Thread: Westside Convert

Westside Convert

I have never tried any type of powerlifting program,but I have been researching Westside for the past 6 months. I wasn't able to lift for almost 2 months due to surgery, and I decided to try Westside to recover my lost strength when I was allowed to lift again.

I've got to say the results were phenomenal. It took me roughly 2 weeks to recover to my pre-surgery lifts (probably not that phenomenal), and I went uphill for the next 2 weeks. More than that, I burned through pretty much all the fat I had put on those 2 months I had to take off, even though I was only eating semi-clean (250g protein, between 3000-4000 cals a day, other than that I didn't care). This might not be that surprising, either though, with the intensity the workouts take.

Anyway, I was very happy with the program, I'll probably keep it up for another 4 weeks and then transition into something else.

I'll come back to it as often as possible, though.

awesome...

i have heard a lot about "westside" training... where can i find some information on that... and maybe some sample routines??

Quote Originally Posted by capn crunch
    awesome...

i have heard a lot about "westside" training... where can i find some information on that... and maybe some sample routines??
    I got most of my information from searching people's journals and this board, from www.elitefts.com, and from an old WBB article about the Westside Barbell Club ...www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46

thanks

Westside, eh... then the question is how much strength did you gain on the big 3, not some fancy pants slimming program.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Westside, eh... then the question is how much strength did you gain on the big 3, not some fancy pants slimming program.

I always have based my programs around the Big 3, but never squats & bench twice a week (speed/heavy).

I've always been a hardgainer; but the gains have been phenomenal. I have always gained well on deads, but bench and squats have/had always been slightly tougher.

To my knowledge, I've never used a "slimming" program

Banned
    Well bro you just tipped the scales I am most certainly going on a westside program I was thinking about it now its on! thanks man

Ante Up
    shooter u wanna post ur routine so i can get an idea?
    What doesnt kill will only make you stronger

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

I've been using a 5-day instead of the traditional 4-day program because I do my assistance back work on a subsequent day because deadlifts drain me so much.

Sunday
    ME Bench (work up to 1 rep max)
    3-4 sets of incline db press
    Light shoulder work

Monday
    Speed squat (3 reps as fast as I can w/good form for 8-10 sets)
    5 sets of deadlifts (usually in 4-6 rep range)

And usually that's it for that day, deads make me feel like **** so:

Tuesday
    3-4 sets barbell rows or dumbbell rows
    3-4 sets pulldowns or pullups
    3-4 sets shrugs
    Weighted ab work

Weds
    Speed bench (3 reps @ 50-60% of 1 rep max for 8-10 sets)
    Heavier shoulder work (i.e. 3 sets DB presses in 6-8 rep range)
    3-4 sets of heavy curls
    3-4 sets of heavy tricep work

Thursday
    Rest Day

Friday
    ME Squats (working up to 1 rep max)
    usually one more excercise targeting quads in 6-8 rep range, 2 sets
    3-4 sets of hamstring exercises

Sat
    Rest Day

As I mentioned, if you want the "Traditional" Westside program, you should follow the above links. I had to tailor the program a little bit to better fit me; but the important part of the program is the ME/DE (speed) days.

Edit: Ante Up, your Big 3 lifts are better than mine anyway, so maybe you should take my advice with a grain of salt
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 06-12-2005 at 08:03 AM.

Bespoke Super Mod
    Remember not to take your accessory exercises to failure, i.e if you're capable of doing 5 reps on something stop just short at 3 or 4 reps

Depending upon your actual training experience rotate your ME exercise ever 1 to 3 weeks.

Make sure you static ab work in order to strengthen your core so you receive a carry over onto your dead and squat.

Wave the loads and percentage upon the box squat

Example: Week 1 50% of 1 rep max 12 sets of 2 reps
    Week 2 55% of 1 rep max 11 sets of two reps
    Week 3 60% of 1 rep max 10 sets of 2 reps

Then return again to week 1 and repeat said cycle

Every now and again after your sets of speed squats off the box, test yourself at around 70% off the box to see where you are currenly at and what needs to be improved.
    Last edited by Franco; 06-13-2005 at 01:09 AM.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Ante Up
    when u say work up to one rep max...what does that mean...what set rep scheme are yopu using
    What doesnt kill will only make you stronger

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

Quote Originally Posted by Ante up
    when u say work up to one rep max...what does that mean...what set rep scheme are yopu using

Just for an example, say your max is around 250:

155 x 3
    175 x 3
    195 x 2
    205 x 1
    215 x 1
    225 x 1
    235 x 1
    245 x 1
    255 x fail

etc.

I suppose everyone does different variations. The ones I have read would be more reps of 3 then to a single.
    205x3
    215x3
    225x3
    235x2
    245x1
    Trying to get a new PR
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    I suppose everyone does different variations. The ones I have read would be more reps of 3 then to a single.

You're right, I was just giving one example. If my max is 250, I may or may not be able to do 2 of 235.