The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

maltodextrine v. sugars

1)people talk about how it's very good to get excessive simple sugars out of your diet. why? also, are these reasons applicable to maltodextrine as well?
    (please omit responses directly related to the insulin spike, as i know we all know about that like the back of our hands).

2)if i add enough fiber to my maltodextrin-based weightgainer, would it be similar to an oat based weightgainer? why/why not?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber slows the rate of gastric emptying, where insoluble fiber does not.

For post workout, as you are well aware, you WANT the fast insulin response of malto/dex, and these sugars both quickly turn into glucose in your system, which is taken up preferentially by muscle glycogen. Regular table sugar, sucrose, is functionally a glucose bonded to a fructose. Fructose is preferentially taken up by liver glycogen. That's why it's contraindicated for post workout nutrition.

Wannabebig Member
    I've also read that fruit can actually be OK post workout because replenishing liver glycogen puts you in an anabolic state (assuming u get enough other carbs too)

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber slows the rate of gastric emptying, where insoluble fiber does not.

For post workout, as you are well aware, you WANT the fast insulin response of malto/dex, and these sugars both quickly turn into glucose in your system, which is taken up preferentially by muscle glycogen. Regular table sugar, sucrose, is functionally a glucose bonded to a fructose. Fructose is preferentially taken up by liver glycogen. That's why it's contraindicated for post workout nutrition.
    ya i'm using psyllium husk which is soluble.

is sugar bad for you for reasons aside from it's GI value?

well... if you take the GI factor out of sugar then theres really no diffence between it and any other carb right? Every carb would be equal.

Wannabebig Member
    so how effective is

some juice after workout in replacement of dextrose?

say 2 cups... 70g of sugar
    height : 6'2.5
    weight : 201
    bulk goal : 220
    final weight goal after cut : 215

lifts :

full squat : 225 x 2
    flat bench : 265
    military : 195
    dumbell incline : 90 x 12( my gym only has 90 max )
    dumbell press : 90 x 4

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    1)people talk about how it's very good to get excessive simple sugars out of your diet. why? also, are these reasons applicable to maltodextrine as well?
    Not sure if this helps. But basically you have a 2 hour window post-workout. So it's really good to take it right after you workout. Dextrose or Maltodextrin will both do it. On cuts I tend to skimp a little postworkout. I'm supposed to take like 80 grams or something according to my bodyweight, but I don't take that much. I'm sure if I did, I would notice a huge difference in recovery. I notice a huge difference now with taking half that.

Now at other times excessive simple sugars are bad, you just don't want that. I mean there are just better alternatives you can eat that will give you more energy. For example, I can tell the difference in energy in my day if I eat 5 slices of white bread or 5 slices of wheat. Wheat keeps me full all day long and energized, whereas the white bread doesn't fill me up as much.

Quote Originally Posted by tsungwei
    so how effective is

some juice after workout in replacement of dextrose?

say 2 cups... 70g of sugar
    I've tried that, didn't work as well as dextrose. If there is such a thing as a dextrose responder I am it. It really makes a difference for me.

not using this as solely pwo, i'm using ~ 250K of it with my meals at work, which is typically 2 daily. i figure that if i add my fiber to it, and am consuming it with a meal, it will be an easy 500K bump daily, plus pwo shakes