The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

calves refuse to grow

ive tried everything, seated, standing, high reps, low reps, heavy, light, drop sets...EVERYTHING. im even 3 weeks into my first cycle and still nithing. i dont know what to do. any suggestions?
    thanks
    the one
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gain 20lbs.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

yah man believe it or not, i have. haha. wow great advice though
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Try letting the stretch reflex dissipte first (hold the bottom of the movement for at least 4 seconds).
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

do less volume if you're doing alot, and do more volume if you're not. try running, or do plysometric. jump ropes... Where did those 20lbs go? well gain another 20lbs =) haha

hahah did it man, not quite 4 seconds though. prolly 2-3. im 6'5 so no matter what my calves may look small but i need em to grow.

**** i got ur probelm, i havent noticed any problems with my body really yet cept for my calves are small. i can get them stronger but not bigger. even my legs are big naturally. im just gonna keep doin calve raises and see what happens, im not gona bulk just for my calves. if theyre still small, **** it who cares\ hehe

dunno but my claves grew like crazy!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Your born with limits. YOu may just not have the ability to have big calves. I don't even work mine directly and they are huge. It's just how it is.
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by the one
    hahah did it man, not quite 4 seconds though. prolly 2-3. im 6'5 so no matter what my calves may look small but i need em to grow.

6'5"..sheesh. It's will take a good amount of weight gain to see good calf results IMO. I think most tall people have problems with growing calves. It's that tall man's curse.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Calves are IMO and other ppl I know's opinions the hardest muscle group to get to grow on your body. What I would do is run up steep hills...in excess.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

hammin'
    ^ what he said

gain weight
    intense, long interval leg training
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Calves are IMO and other ppl I know's opinions the hardest muscle group to get to grow on your body. What I would do is run up steep hills...in excess.

Depends on the person. I look at my calves and they grow. That's just my genetics though. I am short (5'5") and have naturally large calves. I've completely stopped doing direct calf work as I feel I don't need it anymore.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Yeah, I forgot to mention it's almost 100% genetics, that's what I meant by the "they're very hard to train". Damn, sometimes I suck at getting my point across. What I meant was if they're going to grow, they would have and it's a bitch to make'em to otherwise. Good point Max-Mex.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Try letting the stretch reflex dissipte first (hold the bottom of the movement for at least 4 seconds).

Exactly. Look at the douchebag's doing 7 plates on seated calves, there calves are so disgustingly small because they are bouncing the weight. Very slow eccentric, pause, concentric, it's a lot harder and hurts much worse.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

my calves have been naturally big my entire life, and i attribute this to soccer. if you decide to do running, try it on your toes, as we do a lot of that quick toe movement in soccer. not to mention jumprope
    delete this account

Smack your mom in the face. Find your dad, and repeat. Your calves won't be any bigger, but you might feel better.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

yah i've heard traps and calves are the most genetic muscles, people either get em or they dont.

Calf raises on leg press and seated calf raises. Do 2 or 3 exercises for your calves with heavy weight. Problem is most people only do one calf exercise with their leg workouts since it's usually an afterthought. You need to focus on them as much as you would any other muscle you really want to grow.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I've always had naturally huge calves. I rarely work them because they are almost freakishly large.

Yeah for genetics.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Mine refuse to grow any significant amount... I'm one of the tall lean ones (6'3), I usually do two 8 sets of calves per workout, I lift heavy, and they are still insignificant. Yay for genetitcs.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

try doing them more than once a week if u havent already

thanks for all the replies. fukkin genetics screwed me i guess. collegiale ive been hittin him hard 2-3x a week soo im lost as to what to do now. i guess just keep hammerin em and eatin and hopefully something happens. ill try that leg training up hills though for sure, thanks for the input guys.

If you haven't done hills before, after you do them, you'll see why most avoid them lol.

My Exploits

Has anyone ever tried anything like this

I used to see ads in magazines when I used to read to them.

Just curious
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 06-10-2005 at 10:13 AM.