The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Ideas???

Ideas???

It seems that my body has decided to take a new aproach to me lifting. For some reason Im weaker now then I was at the start of this month. I remember at the end of april getting up a triple with 275 and then the next bench session maxing out at 315 getting 2 sets of 1 rep that day. Today I benched and it went like this... 135x10, 185x8, 250x5, 275x1 (tried for 2 but faild, think my grip was a little to wide). Im not sure but Im betting if i go for another triple with 275 ill either fail or it will be harder then it was almost a month ago. I dont even wana think about 315 right now... I was hopeing for 325 atleast by the end of June but I doubt it now. Since I first got the 315 ive started takeing protein ( 4-5 shakes everyday, each has 20g of protein ) and ive laid off the cardio a little. Im not sure whats happeing but im pissed for sure. My routines have been the same since winter (ive put almost 80lbs on my bench since then) and if anything ive been eating/sleeping better lately.

On a sperate quesiton, how come when I was in 10th grade I squated 450 and it didnt hurt my back and now 225 hurts my back. I mean not a sore after kinda hurt, but a pain right where the weight sits like is a unbearable load... could it be ive lost back strenght??? Im lost on squats right now, and equally lost with deads. I dont know how I went from squatting 450 and deading 475 back in 10th grade and now cant do half of either.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your routine has been the same since this winter? Thats your problem right there. You need to switch things up to make constant gains my friend. Switch up your primary exercise as well as your rep scheme. If you keep doing the same thing over and over your nervous system will get burned out. Its not a matter of muscular strength, its a matter of your mind not being able to activate the muscle you do have. Try something different for a month or two and then come back to flat bench. I guarantee you'll see gains.
    Last edited by TheMachine; 05-28-2005 at 11:21 PM.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

You mean cut out bench all together or just put it on the backburner??? And I mean not exaclty the same but im doing the same lifts. I max out every other month. After I max out I go with 2 heavy weeks and then 2 light, followed by 2 heavy and then 2 light followed by a max out. I alwasy work from heavy to light... for example when I bench Ill do this, warmup with 135x10, go to 250 for a set of 5, then another set of 5, go to 225 for a set of 6 and another set of 5 or 6 (however many I get) then ill go to 205 and finish with a set of 7-8 reps. That was one example I dont do that same thing every time. When I go light ill warmup with 135x10 and then do 225x8, 225x7-8, 205x8, 185x12 something like that.

try going through that same rep cycle (2 heavy weeks, 2 light etc..) but do it on incline bench, or decline bench, overhead press. I'm not saying you should cut out pressing totally just use a different pressing movement as your primary exercise.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

Gotya, so keep on doing benchpress but more as an secondary lift... like curls or tricep pulldowns would be.

no thats not what hes saying. for example you can substitute flat bench with incline, decline, or board presses.

either that or take a break from going heavy every workout.... stick with high reps for a few weeks until your body is ready to work up to heavy weight again (periodization).

as far as your squat, you kinda answered your own question. you probably developed some weak links after your layoff. back off with the heavy weight, and take some time to strengthen your core before going heavy again... this will be well worth it because youll probably come back a lot stronger than before.
    Last edited by debussy; 05-29-2005 at 06:53 PM.