The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

full body routine. Hows it look?

4x Squat (1set warmup)
    3x Pullovers
    3x Bench
    3x Clean and Press
    3x Deadlift
    3x BB/DB Rows
    3x BB/DB Curl
    3x Dips/CG Bench
    My Transformation
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=50238

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

why not do pullup in place of pullover?

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    why not do pullup in place of pullover?
    Yeah, I'd second that.

I'd say its pretty good but you'll be in the gym for awhile. I know it would take me well over an hour to finish 25 sets.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

I would also do chin-ups or pulldowns too. Also, cut the squat set to three and the other sets to two.

On a side note, I just finished my full body routine today that consists of

ATF Squat
    Deadlift
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Pulldowns
    Dips
    Lateral Raise
    Pulley Row
    Preacher Curl
    DB Sidebends
    Ab machine crunch

I do this three times in two weeks and only do one or two working sets at most and always a warmup set. I am lifting quite heavy too and fortunately have been progressively moving up either in weight otr reps every workout.

Are we talking about the exercise?? I got the impressiong pullovers work the chest lats and tris

Are there any problems with squats cleans and deads all together?
    My Transformation

The Chicken Mr'ga
    how often are you doing this routine? im guessing twice a week?

id cut down the bicep and tricep stuff to 2 sets, why is there no direct calf work?

i personally wouldnt squat and deadlift on the same day (even more so if your doin low rep/high weight), maybe you can alternate, eg. on the day you deadlift, you can do leg press for legs instead of squats etc.
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

Quote Originally Posted by iLUDEd
    how often are you doing this routine? im guessing twice a week?

id cut down the bicep and tricep stuff to 2 sets, why is there no direct calf work?

i personally wouldnt squat and deadlift on the same day (even more so if your doin low rep/high weight), maybe you can alternate, eg. on the day you deadlift, you can do leg press for legs instead of squats etc.
    I was ganna do it 3x a week. Couldnt I add at calv raise incorated with my deadlift. I was ganna incopr shurgs with either deads or cleans
    My Transformation

The Tuna Tempter
    You need to give more info. What kind of intensity will you be working at (%1RM)? Rep range? Training to failure? Are you using HST-style progression?

I'd swap deadlift over, for SLDL. Conventional deads with squats may be too much work for spinal erectors at that frequency of training. Plus, SLDL will hit your hammies better.

Cut down on direct arm work too. Start off conservatively, add sets later if you feel you can handle more.

...and yeh like the others said, change pullovers for pullups.
    Life's too short to be small

Quote Originally Posted by Tank23
    You need to give more info. What kind of intensity will you be working at (%1RM)? Rep range? Training to failure? Are you using HST-style progression?

I'd swap deadlift over, for SLDL. Conventional deads with squats may be too much work for spinal erectors at that frequency of training. Plus, SLDL will hit your hammies better.

Cut down on direct arm work too. Start off conservatively, add sets later if you feel you can handle more.

...and yeh like the others said, change pullovers for pullups.
    the rep range is 12-6. Not sure what intensity, after a lift I usually walk to the water fountain and get a drink, so i prolly rest like 1min or so before I do another set.

what is this HST you are talking about?

and whats SLDL?

Also, im guessing then that Pullover put more emphysis on lat more then anything? If so they I will prolly through in pull-ups there.
    My Transformation

if youre going 3x a week why dont you just break it up into arms and legs or something to that extent on their own days? like arms one day, legs/back next, repeat, repeat...
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

It totally depends on the person...

Some people can probably gain a lot by hitting their muscles 3 times per week. Personally, I've found my best gains come from 1/2 times.
    You have to be willing to experiment and after a few months, decide what's the best frequency for you.

Banned
    i could never handle deadlifts 3 times a weak

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    if youre going 3x a week why dont you just break it up into arms and legs or something to that extent on their own days? like arms one day, legs/back next, repeat, repeat...
    Cause its called a fullbody routine. I hardly train arms so its stupid for me to give them there own day. I will prolly end up lower arms to 2 sets
    My Transformation

Quote Originally Posted by mihorne
    i could never handle deadlifts 3 times a weak
    its only 3 sets aday. i dont think i will have a problems with it
    My Transformation

Hey Brewski, out of curiosity, how do you warm up for the big 3 when doing a full body routine? If your dead is 315 (I have no idea what yours really is), then do you start with like 225 as a warmup then do the 3 sets at 315 or what? Or maybe just a buildup from 135 forward?

