Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: milk and water ratio

milk and water ratio

what should the ratio of milk to water be when you are bulking?

i mean, when i'm thirsty, i usually drink milk, instead of water and i'd like to know if this could interfere with my bulking...

dunno, maybe since you don't get enough water, if you drink mostly milk...

I think what you are trying to ask is how much water do you need if you are consuming milk throughout the day instead of water.

actually, what i'm trying to ask is more or less "is it good to drink milk more often than water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-X
    actually, what i'm trying to ask is more or less "is it good to drink milk more often than water?"
    Well... milk has calories, water has no calories. Calories add weight, no calories add no weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseM
    Well... milk has calories, water has no calories. Calories add weight, no calories add no weight.

yes, i know this. but i also know that calories are not everything when bulking. you can eat lots of food, but if you don't drink enough, your bulking will suffer from it. so, what i'm asking is "does milk have enough water inside or it's better to reduce its amount, while drinking more water?"

How much milk do you drink? How much water do you drink?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

i don't know, but usually i drink 3 glasses of milk for each glass of water, so i'm worried about not drinking enough water

You don't know how much water you drink? Can you estimate? 1 glass/day? 8 glasses? Either way, if you're that concerned, drink more.

i'm sorry, but i don't really know, since it varies a lot... for example, yesterday i drank just 2 liters of milk, while i got plenty of water. rather, 2 days ago i could have drank *maybe* 6 glasses of water, while i drank lots and lots of milk. i'd like to know if it's better to cut on the milk, in order to have room for water, or is it better to drink lots of milk and some water?

Drink both simple as that. I drink a lot of milk 1/4 to 1/3 gallon a day and probably 3+ 16oz glasses of water a day, I dont think its that big of deal really. Like Ant said just down some water if your worried.

Let me get this straight.

You're bulking. You don't know how much milk you drink. You don't know how much water you drink. I'm going to assume you don't even know how many calories you eat. And you're concerned about the ratio of milk and water?

I'll make things real simple. Drink however much milk you want AND 2-4L of water.

Milk has tons of fat, unless your drinking fat free skim milk. Even 2% has a fairly high amount of fat in it. You should be drinking at least 3.78 L or 1 gallon of water every day. Trust me your body needs alot of water and getting dehydrated can cause alot of pain. Keep the milk to under 1L a day, were not worried about the calories obvisouly but wrather the fat. One cup of 2% reduced fat milk has 130 calories (45 from fat), 5 g of fat, 3g of saturated fat, 20mg of cholesterol, 125mg of sodium, 410mg of potassium, 13g of carbs, 12g of sugar, and 8 g of protein. There are about 4.2 cups in each liter so if your drinking 2 liters of milk every single day then your getting 8.4 cups of milk. That would be 1092 calories from milk (378 calories from fat), 42g of fat, almost 25 g of saturated fat, 101 g of sugar, and about 67.2 g of protein just from the milk. I think thats alot of fat for a clean bulk... and thats assumeing you drink 2% reduced fat, if its whole milk then its alot worse. Whats the rest of your diet look like??? Proteins??? Carbs??

I go with something like this, atleast a cup of milk every day and atleast a gallon of water every day. Cals from protein always above 40% and fats alwasy under 20%. Im on a clean slow cut which is around 1800-2000 calories per day. I do try to get my protein from sources other then shakes but sometimes our menu and budget wont allow... so there are somedays where I take 6-7+ protein shakes, and others where I need less then 4.

why under 20% for fats... he is bulking, did you not read that???
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

Yes I did, which is why I said he isnt concerned with calories. But a clean bulk is essential to avoiding alot of extra fat gain. Its alot easier to gain 50lbs of fat then it is to gain 50lbs of muscle. Also I said thats what I do, but Im not trying to get more bulk but wrather stronger, leaner and lighter at the same time... which is very tricky.

42g is a lot of fat? lol. That would be about 5% of my calories.

On second thought it may not be that much, but the rest of the diet would explain alot. This is like shooting in the dark, without a full diet any kind of evaluation is purely hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Milk has tons of fat, unless your drinking fat free skim milk. Even 2% has a fairly high amount of fat in it. You should be drinking at least 3.78 L or 1 gallon of water every day. Trust me your body needs alot of water and getting dehydrated can cause alot of pain. Keep the milk to under 1L a day, were not worried about the calories obvisouly but wrather the fat. One cup of 2% reduced fat milk has 130 calories (45 from fat), 5 g of fat, 3g of saturated fat, 20mg of cholesterol, 125mg of sodium, 410mg of potassium, 13g of carbs, 12g of sugar, and 8 g of protein. There are about 4.2 cups in each liter so if your drinking 2 liters of milk every single day then your getting 8.4 cups of milk. That would be 1092 calories from milk (378 calories from fat), 42g of fat, almost 25 g of saturated fat, 101 g of sugar, and about 67.2 g of protein just from the milk. I think thats alot of fat for a clean bulk... and thats assumeing you drink 2% reduced fat, if its whole milk then its alot worse. Whats the rest of your diet look like??? Proteins??? Carbs??

I go with something like this, atleast a cup of milk every day and atleast a gallon of water every day. Cals from protein always above 40% and fats alwasy under 20%. Im on a clean slow cut which is around 1800-2000 calories per day. I do try to get my protein from sources other then shakes but sometimes our menu and budget wont allow... so there are somedays where I take 6-7+ protein shakes, and others where I need less then 4.
    I'm sorry bro, but this is a horrible post. Your taking what you view as a clean bulk and applying it as the standard for everyone. Why a low fat bulk? Also I drink over 1.5 gallons a milk a day and yet I get 0 grams of fat from milk, so your kinda jumping the gun assuming most everyone takes in 2% of whole, even if they do it's not a problem provided their total macronutrients are in order.

To the original poster, milk is comprised mostly of water. So I think your gonna live regardless of the ratio. Eat more and worry less.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    While you guys are discussing fat intake, would someone mind peaking in my fitday (which is in my sig) and telling me if the ratio's are okay? I am currently bulking.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Nito, I think your ratios look good. What type of weight gain are you getting at 3700 cals/day?
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

carry around a gallon jug of water through the day. Drink it all by the end of the day and don't worry about it.
    Never Giving In.

how about u drink as much of both as possible...you aren't gonna die if the "ratio" isn't perfect because there is no "ratio"....so on second thought...u might die...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto