Thread: White vs. Dark

White vs. Dark

I was just wondering which is better for you white meat chicken or dark meat?

Dark has more fat, but it has a better taste and texture.

I make chicken soup from the dark meat - I roast it first (tastes better that way), skin and debone the meat, chill the soup, and skim off all the fat. Lets me get the best of both worlds.

Ok thats what i thought as far as the fat content. But that soup sounds really good! thanks

It's good! It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but I only have to do it once - I make a huge pot of it once every week or two. Just toss the thighs in the oven doused in balsamic vinegar, seasoning salt, pepper, whole cloves of garlic, couple of onions. Roast it until it smells good, then dump the whole thing (minus a few for, um, quality control purposes) plus the drippings into a pot with some water, boil, strain, debone, and defat after a trip to the fridge.

I use it as a base for a lot of my meals. Want something post workout? Add in lots of salt, frozen peas and some angel hair pasta for fast carbs. Want it lower carb? Toss in spinach instead of the pasta. Insta-meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Dark has more fat, but it has a better taste and texture.

I make chicken soup from the dark meat - I roast it first (tastes better that way), skin and debone the meat, chill the soup, and skim off all the fat. Lets me get the best of both worlds.
    Blasphemy!! White meat is the only meat, all others are condemned. Although if you were making me soup I would allow the dark meat, i guess.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Speaking of dark meat, chicken thighs....MMMMM. Just had some tonight.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Im not picky about it, as long as Im not the one who has to cook it. I have a feeling ill be doing alot of cooking with beer (but ill probably end up drinking most of it)

I've always liked white meat better, don't know why. Although the way i mostly used to eat my chicken was fried..lol so it didn't really matter.

The white is better. Higher protein per serving, and chicken fat isn't exactly healthy.

cool thanks guys

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Blasphemy!! White meat is the only meat, all others are condemned. Although if you were making me soup I would allow the dark meat, i guess.
    beef steak yum, bacon yum, chinese spare ribs yum, roast lamb and mint suace yum.

blasphmey
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I love chicken, I could eat about 10 legs at a time. We go through so much chicken at my house its not even funny.