I also do the full body routine with the big three. My squats are warmed up with sets with 135 and then 225 and then one work set (8-15 reps) with 250-275. Deads are the same way, 135, 225 then one work set (8-15 reps) with 275-315. Dumbbell bench is one warm up with 30-40 lb and then one workset with 95-100lb dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by twm
    Hey Brewski, out of curiosity, how do you warm up for the big 3 when doing a full body routine? If your dead is 315 (I have no idea what yours really is), then do you start with like 225 as a warmup then do the 3 sets at 315 or what? Or maybe just a buildup from 135 forward?
    Id do reps of 12, 8 and 6. So the 12reps would be a warm up set per say. I usually use just enough weight so that the 12th rep is almost the last i can do.

If I DL 135 for 6 reps(just per say) I would do 115 for 8 and then Id prolly warm up with 95 for 12 reps.

I dunno if that helps, I cant reallt think right now I just had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday so Im alittle out of it
    My Transformation

Quote Originally Posted by HardToSquat
    I also do the full body routine with the big three. My squats are warmed up with sets with 135 and then 225 and then one work set (8-15 reps) with 250-275. Deads are the same way, 135, 225 then one work set (8-15 reps) with 275-315. Dumbbell bench is one warm up with 30-40 lb and then one workset with 95-100lb dumbbells.
    Explain this one work set....

Also whats your routine look like?
    My Transformation

This is my current routine

ATF Squat
    Deadlift
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Pulldowns
    Dips
    Lateral Raise
    Pulley Row
    Preacher Curl
    DB Sidebends
    Ab machine crunch
    Dumbbell Calf Raise

My one workset will either be a low rep set for the week or a high rep set. Squats will be maybe 300 pounds one week for my low rep week to get as many reps as I can get until I have to lower the bar on the pins because I cannot finish the set with concentric contraction. If this set was only for a few reps, the next week I may drop the weight to 275 or even 250 and try to get as many reps, 12-20. The next week or the second week I will try the low rep set again. I have been progressing quite nicely using this system for the squat and deadlift.

This is my current routine

ATF Squat
    Deadlift
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Pulldowns
    Dips
    Lateral Raise
    Pulley Row
    Preacher Curl
    DB Sidebends
    Ab machine crunch
    Dumbbell Calf Raise

My one workset will either be a low rep set for the week or a high rep set. Squats will be maybe 300 pounds one week for my low rep week to get as many reps as I can get until I have to lower the bar on the pins because I cannot finish the set with concentric contraction. If this set was only for a few reps, the next week I may drop the weight to 275 or even 250 and try to get as many reps, 12-20. The next week or the second week I will try the low rep set again. I have been progressing quite nicely using this system for the squat and deadlift.
    ya but generally what is one work set? iv always seen it but never really thought to ask what it means?

I dont think I will have a problem with warm up doing that set of 12reps.
    My Transformation

My defintion of one wrokset is one set taken to the point where the weight cannot be lifted for another rep. Squats would be when I am at the pins trying in vain to lift the weight another inch before giving up. Deads are when I cannot lift the barbell an inch off the ground no matter what, yet still keeping proiper form. My worksets are absolute torture and after I do them I have to sit down and try to catch my breath for at least 5-10 minutes and I will be sweating a flood.

My defintion of one wrokset is one set taken to the point where the weight cannot be lifted for another rep. Squats would be when I am at the pins trying in vain to lift the weight another inch before giving up. Deads are when I cannot lift the barbell an inch off the ground no matter what, yet still keeping proiper form. My worksets are absolute torture and after I do them I have to sit down and try to catch my breath for at least 5-10 minutes and I will be sweating a flood.
    Ohhh, well i do that with all my sets. I try to use weight were I can only get 12, 8 or 6 reps out of it.
    My Transformation

Quote Originally Posted by brewski053
    4x Squat (1set warmup)
    3x Pullovers
    3x Bench
    3x Clean and Press
    3x Deadlift
    3x BB/DB Rows
    3x BB/DB Curl
    3x Dips/CG Bench
    In terms of the exercise selection I'd change some movements around.
    Here is what I would suggest.

Front Squat
    Clean&Press
    Pull Ups (close grip)
    Incline Bench Press
    Dips
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    In terms of the exercise selection I'd change some movements around.
    Here is what I would suggest.

Front Squat
    Clean&Press
    Pull Ups (close grip)
    Incline Bench Press
    Dips
    I was actually ganna switch it up every week. Like DB one weeK BB another. Or flat one week incline the otheer and so on
    Last edited by brewski053; 05-28-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    My Transformation

also, why would you suggest close grip pull-ups over any other grip?
    My Transformation