The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Are you for the death sentence?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

26 59.09%
  • No.

18 40.91%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar

The Death Penalty

For it or against it? Discuss.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    For it in theory. Current application sucks, though, and if tweaked properly I'll be for it in practice as well.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

This is a hard topic. I believe strongly in rehabilitation, but I also think there are those few who have done things bad enough that they shouldn't be allowed to live. I'm torn though. If, for example, two or three people broke into my house and killed my family - and I later on killed them in a premeditated way, I think I could get the death penalty for that in some states (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not sure if I agree with that.

I put no.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

I'm against it. That's the last comment I'm making in this thread though.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Hell yes I am all for it.

There are some people that just need to be destroyed.

Banned
    I'm against it because it's boring.

if they reinstituted gladitorial games amongst death-row inmates or something that would be cool; it isn't that different from what happens in some prisons anyway....

Banned
    When I was a little kid I use to see stories on TV about people who were destroyed on death row for crimes they didn't commit, so I've always thought it was wrong.
    Now that DNA testing is where it is, I think that cramming a slew of evil people into a violent prison to become better criminals on tax dollars is wrong as well.
    Though the argument of rehabilitating people stands, even if a convict were to make an honest attempt at turning their life around, once that person leaves prison, how can that individual integrate into society again? Who would hire a former criminal? Of the few jobs that would, how long would one stay at a meger exsistance?
    If only we could find another land mass like the British found Australia and maroon them somewhere.

I wannabebig!
    im up for an eye for an eye....

I guess I'm undecided. Most statistics say it doesn't work for a crime deterant. As far as morally I guess it would depend on the nature of the crime. I really can't say everyone who kills someone should get the death penalty-some should some should not.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Yes.

I'd like to see it used in aggravated rape cases.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Not against it in principal. But can't see it given the
    efficiency (ha) of our justice system. Too many mistakes.

I wannabebig!
    if a person rapes someone then kills them I think they should be raped before they get the latter part of whats coming to them.
    Last edited by ryuage; 06-06-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Since Canada doesn't carry death penalty, I'm pretty much borderline. I would say use it for the most horrible scumbags in our society in Canada. There's people in Canada I think that deserve to die; Clifford Olson, Paul Bernardo and Robert Pickson. I think Karla Holmoka should've gotten the death penalty too since she taped Paul raping her own little sister, but she's leaving prison in mid-June. ****ing dumb-ass prosecutors for making a deal like that. Had they waited, when the cops found the tapes, they could've gotten both to rot in jail for the rest of their lives.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Banned
    There are worse things than death...I said yes because I'd rather be killed than rot...but as homer said there are some sickos out there that are worth nothing and deserve no quarter

I would say certain extreme situations may call for it, if the proof was there to back it up.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    I'm against it because it's boring.

if they reinstituted gladitorial games amongst death-row inmates or something that would be cool; it isn't that different from what happens in some prisons anyway....
    Imagine the TV ratings for this. It would put a nice dent in the amount of moeny it takes to running our prisons.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    The amount of murderers/rapists who commit another felony after there jail term is finished far outweighs the amount of people who are falsely prosecuted for murder/rape.

Not to mention that it costs nearly $100 a day to maintain a prisoner, something that is coming out of all of our wallets.

If murderers know they are going to be sentenced to death, I'd say far less of them would commit the crime.

And eye for an eye; why should you have the right to live if you took that right away from someone else?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher
    Imagine the TV ratings for this. It would put a nice dent in the amount of moeny it takes to running our prisons.
    Phild Donahue tried to get permission to do live coverage of the Timothy McVeigh execution, I think. He was denied.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    The amount of murderers/rapists who commit another felony after there jail term is finished far outweighs the amount of people who are falsely prosecuted for murder/rape.
    We don't execute for fellonies. Executing people who are innocent is the only reason I am iffy about the practice. If there is a reql uncoersed confession + DNA plus tonns of credible witnesses (like the courtroom shooting recently) then I think the death penalty is perfect.

Not to mention that it costs nearly $100 a day to maintain a prisoner, something that is coming out of all of our wallets.
    Death row inmates cost more than standard inmates.

If murderers know they are going to be sentenced to death, I'd say far less of them would commit the crime.
    Sadly executions have not been shown as a real deterrant.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 06-06-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike

This is true. Consequences have little effect on a criminal that is determined to do something. Otherwise nobody would ever commit a serious crime.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike

they may no be a detterant for murder as people who commit murder can often be mentally ill.
    though if you excute people for car crime, i wager my own life on it, that car crime where i live would drop radically!!!
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

3:16
    for those agaisnt capital punishment.

if you had been the judge at the numberburg trials in 1945 of nazi war criminal (and hypothesis hitler not commited sucide).
    would you have used the death penalty on them after finding them guilty of the atrocities they commited?

what is the point of trying to rehilibate hitler? its not like he could ever get a normal job and contribute to society.

in my opinion, your either for or agaisnt death penalty so i choose one of the most evil people in history to see if you say "YES" or "NO".
    if you make expection to execute hitler you are for the death penalty. This does not mean your use it for say murdering one person.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

So this is about Saddam then yeah? Or..

On that note, i here they're trying him on 12 counts of the original 500 they claimed.
    Last edited by J450n; 06-06-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    for those agaisnt capital punishment.

if you had been the judge at the numberburg trials in 1945 of nazi war criminal (and hypothesis hitler not commited sucide).
    would you have used the death penalty on them after finding them guilty of the atrocities they commited?

what is the point of trying to rehilibate hitler? its not like he could ever get a normal job and contribute to society.

in my opinion, your either for or agaisnt death penalty so i choose one of the most evil people in history to see if you say "YES" or "NO".
    if you make expection to execute hitler you are for the death penalty. This does not mean your use it for say murdering one person.
    Reasonable arguments can be made for killing Hitler and keeping him alive, both on moral and pragmatic levels.

However, exceptional instances have little to do with the common case, however, so you're presenting a red herring. Plus, your black and white interpretation is not useful in studying the actual issues surrounding the death penalty. One may be for it in theory, and against it in practice, or vice versa.

Most importantly, we have now reached the Godwin point , therefore you lose whatever argument you were trying to make, by rule. Game, set, match.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I think this poll needs a neutral option
    Last edited by Genacide; 06-06-2005 at 01:50 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin