Thread: Need a lil help

Ante Up

Need a lil help

Im going away this summer to play football in college. In the lat 4 months iv gained 30lbs, mind u most is muscle but i did develop a lil gut. Iv gotten a lot stronger and my speed has stayed the same. I wanted to be 230 going into camp, i reached 230 but too much of it was fat( i thought). I wasnt doing much cardio during this time. I want to slim down some but i also wanna continue to get bigger. Iv been told u can only cut or bulk. DO u guys think that if i just start running and lean out my diet a little more that would help? ANy suggestions r great.
    What doesnt kill will only make you stronger

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

Your diet is more important then running when it comes to slimming down. But consider the fact that your going into college football also, those guys are on a whole other level when compaired to high school college wanabes. My main problem with football was my endurance, for my weight I was fast and really strong for my age but just didnt have the endurance. Having a 5.4-5.3 40 time at 320lbs is hella good for this area and HS in general, but after 40 yards my time droped like a lead weight. Train endurance like no other. Bulking or Cutting are most effective when done alone, you might get away with doing both but progress will be slow in either area. In your case Id say do a bulk, all that exercise will lean you out and the added mass wont hurt. Get those squats and deads up. BTW what position do you plan on playing?

Ante Up
    im goin in as an inside linebacker but u never know

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

Tighten up your diet and keep on the cardio, I'm sure you'll need it. Read Maki's article on GPP on the main page.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Just clean up the diet...

Just clean up your diet. Eat less crap and space out your calories - that should help your metabolism.

I just have to ask... Do you eat breakfast everyday?

I'm assuming you're going to be busting ass in the weight room and hitting speed/agility work pretty hard, right? If you add a lot of running to that, you'll just eat away at your strength and weight gains...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Only real things I can suggest to a linebacker in regards to the weight room are squats, deads, power cleans, and maybe work in some shoulder lifts. The squats will get your short distance sprints wicked fast.

Squating dropped my 40 yard dash time from 5.8 ( first time ever running one at 260lbs ) down to about 5.2-5.35 ( my senior year at 310-320, wasnt sure of my exact weight but thats where I was most of the football season ). Mind you those arnt wicked speeds but to drop almost six tenths of a forty after gaining 50-60lbs is pretty good in my book.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 06-01-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Ante Up
    my routine is intense its based around squat, front squat, deadlift, incline bench and push press. Im jus larning how to hang clean so ill be throwiun that in there too. I try to eat breakfast but im up so early im usually sick to my stomache and cant eat. Last 2 weeks iv been stuffin cream of wheat and egg whites down my throat.

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

Knock back a whey shake and eat a few pieces of toast before you train. That should be easy to stomach, and you'll have some fast carbs with some protein in you before you lift.