The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Struggling with deads

First I want to say this: I've seen a lot of people recently that arn't doing deads, but clean and jerks (not throwing it above their head). Is this better? Should I be doing them?

Anyway, on to my problem (with some background info):

Okay, I'm not a huge kid, I'm a okay sized kid. I just turned 16. I weight about 155 and am like 5'11". Just a few days ago I squated 3X10 at 135 (My squat has been doing really well, been adding at least 5 lbs each week). I bench 3X8 at 105. Nothing special, right. Anyway, I'm really going NOWHERE with deads. I think I know, but I don't know what to do about it.

I think I have decent form. But here's my problem: I can't dead two plates yet so the bar sits low and I don't let it touch the ground. This kills my grip because I never let the bar go. Should I be using straps? I have no idea how to use them and don't think my gym has any extras.

I guess I've never had a good dead feeling anywhere on my body. I dead so low, like 75lbs and my arms are stocked. I drop the bar and go on elsewhere. My grips not that horrible either. I static hold two 55 DBs for 3X60 seconds. I don't know what about deads is troubling me. What do you guys suggest?

Also, I was told to ride the bar up my legs, but this was bruising me a lot and giving my legs many red marks. How do you guys do this? And, how low do I want my butt? I usually have it extremly low, like, as low as the bar with a 10lb on each side. I saw this one guy doing it with 45s and his butt was more out, not low. It wasn't a straight leg deadlift though. Which way is better?
    Last edited by PhilsterT; 06-05-2005 at 10:54 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    I can't dead two plates yet so the bar sits low and I don't let it touch the ground.
    Let it touch the ground. You'll eventually break past 135, but until then the extended ROM should be fine.

This kills my grip because I never let the bar go. Should I be using straps? I have no idea how to use them and don't think my gym has any extras.
    Straps on 75lbs? You need to work more on your grip then. Bring the bar to the floor fully on every rep, and re-grip if you have too.

Also, I was told to ride the bar up my legs, but this was bruising me a lot and giving my legs many red marks. How do you guys do this?
    No matter how hard I try, I don't ever seem to scrape my legs going up on deads. I guess it's the way my body is structured. I know my buddies do all the time; it's just part of deading. Get used to it.

And, how low do I want my butt? I usually have it extremly low, like, as low as the bar with a 10lb on each side. I saw this one guy doing it with 45s and his butt was more out, not low. It wasn't a straight leg deadlift though. Which way is better?
    Get down as low as possible for maximum leg drive.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

RDLs: Demo on this page http://www.muscletech.com/TRAINING/H...GS/index.shtml
    Rack pulls are just like deads, but off pins set at approximately knee-height on the squat rack. Some folks call rack pulls 3/4 deads.

RDLs AKA SLDLs are great for your hammies. Rack pulls are great for back.

(I think I scrape my legs because my the bars at my gym arn't smooth. They have this grip all the way around the bar part that is this metal pattern so when it rides my leg it pulls the hair out of my leg. It hurts like crazy. I have tried putting on the pad for squatting on it but the velcro catches me.)

I might try SLDLs, but I will have to ask for some help with this.

For Rack Pulls, You're starting just above the knees? We don't have a squat race per se, so could I just get the bar off the ground and keep it above my knees, or do I need to have some pegs to take it up from?

Or just don't drop it down all the way.

Play the video for the RDLs form. It's exactly correct. Note the knees are NOT totally stiff.

Learn to pull off the floor NOW. You will thank yourself later.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Start low, but not too low. Get a tight arch in your back, breathe into your belly and hold your body tight. Use a mixed grip if you have to (one hand over, one under). Your hips should be the first thing to move, not your knees.

Strengthen your posterior chain. Especially your hammys and glutes.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler

Get down as low as possible for maximum leg drive.
    I thought you shouldn't keep hips that low because it starts incorporating the quads into the action?
    Last edited by METALASIAN; 06-06-2005 at 08:02 AM.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

god forbid you used leg drive when doing a powerlift! look at it this way, it allows you to move more weight. if you do use more weight then you have the same load on everything else just with the benefit of more HGH release due to the weight.

