor at the start of the year and they said I needed to do the papers I did, which meant I worked my ass off for the year doing more courses than normal. Anyway, they waived it after LOTS of phonecalls and pissing around (about 2-3 months' worth). And after I had already applied to do Summer School overseas, which cost me $60 for the application, which wasn't refundable. So, the moral of the story here (for all you people who are going, but haven't yet gone to uni) is: get your schedules double-checked, and then double-check them yourself. DO NOT rely on advisors, they're not reliable. (As evidenced by both of us, plus probably countless others)....

TTT - I had been double checking since august because i had to make sure I did enough classes. The last 3 terms I've beenpulling overtime in classes so I could be done and I had it meticulously thought out. so I knew I was right.

Another update. I am for sure going to graduate . Records f'd it up big. In my school if you miss 4 classes in a row you get automatic F. The class I 'failed' was online and it was a minisession which is 12 weeks of classes in 5 weeks. well Records couldnt handle the fact it was a minisession so marked me absent the whole second half of the term even though the class was over. The teacher had to go fill out an attendance waiver form thing and I'm still waiting for confirmation that she's done and it's all good.

I rarely listened to my advisor. In my school they just took random teachers and assigned people to them. He tried to get me to majorin business and minor in CIS but I told him no, there was a reason I switched majors from CIS to business. heh. well for the next 3 terms he kept trying and he would say, I'm sending you an email to outline it all and 3 months later I'd get it.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I wish I was graduating

Same here

Only another year though *sigh*
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

5 more here!!!

damn, I'll be 26 when I'm done
    Last edited by Praetorian; 05-27-2005 at 11:58 PM.