The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Contributing factors to vascularity?

I look more vascular now than I ever have and am not completely sure why.

I've had lower BF before but never looked this vascular before. I'm not complaining, I like it. It's not water retention either (or a lack thereof). Are there certain things in ones diet than can contribute to it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think it's probably the lower bf and pumps when in gym.

more muscle = more veins to supply with blood? lower bf will definitely do it though

hows your heart compare to before?

No doubt the fact that I have lower bodyfat than before I started dieting is why I look more vascular.
    But that is not the question. I want to know why I never looked this vascular during previous cuts where my bodyfat went lower than it is now.

BigPoppaPump - I've never really bought into added muscle = added veins. Doesn't make any logical sense. I think people think that because a lot of bodybuilders are very vascular, this is of course due to low BF rather than large amounts of muscle though.

wrestlemaniac - You mean like heartrate? Don't really have a clue. I don't know what it could have been before, what it is now, or even what's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth
    BigPoppaPump - I've never really bought into added muscle = added veins. Doesn't make any logical sense. I think people think that because a lot of bodybuilders are very vascular, this is of course due to low BF rather than large amounts of muscle though.

Hmmm... not so fast... now that you mention this, extra muscle requires extra nutrient flow, hence extra vascularization might be perfectly reasonable. Since a fluid will follow the path of least resistance, wouldn't it stand to reason that many of these blood vessels would travel along the outside of the muscle, rather than through it?

I have a very limited understanding of physiology. I'll bump for someone more knowledgeable here. But I have noticed that as my delts have grown, I'm getting some lovely veins popping out of them now when I train them, and I’ve never had this before.

Are you using more volume? I notice when I do high volume workouts or simply stay consistent I get more veins. For example I started working out "consistently" like 30-40 days ago and now I have more veins on my arms. This happens when either I am consistent with my workouts or I do high volume for 2-3 weeks. I have read that doing high volume makes your capillaries(sp?) grow and you get that vascular look. I'm not too sure though, but that is what I was told when I asked a long time ago about veins in my arms.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Doing a higher volume will make your capillaries grow but capillaries inside the muscles aren't visible. Capillaries are too small to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Hmmm... not so fast... now that you mention this, extra muscle requires extra nutrient flow, hence extra vascularization might be perfectly reasonable. Since a fluid will follow the path of least resistance, wouldn't it stand to reason that many of these blood vessels would travel along the outside of the muscle, rather than through it?

I have a very limited understanding of physiology. I'll bump for someone more knowledgeable here. But I have noticed that as my delts have grown, I'm getting some lovely veins popping out of them now when I train them, and I’ve never had this before.
    I don't really understand what you're saying. Are you saying that increased muscle = increased nutrient flow? I suppose that would make logical sense assuming more nutrients were entering the body to begin with (but in reality they're really not as I'm dieting). Are you also saying that because more nutrients are in the blood that this somehow makes the veins more visible? If so I don't buy that. And lastly are you saying that increased muscle size is pushing the veins outward more? Yeah I guess that would make sense.

Dedicated - No I'm not using more volume. Same as I was during bulking however a few more dropsets incorporated here and there, and I can't really see them causing this drastic difference. As far as volume goes as compared to previous cuts its probably much lower. I've trained with much fewer sets and much more intensity over the last year.

I wasn't saying that the nutrients were making the veins more visible, no. But the increased muscle should require increased vascularization to support it. You aren't bulking NOW, but you WERE. I'm thinking you may have more vascularity to uncover with this cut than you did when you hit lower bf levels before.

This was just conjecture on my part - I'm a statistician by education, not a physiologist. That's why I bumped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I wasn't saying that the nutrients were making the veins more visible, no. But the increased muscle should require increased vascularization to support it. You aren't bulking NOW, but you WERE. I'm thinking you may have more vascularity to uncover with this cut than you did when you hit lower bf levels before.

This was just conjecture on my part - I'm a statistician by education, not a physiologist. That's why I bumped it.
    I think we're both agreed, however I'm not sure you've answered my question. Obviously I have more vascularity to uncover as I already have done so, I just don't understand why.

What I am suggesting is that you probably grew extra vascularity while you were bulking, to support the extra muscle tissue.

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Are you perhaps more consistantly hydrated than before?

I find that when I am consistantly drinking tons of water I appear more vascular. Just a thought.