Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actors that are asked to gain size for movies

Actors that are asked to gain size for movies

I am a very informed individual, as I am currently studying to become a personal trainer, and I am well versed in the bodybuilding ideologies, but i have a simple question....

When an actor is asked to gain size for a role, what differenciates them from joe schmo?

Is it there access to a Personal trainer? the fact that the spend more time in the gym?

I find it hard to believe that there genetics are the factor for this, as I have seen too many actors fluctuate (Ed Norton, and Brad Pitt come to mind, although the latter is genetically gifted in looks so that might not be a good example)

Another guy that I have seen put on size in Hayden Christensan, the dude that plays Anakin Skywalker. He put on 25 lbs. to play Darth vader from the 2nd to the 3rd movie.

I just want to know the variables that allow them to have such a change to there body in realitively short about of time (though tI realize that might not be so, and it could be a year or more that they are getting in shape for the role)

Thanks
    Last edited by Bboy486; 06-05-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Adobe programs, tanning, oil, and good lighting.

On a serious note, there is nothing spectacular about what either of those men did. There are guys on this site that pulled off equal progress in a matter of months. The reason they advance somewhat quicker than the average joe shmoe is because they have the whole day essentially to focus on training and diet. I'll tell you one thing though; it has nothing to do with the trainers.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    they don't pay for the training like he said they just have to concentrate on diet and training. the actors don't have to spend any money and the moviepeople will spare no expense to make sure whomever gets in shape
    crunk fo'shizzle

well besides when I am at work, I concentrate the entire day on diet and training, if fact i plan my day based on when my next visit to the gym is, so where is the difference... I plan my work days with food to adhere to my diets... so i guess im still not sure of the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Bboy486
    well besides when I am at work, I concentrate the entire day on diet and training, if fact i plan my day based on when my next visit to the gym is, so where is the difference... I plan my work days with food to adhere to my diets... so i guess im still not sure of the difference?

I think one of the differences is that for the most part these people are coming from a mosty untrained state straight into a decent diet and routine. Meaning faster gains. But really it's just consistency in diet, training and rest for an extended time period. Plus as built said i'm sure some of them are enhanced during this time period which is going to make their look more pronounced. I really dont think these people are doing anything magic, putting on 10lbs of muscle while staying lean, dropping 15lbs of fat without too much muscle. People do it all the time.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

hammin'
    aas
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Doubt it. As smalls pointed out, adding 10lbs of muscle and dropping 5lbs of fat in 1 year isn't beyond reach for most people, even veterans.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Lindsey Lohan was asked to lose weight and if you look at her now there is no way she used a trainer. Most people say she went on cocaine and has an eating disorder.

Wannabebig Member
    Brad Pitt looks pretty damn fit in most of his movies, but I saw him in an interview after he did Troy and he said he was on a grueling regimen and he pretty much hated his personal trainer (jokingly) because of all the pain he put him through.

You have to consider that the people who get in shape for movies to that extreme are a minority in Hollywood. They may be picked for a part with that in mind.

Look at Tom Hanks in Cast Away. He took a year to lose all that weight, but he had a lot to lose.
    Stats:

Age 31 (damn I'm getting up there)
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 202

"If you remain calm while everything around you is total chaos, then you probably haven't fully understood the situation."

i read somewere that will smith ran a cycle to put on the weight he did for ali because he went from being really skinny to packing some good muscle. not that this means he ran a cycle but a couple of people i know have mentioned it. it may not be true however
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Just because they are movie stars does not mean they know how to diet and how to eat. There is no doubt in my mind they have a personal trainer. They probably have to work their asses off doing so, but when someone goes from skinny and a ****ty diet, to skinny and a good diet....stuff starts to change quite fast.

And has been said before they probably do have a little bit of help on the side....
    My sig scared getfit.

Banned
    How about rocky in rocky 5 I think (USA vs. USSR) He got ****iin huge in the last fight of the film

yeah well sly does steroids.... and it was rocky 4. that was a bad example
    Last edited by monotone; 06-06-2005 at 12:33 PM.
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

Look at the guy from van wilder who did that movie recently, packed on some good muscle. People don't realize he probably had a good year or more to do that. If you look at him in van wilder, you can see he was fit, not big but in good shape. With some hard work it's not suprising that he put on some muscle, he had a good base to start with.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

find it hard to believe that there genetics are the factor for this, as I have seen too many actors fluctuate (Ed Norton, and Brad Pitt come to mind, although the latter is genetically gifted in looks so that might not be a good example)
    yea edward norton was pretty big in that 1 movie about the skinheads

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by ilankaplan1
    yea edward norton was pretty big in that 1 movie about the skinheads

American History X

He wasn't huge, but he looked good compared to his usual ****.
    Blood, sweat, and tears.

van wilder= ryan reynolds?
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

i just watched american history x again. norton looks like an idiot in that movie...definitely not very big and he just doesnt look natural. looks like he just puffed up real fast for the flick.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    i just watched american history x again. norton looks like an idiot in that movie...definitely not very big and he just doesnt look natural. looks like he just puffed up real fast for the flick.
    he had to loose all the weight for fight club, so he probably did a cycle. I still think Norton look good in American History X
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

They're all relatively lean individuals who start training hard, have a year or more to train, have access to the best supplements and advice, and are starting from a relatively untrained (i.e. light) base.

I did it, and so have a number of other people. I'm flummoxed as to why anyone other than a rookie would find this so impressive for celebs.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I was watching a Tarzan Movie with Casper Van Dien or whatever the name and noticed he was built. The more I watched I noticed he was muscular but skinny.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    I'm not slamming you, but what are your stats? I geuss a body builder would think he looks like an idiot. Myself, I hope I look like that before too long.
    Stats:

Age 31 (damn I'm getting up there)
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 202

"If you remain calm while everything around you is total chaos, then you probably haven't fully understood the situation."

You guys realize that these movies aren't made back to back. They do train hard and have nutritionalist and trainers to make sure they get every advantage availible but they also have like a year or 2 to do it in.

Mint
    Quote Originally Posted by GotLift
    I'm not slamming you, but what are your stats? I geuss a body builder would think he looks like an idiot. Myself, I hope I look like that before too long.
    Anyone on this board can easily look like that or better with two years of consistent work.