Thread: CUtting Q's

Hybrid View

Banned

CUtting Q's

Hey, Im beginning my cut today and IM uncertain about a couple things that I was hoping you could answer. Ill post further questions as they pop up but for now:

1. Should I still eat my pre-bed cottege cheese snack?
    2. Should I run on an empty stomach when I wake up or when Im fed a little later?
    3. During my bulk I ate 3700 calories...during my cut it will be around 2700. Should I drop them gradualy or all at once? (Im thinking about doing it at once because I dont want to waste any time...plus Im getting sick of food)

Thanks.

1. I don't see why you couldnt as long as it fits into your total daily calorie intake.
    2. I'm not a big fan of doing cardio on an empty stomach, since I <3 HIIT. I think it really depends on the person though, some will swear by cardio on empty stomach while others hate it.
    3. Decrease your calorie intake gradually over several weeks. Once your fatloss stagnates, lower them.

Banned

1- I don't think it will matter as long as it fits into your cals for the day and it's not a huge serving, I'd keep it around the same cals as my other meals

2- Empty stomach, if you give your body food it will use the food as it's energy source, if you run on an empty stomach the only fuel it will have to use is fat

3- As long as you keep you protein intake up I don't think it will matter much. Upping your cals you should always do slowly so your body doesn't start storing the extra as fat, but decreasing your calories won't do this. Just keep the protein high.

Banned
    Ok sounds good. Thanks for the input.

Just an iddition to question #2 (running on empty stomach):
    If you run on an empty stomach wont it also burn muscle tho? Also, what if you run right after you eat so youre not starving, would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by darius19
    Ok sounds good. Thanks for the input.

Just an iddition to question #2 (running on empty stomach):
    If you run on an empty stomach wont it also burn muscle tho? Also, what if you run right after you eat so youre not starving, would that work?
    To a certain extent yes and that's one of the reasons your nutrition and post workout meals must be right on, running with a full stomach is disgusting and VERY hard to do without tossing your cookies (at least that's what I've found)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeper
    To a certain extent yes and that's one of the reasons your nutrition and post workout meals must be right on, running with a full stomach is disgusting and VERY hard to do without tossing your cookies (at least that's what I've found)
    I ran a hour after breakfast today for 30 minutes and I was 100% fine...although that might be a bit too late...IDK. Any other input?
    Last edited by darius19; 06-03-2005 at 08:29 AM.

Running on an empty stomach has been terrific for me. NO MUSCLE LOST. REPEAT, NO MUSCLE LOST. The whole thing about "omgz cardio in teh morning makes me lose muskles!1111" is so ****ing overdone and overrated. The only way it's going to actually start burning your muscle is if you run marathons on an empty stomach.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I guess it varies from person to person. I did way too much AM empty cardio last summer, and I know I lost muscle. I started the summer pressing 4 plates a side on leg press. By the end, I was down to TWO.

but growing daily!
    Why not just have a few carbs to fuel your cardio before hand, like in a small shake?

Its not like your body is going to solely use the carbs you ingest to fuel your exercise and your cardio will be wasted.

And its not just the cardio your doing that will burn your calories but also your increased metabolism after your done.

The amount of worry people do about the smallest detail probably causes more loss to muscle from stress then they save worrying about it in the first place

Zygote

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I guess it varies from person to person. I did way too much AM empty cardio last summer, and I know I lost muscle. I started the summer pressing 4 plates a side on leg press. By the end, I was down to TWO.
    Yes, I think that if you do AM cardio you really have to be more careful with your diet and the amount you do. If you're dieting pretty hardcore and doing a lot of cardio in the AM, I agree that you would lose some muscle.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Banned
    I do it a hour after breakfast, do you think waiting 2 hours after breakfast would be sufficient?

If you eat before your AM cardio, you will burn your breakfast. If you don't, you'll burn bodyfat. My feeling is that we're not just trying to burn calories, we're trying to repartition.

I don't understand how this works. If you do cardio on an epmty stomach you burn body fat, right? But then you eat later and what you eats turns into body fat because it won't get burned. So, isn't that the same as doing cardio after you eat because it will result in the same outcome?

I have considered this. It's a very good question.

My understanding is that a healthy, normal body is constantly moving between storing AND burning fat.

I also understand that it's fairly hard for your body to release bodyfat - it has to be "coerced" into dropping it.

Both storing and burning bodyfat are inefficient, whereas burning off blood sugar is relatively inefficient. I believe the deal is that it taxes your body more to burn off bodyfat and then store some from your digesting food, than it would be to simply burn off what you eat before your body has to waste energy storing it, and then freeing it as an energy source.

Guys and gals, am I close to correct here?

I think if you're counting you daily caloric intake, then it doesn't matter when you do cardio, as long as you do some. Let's say you eat, then run. You will burn your breakfast. But since you will be in caloric deficit by the end of the day (remember, we're counting cals and aiming for deficit), then you will in the end burn fat.
    If you do cardio first, then you will burn fat during cardio, but less throughout the day. In the end, I'm pretty sure it's the exact same thing as long as you're eating a certain amount of calories under maintenance.

Furthermore, I find this method awesome for fat burning. I take the HIIT approach at first, I do some sprints and some walking. I do this for like 15 mins. Then I continue walking slowly or sit for about 5 mins. The sprinting mobilizes large amounts of fatty acids (this is my theory, not sure if it's true, but this technique has worked very well for me). Next, I jog for 20-30 mins. The jogging burns off the mobilized fat.
    Another method: I play soccer or basketball. The sprinting and walking is sort of like the HIIT fat mobilization thing I do, and then after the game I jog at a light pace.

:withstupi
    This is what I do too, following any intense activity - mobiilze FFAs, then burn them off with a little steady-state cardio. If it's a lower body workout, I just do a fast incline walk after I lift. For upper body, I'll do 5-8 HIIT intervals followed by 8-10 minutes of steady state to burn off the FFAs.