Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to achieve Biceps WIDTH?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

How to achieve Biceps WIDTH?

I've got pretty good biceps for a woman. But I've got the same problem a lot of other people have with them and that is the WIDTH of the biceps. If I put my arm straight out it looks skinny. When I turn sideways, that's when you can see how much bigger it is. But I'm greedy, I wanna have BOTH height and width to my biceps! Here's my current biceps routine:

Straight Bar Curls 5 sets 8 reps
    Preacher Curls w/ EZ Bar 4/10
    Seated Dumbbell Curls 4/10
    Reverse Curls w/ EZ Bar (for biceps brachiallis) 4/10

So what gives? Should I implement a new routine or just substitute a different exercise for one in my current routine?

Thanks for any advise you can spare!

do you have a whole separate day for your bicep training?

that's 17 sets right?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

No specific thing will make your biceps wider.

They just get bigger.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i think you are overtraining your biceps.
    the shape of a muscle can not be altered by exercise, only the size and efficiency can.
    I say you dont do more than 4-6 sets of bicep work once every week.

the shape of a muscle can not be altered by exercise, only the size and efficiency can.

I`m almost afraid to ask but, this goes for pecs just like any other muscle right?

Originally posted by Reinier

You made my day!
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Squat?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Use synthol.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

would it work to shoot synthol in ur ****?
    or in your eyes, i wanna have those big puppy eyes so people stare back
    *slaps self*

try these for shoulder width: wide-grip barbell curll for inner bicep
    close grip bb curls for outer bicep
    goodluck
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

Originally posted by shredder
    try these for shoulder width: wide-grip barbell curll for inner bicep
    close grip bb curls for outer bicep
    goodluck
    *** You can try them but you'll find most likely that it doesn't do much if anything.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

ohh ****, oops i meant bicep width and yes it does work

-LONGER TERM GOALS-

inner and outer biceps?

First of all I honestly think that you are training way way too much volume for your biceps. 17 total sets? Thats ridiculous in my opinion..

Secondly, you cannot add "width" to your biceps. Your biceps shape is genetically determined all you do is develop your biceps to their utmost potential and hope this "thickens" them.

Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys, and by the way, I have NO problems with the shape, size, or width of my ahem...pecs.

I do think I may be overtraining them. The thing is I kinda didn't get that "pump" effect in them anymore so I bumped up my sets. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do.

baha...i was trying to figure out where that "pec' reference came from.....

reinier wasn't talking about your pecs..*lol*..he was talking about pecs in general...

anyhoo..to answer reinier's question...yes..that's genetics too bro. all you can hope for is that the pec gorws. what shape it takes will depend on your genetics.

and kim...the pump means nothing. progression is what you should look for...are your weights increasing? is so then your on the right track.

many of us here don't do more then 6 sets total for bicep work.

but not that small either
    Originally posted by shredder
    ohh ****, oops i meant bicep width and yes it does work
    Aren't you the guy that weighs 115 lbs?
    "Lord knows that one would be foolish not to listen to guys hiding behind a computer that use more gear than a stable of race-horses and all they have to show for it is a 195lb. piss-poor physique shriveled nuts and a nice case of gyno" - Lee Priest

Hardcore, what else?
    Hey shredder, how can a work the southeast quadrant of my bicep tanget to my shoulder correctly??
    When will it be my time to shine? - me

Where do people learn/read some of this stuff?

Simplistic
    I know tihs may sound stupid but as soon as I started doing preacher curls my arms got much thicker, I think they would have gotten thicker anyways with bb curls but the change in movement just got me there faster.

Maybe the preacher curls just made your biceps as a whole grow more so than the barbell curls did. Done correctly they don't allow for as much cheating as barbell curls and are a harder exercise in my opinion.

acually im 132 now

-LONGER TERM GOALS-

Home of the 2002 Pacific Division Champ Sacramento Kings
    If your bicep is 2 muscles, why can't you target one more than the other by adjusting your grip? I've posted my biceps routine in a thread, and it was designed such that you'd hit your bicep 3 different ways each time, and AMAZINGLY enough, my biceps have gotten a significantly higher pak, and GET READY FOR THIS, they've widened out as well. Hell, you can see on my arm the split between each muscle in my biceps.

Try using a wide-grip and a close grip on a cambered bar to work each muscle.

Always when somene posts, I see the same people replying that "that's impossible" or "you guys are on crack." Why don't the cynical people post pics of themselves in their godlike physiques so we can all see exactly what your "great" training has done for you?

decease, RIP
    If you could target the bicep the way you say, then you should also be able to flex all the different parts of that muscle separately.

And alot of people have posted their picture, if ther had been a pic forum it would be easy to find. Do a search or check online journal for pic's, you should be able to find most.