The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

my slow bulk plan

i'm going to be doing a 3-4 month slow bulk after about a year of cutting and a month of metabolism resetting.

right now i weigh 54kg (119lb) and i think i'm at about 21% bodyfat. my target weight is 60kg (132lb) and i want my bodyfat to stay below 26%. i will be re-starting maki's improving the big three program - lifting 3x a week - and will do max 20 mins cardio after lifting. will probably be doing 30mins first-thing-in-the-morning inclined brisk walking on the other days.

here's my macronutrient breakdown:

lifting days (1900 cals)
    protein 179g / 716 cals / 37.8%
    carbs 161g / 644 cals / 33.9%
    fat 60g / 540 cals / 28.4%

non-lifting days (1700 cals)
    protein 190g / 760 cals / 44.7%
    carbs 120g / 480 cals / 30.6%
    fat 51.5g / 460 cals / 27.1%

my caloric intake is probably a little lower than what it should be. i wanted to start lower to get a good guage on what amount is right for me, because i always ballooned a little when i carb loaded on 1900 cals during cutting season.

i'll be checking my weight and measurements at the end of every week. everytime i see no increase in weight i'll up the cals by 100.

are these good plans, goals, and macronutrient ratios for a female?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would hope you can gain 13lbs without increasing your bodyfat by 5% .

Looks pretty good to me. The only thing to remember is that while you may have "ballooned" on a 1900 cal carb-up, it's a lot different with the macro breakdown you have there. Protein and fat won't bloat you, so you shouldn't have a problem. I'd expect that you can increase the calories, but see for yourself.

Well if you know that its the carbs balloning you up then lower then and in turn raise up protein and fats repsectively. At your weight those cals arnt that low but could be higher, and not to be rude or anything but at 119lbs and 21% BF your probably overly fat... or your assumptions are wrong about your percentage. If anything I would increase fats on non lifting days, espically saturated fats. Your bulk should be easy enough but with lifting and slight cardio I would think you could do it without gaining any fat.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Well if you know that its the carbs balloning you up then lower then and in turn raise up protein and fats repsectively.
    She ballooned on a CARB-up. Thus, on those days her carbs were probably substantially higher than the sample days she laid out. I'm sure her macro breakdown is fine.

not to be rude or anything but at 119lbs and 21% BF your probably overly fat...
    She's a female.

I understand but thats 25lbs of fat on a person that weighs 120lbs, thats goana be noticable. I meant nothing by it

Looks like a sound plan Diss, good luck with it

I understand but thats 25lbs of fat on a person that weighs 120lbs, thats goana be noticable. I meant nothing by it
    I'm confused. You appreciate the fact that women naturally have a higher bodyfat % and that acceptable levels of bodyfat for them are different than those for men yet you stand by your original comment?

Women store additional fat to deal with certain sex specific demands like pregnancy. They have these deposits called "breasts". You're right, it is gonna be noticable

21% on a woman sounds good to me, if 21 is fat on a woman than 15% on a man is fat....
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I would hope you can gain 13lbs without increasing your bodyfat by 5%
    hahaha! this is the first time i'm doing a bulk so i'm aiming in the dark! thanks for the advice

If anything I would increase fats on non lifting days, espically saturated fats.
    hmm why increase fats on non-lifting days, and why saturated fats instead of unsaturated?

thanks gimpy!! you make me laugh.

sidior: haha thanks.

about the carb-up ballooning, i felt bloated on carb-up days and my weight would go up the next day, but i'd still look lean... not sure how to interpret that. i was reading another thread on bulking and the guys wrote they felt pregnant too by night. so maybe it's supposed to be like that (?)

after sleeping over it, i think i definitely need to increase cals. anything too low would be more of a cut and just a waste of time, up 100 cals.

according to the katch-mcardle formula based on my estimation of 21%BF (i was around 17-18% before metabolism resetting), my maintenance is about 2000 cals.

lifting days (2000 cals)
    protein 190g / 760 cals / 38%
    carbs 180g / 700 cals / 35%
    fat 60g / 540 cals / 27%

non-lifting days (1800 cals)
    protein 200g / 800 cals / 44%
    carbs 137.5g / 550 cals / 31%
    fat 50g / 450 cals / 25%

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    about the carb-up ballooning, i felt bloated on carb-up days and my weight would go up the next day, but i'd still look lean... not sure how to interpret that. i was reading another thread on bulking and the guys wrote they felt pregnant too by night. so maybe it's supposed to be like that (?)
    It's quite likely you will feel bloated on your carb-up (you can always try a tbsp of vinegar and lemon juice with each carb-based meal as I suggested in another thread, that should help). As for the next day, the sign of a good carb-up is looking lean, a fairly substantial weight gain (from water), and no strength loss from your cut.

21% is certainly not overly fat for a female by any stretch of the imagination. I'll paypall you a thousand dollars if you are under 21% bro, and your a male, so please dont make remarks that could be taken as offensive regardless of how you mean them. Constructive critisism is the only kind that's effective.

Your goals and breakdown look really good to start out. Keep a close eye and keep everything tracked so you know how you respond. Progression in the gym should be nice seeing as you have been dieting for so long. Should be fun, good luck. And get back to us with progress.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

If it was me, I'd do higher fats. Saturated fats can help with endocrine function (read: test production), at least in males. I like my saturated fats a little on the high side of most people's comfort, and this strategy with the carb cycling and lifting I do has gotten me to 16% bodyfat and the lowest cholesterol I've ever had. FWIW.

My cutting diet is in my sig. I'll bulk exactly the same way, but with higher cals.

Women often seem to have trouble with the carb/ballooning thing. (I know, not ALL women. But many of us do. I'm one of 'em). I find, because of this, keeping my carbs a little lower and my fats a little to a lot higher keeps everything easy to control. I feel comfortable and get great results.

It's very individual. I think your cals may be a hair low, but time will tell. If and when you increase them, do it by an extra 100 daily cals for a week or two, then another 100...

Good luck. Enjoy your bulk! (she said with much jealousy!)

thanks for the advice drai's, smalls and built!

built: soon it'll be my turn to say that to you, with much jealousy!

jpegs?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

none :P