The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chess

Chess

recently i got a new chess set from some family and it has spurred within me a new interest in the game. i was always good at chess at a young age, but never cared enough to go out and learn from anyone who had alot of skill at it and try to be really good, well even though i still dont care to learn all that much about it i have a question that i hope someone can answer.

how do you checkmate a king with just 2 bishops and your own king? it IS possible from what i hear on the internet, but i cant figure out how to do it. its also the only elememtary checkmate i never discovered on my own.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Keep your bishops together, drive the king to the side or corner, and don't forget to use your king.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

The only way I can see is to back the opponent's king into a corner with the bishops while moving your king into position so that your king is 2 spaces away when you move one bishop in for the checkmate. IE, their king would be at A1, your king at A3 your first bishop at C2 and your second bishop at C3.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

thats what ive read, and it doesnt help me at all (and i know i dont possess ungodly powers to keep the king from being pinned down, chess is far to old a game for any new resistance technique to exist)

somehow thats where i still screw it up though i cant seem to keep the king from escaping at the last few moves (i have a hard time protecting both my bishops, blocking his king, and preventing a stale mate all at once).

ive seen a thing that had the last few moves remaining, but i couldnt understand how the other guy would let his king into the position.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 05-31-2005 at 01:23 PM.

You have to keep your bishops close, so that he has only one direction to move his king. Once you get the king trapped, you can work your king up to the right position.

drew, how do you get like that? i try to play it backwards but it always ends up crossing through a would be stale mate or an illegal move. is this only possible if they have a pawn or something to move when the king is totally stuck.

whenever you check him, he can escape unless your king is on the opposite side of the direction your forcing him... unless hes on the wall, but somehow i still cant get him pinned down. but i cant do it without having the king in two places at once because he ends up being on the other side.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 05-31-2005 at 01:27 PM.

You have to give a little freedom for them to move the king around, but only in a small area, while you get your king to the right spot.

but two bishops cannot hold the king without risking being taken themselves, and for the king to guard them, he either cannot block the other kings escape from a check or he blocks the bishops path...

man, i have a feeling im just not gonna get this.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 05-31-2005 at 01:28 PM.

I think the key is keeping your bishops together so you can limit the king to one side of the board. If you allow them to separate, the king can jump through. Once you have control, continue to cut his space with the bishops while attacking with the king. Once you have him in the corner, it should be pretty straight forward from there.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

im going to try to do this for another 20 or so minutes, if i still cant get it ill come back.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Pretty easy. Others have said it.

Back King into corner using two-line offence with bishops, set King on protected square, drive into corner.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

one hour later and still no

its not possible to drive the king without the aid of your bishops AND king, so how do you have your king in position to help trap him at the end? (the king has to go from one side of the bishops line of fire to the other before the enemy king moves from the corner due to this same line of fire being obstructed by the kings movements to trap him. if the king goes around the back it allows the other king to run towards the middle during this time)

Banned
    dont lose your rooks

I love chess but I'm not as geeky as some people here (Anthony).
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

just felt like adding some closure:

i eventually found a long scenario that began and ended with just a king and 2 bishops vs a king. i did it on my own chessboard (after printing the moves out) several times and i was able to put pieces down at random and checkmate the king everytime after that. you guys were giving me good advice, but the part i went wrong on was this: i was trying to put the king into the corner with what was similar to the 'rook roll' checkmate but for bishops, when i got into the corner there was a major problem with defending the bishops and blocking the kings escape. now im doing it the right way though.

thanks for all the responses

i did find a new problem though, i dont know how to checkmate with just the knight and bishop. (and from what ive heard if you throw the pieces down in the worst possible positions or make one misstep you cant checkmate within 50 moves and the game draws) im not really concerned about this, i hope im never in a game that comes down to it though lol.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 05-31-2005 at 07:05 PM.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    man i love chess, I used to play all the time, I am such a nerd. i play on redhotpawn.com its like an online one I can game with my friends and it has 7 day timebanks so you both dont have to be on at the same time. greatest idea evar!
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

When nobody's looking add a third bishop.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

^ Best idea ever.

lmao
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    i did find a new problem though, i dont know how to checkmate with just the knight and bishop. (and from what ive heard if you throw the pieces down in the worst possible positions or make one misstep you cant checkmate within 50 moves and the game draws) im not really concerned about this, i hope im never in a game that comes down to it though lol.
    I'm not certain this is possible.

You need a supporting piece like a king or a pawn or something.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

sorry for not being more clear, the king IS used in this as well as in the situation with the two bishops, thers no other way without him, and its usually a good idea to use him anyway once theres no immediate danger of being checkmated (because when you get down to it, hes a pretty good defensive piece who can also block the path of a king)

I dont play chess, but i admire people who do. Strategy is remarkable in this game, aces to anybody who plays it.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

riprogrammazione
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    I dont play chess, but i admire people who do. Strategy is remarkable in this game, aces to anybody who plays it.
    Dude, you're russian,............ and a rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    Dude, you're russian,............ and a rocket.
    I'm a rocket in a pocket!
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.