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar
    I'm sorry? Haha. I was just wondering.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

First I want to say this: I've seen a lot of people recently that arn't doing deads, but clean and jerks (not throwing it above their head). Is this better? Should I be doing them?
    Not better, different. They are called "cleans". The "jerk" is powering the bar overhead w. a leg dip.

I think I have decent form. But here's my problem: I can't dead two plates yet so the bar sits low and I don't let it touch the ground. This kills my grip because I never let the bar go. Should I be using straps? I have no idea how to use them and don't think my gym has any extras.

I guess I've never had a good dead feeling anywhere on my body. I dead so low, like 75lbs and my arms are stocked. I drop the bar and go on elsewhere. My grips not that horrible either. I static hold two 55 DBs for 3X60 seconds. I don't know what about deads is troubling me. What do you guys suggest?
    If you can't hold onto 75lbs, your grip is weak. Don't use straps - your grip will improve.

Also, I was told to ride the bar up my legs, but this was bruising me a lot and giving my legs many red marks. How do you guys do this? And, how low do I want my butt? I usually have it extremly low, like, as low as the bar with a 10lb on each side. I saw this one guy doing it with 45s and his butt was more out, not low. It wasn't a straight leg deadlift though. Which way is better?
    If your butt is too low to begin with, most people end up straightening a lot before the pull gets seriously underway. Make sure to keep your head up and drive your feet into the floor and your head to the sky. Practice pulling "back" on your deadlifts - this should help you get your hips into the movement.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-06-2005 at 08:35 PM.

I don't know think that my grip is the problem because I static hold (2) 55 lbs for 3X60 secs. I think my legs just can't stay in that bent position for too long. It is also a problem when doing yates rows. What do you suggest?

So is "Power Clean" the same as "Jerk"?

i too am having trouble with deads... could somebody please type like a step-by-step to preforming a deadlift correctly, and maybe some things to think about to keep good form while doing them? im a super new to deads... thanks
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

Notice this guy isn't that low. I could NEVER get my butt as low as a bar-height with 10lbs plates..lol. I also don't go as low as possible. I just "know" when I'm low enough.

The grip will come if you do heavy deads. I woudn't even mess witht he static holds. The grip will be stronger than your deads in a couple months, if you'll just DEADLIFT. don't move-on to something else...DEADLIFT.

HEAD UP!
    BUTT OUT!
    ARMS SHOULDER WIDTH APART! (or a bit wider if you wish)

NOW GO DO IT!!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    HEAD UP!
    BUTT OUT!
    ARMS SHOULDER WIDTH APART! (or a bit wider if you wish)
    I would add:

BUTT DOWN
    STRONG ARCH IN BACK

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I would add:

BUTT DOWN
    STRONG ARCH IN BACK

Yeah..what he said...

my biggest point was...QUIT WHINING, and SELF EDUCATE.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I do static holds on a different day so I don't see how that's a problem. I did it with the intention of trying to fix my deadlift.

I'm going to try it again this Sunday when my back day comes back. We'll see how things go, probably better though. Thanks for the help.

Banned
    **** the static holds bro...Completly worthless...Just Dead and Dead heavy! Good luck bro

I definitely wouldn't call static holds completely worthless at all

cleans vs. jerk...

I don't know think that my grip is the problem because I static hold (2) 55 lbs for 3X60 secs. I think my legs just can't stay in that bent position for too long. It is also a problem when doing yates rows. What do you suggest?

So is "Power Clean" the same as "Jerk"?
    NO... I explained what a jerk was - reread my post above. A powerclean is what you see most people do in the gym - pulling the weight from the floor to their shoulders with a quarter squat bend in the legs. A FULL clean is what you see olympic lifters do, squatting basically ass to ankles.

As far as static holds go - No they aren't completely worthless. But for someone who is not even deadlifting double bodyweight, it's not where I'd spend my time and efforts to improve...

if you're going to do static hold for your grips, then you might as well do farmer walk. i think taht's a better substitution for it.

Some people swear by static holds for the best/fastest strenght increase.

It all depends on where your weak spot is. If your grip and lockout are weak, obviously static holds will help that. Personally my weakest spot is right off the floor, so I do extra work on my hips and hammys to increase my initial pull.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220