Thread: Pull Throughs.

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar

Pull Throughs.

Right now my leg day consists of Squats, Leg Press, Leg Curls, and Seated Calf Raise. I'm looking for an alternative to leg curls, would be pull throughs be effective? Reason why I'm not doing SLDL's is that I don't want another exercise that'll hit the lower back between Squats and Deadlifts.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

hamstrings

Quote Originally Posted by METALASIAN
    Right now my leg day consists of Squats, Leg Press, Leg Curls, and Seated Calf Raise. I'm looking for an alternative to leg curls, would be pull throughs be effective? Reason why I'm not doing SLDL's is that I don't want another exercise that'll hit the lower back between Squats and Deadlifts.
    There aren't a lot of hamstring isolation exercises that won't hit the lower back at all... Pull-throughs, Dimel DLs, GMs, Leg Curls w. bands, glute-ham raise, sled dragging are some of the best hamstring exercises.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-04-2005 at 09:09 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    No need to drop out leg curls if you are looking to isolate the hamstring only. There are many variations:

Seated Leg Curl
    1 legged Seated Leg Curl
    Lying Leg Curl
    1 legged Lying Leg Curl
    1 legged Standing Leg Curl
    Kneeling Leg Curl
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    No need to drop out leg curls if you are looking to isolate the hamstring only. There are many variations:

Seated Leg Curl
    1 legged Seated Leg Curl
    Lying Leg Curl
    1 legged Lying Leg Curl
    1 legged Standing Leg Curl
    Kneeling Leg Curl
    Yeah.. only thing is the only ones I can really do at my gym are seated and lying (seated is actually to large for me). I'm not really saying that I don't want to Leg Curls its just that they seem to get a bad rap or whatever, so I figured there were better exercises. Thanks for the advice though, I may just keep to it.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

My Asian brother...

You can stick w. leg curls if you want, but I think you should substitute some of the other compound movements if you're looking to add functional flexibility and strength... I don't know what kind of program you're on, but unless your lower back and abs are lacking, you should be able to do those exercises in addition to your regular SQ and DLs.

right now i am doing a combination of STDL and high-foot-placement legpress. Both have been working wonderfully. My leg curls got up to 2 pps, but i ended up hurting the tendons behind the knees somehow. So i stopped doing it.

Leg curls compared to pull thrus would be like comparing Memory Game to Chess. Pull thrus done properly will hit your ass and hammys like crazy.

Also, I agree with Sensei 110%

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by METALASIAN
    Try lunges. Excellent hamstring exercise, almost no lower back involvement because the core is upright.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John