Thread: Resistance Bands

Hybrid View

Resistance Bands

I've been thinking i might start using resistance exercise bands to further help my bench. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these, how to properly use them, what weight resistance to use, etc... etc... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out www.elitefts.com. They have a number of articles, a Q&A, and they even sell the bands.

I use them.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Awesome! thanks man

During High School football (graduated this year) we had chains that went onto the end of the bar. I've used them and they were nice for busting platues. Im immaging a band would do much the same.

EDIT: Sweet, im just about able to use the average flex bands. Someday I hope to be strong enough to even need the Heavy bands.

Now that ive looked over those bands a little bit better, I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer to on that site. Exactly how would you use those bands on lifts like the big three.... and would they work at all for lifts curls??? Im really interested in these now and may buy some.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 06-09-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Yah i was thinking of getting a light and an average heavy band myself. As you know from my previous post im trying to break a platau myself so im hoping these and negatives will help. I had a little trouble finding a visual on just how to set the band up on a bench press, any help?

I have been using them for months. I have #1s though #4s. I always double them or you wont get any tension at the bottom. They really work well. I got mine from ironwoodyfitness.com

For benching, double the minis. Unless you bench 700 or so, light bands doubled will be too much tension.

For squatting, choke the bands around the bottom of the rack or around dumbells - you want to have tension at the bottom.

Yes, you can pretty much use bands as resistance for anything you can come up with. Keep in mind you shoudl be using these tools to purther a specific trainig goal, not just to use bands.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 06-09-2005 at 12:51 PM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Thanks for clearing that up Paul cause im not putting up 700 haha. I'll go for the mini's then. Oh i have a specific goal, Im trying to break my bench press platau.

Might be a stupid question but where exactly do i wrap the bands when using them for bench, the bar on each side and the bottom of the bench?

yes.
    and for squatting, ive seen people stand on the band. looks like it worked, though i dont know how you would do it w/o a spotter holding it down for you before you step on it. (or w/ a monolift)
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

squatting with bands is pain...in your whole body shoulders down. i love squatting with 2 bands linked and tied to the bottom of the power rack. do the reps slow...oh wait, you really dont have a choice or youll end up on your ass

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    squatting with bands is pain...in your whole body shoulders down. i love squatting with 2 bands linked and tied to the bottom of the power rack. do the reps slow...oh wait, you really dont have a choice or youll end up on your ass
    Box squats - that's the choice to make!

Make sure your rack is heavy enough. I just about killed myself the first time I tried to use bands (for squatting) in a rack that wasn't secured to the floor.

If you don't have a secure rack, you can anchor the bands by choking them to a hex DB and then placing a 45 (or 45s) over it and then threading the bands through the hole of the plate up to the sleeve of the bar. You will want someone to help you put the other side on the bar at the same time, or start w. the bar on the safety pins and then squat the bar w. bands up to the j-hooks before adding weight.

A lot of people will use bands on the bench by choking a band around a DB (preferably a heavy hex DB, or DBs w. a 2.5lb plate on each side of it) on each side of the bench. You can use a much heavier band this way as opposed to when you double them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Make sure your rack is heavy enough. I just about killed myself the first time I tried to use bands (for squatting) in a rack that wasn't secured to the floor.
    Definitely ... I remember unracking the bar and the entire squat rack came off the ground. It was interesting, but probably not very safe.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Thats what I was just thinking.... we have 100 lbers at our gym and they seem like they could hold it down. Nothing in our gym is secured to the floor lmao, nothing.

yup, same thing happend to me.
    I had a mirror right infront of me though
    thank god for workout partners
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Theres a mirror infront of ours too... I think ill just use the 100lb DB's lmao.

I use all bands up to Mediums and i dont bench any where close to 700. I dont speed bench though doesnt do anything for me. I can bench more than double body weight though.
    Last edited by Darracq; 06-12-2005 at 01:19 PM.

What do you weigh

If you are talking to me i weigh a little under 165.I am 6 foot tall so i am a skinny 165 lol. Benched 350 a few weeks ago.

wow, 350 at 165 with long arms? thats impressive. You should think about competing, i know the state record for 165 in my state is like 330.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 06-15-2005 at 01:25 PM.

Thats what i am shooting for. I might try a meet in september. I cant afford to go right now. I need to work on a good pause also. I dont bouce but dont pause very long at all. I am not looking forward to wearing a singlet either. Skinny legs lol.
    Last edited by Darracq; 06-15-2005 at 02:25 PM.

haha i was a little warry at first but they're very comfortable