Thread: i need a bench press routine

i need a bench press routine

ok sorry to bother yous all but i really need help cause ive been tryuing for a amonth or two now to get my bench up and ive made absolutely no progresss at all. with everything else iv ebeen progressing but my bench has actually gotten a little worse. i thought about overtraining and its not that, ive tried different routines but im out of ideas. ive been doing like 5-8 sets of about 1-8 reps ive been trying diff. ways but it doesnt work. can some1 please suggest a routine for increasing strenght? cause i basicaly give up trying...
    Last edited by ilankaplan1; 06-10-2005 at 09:16 AM.

I've always heard when you plateau on bench work your tri's... do you decline or incline as well as flat bench?

well ive been woprkin my tris and shoulders actually, i think that might be part of the problem but its more like i need a solid routine to work on. like i cant decide on what to do for bench, and i need some1 to give me a routine like how many sets/reps to stick with. and i dont do inclines right now cause i have a smith and its ******ed
    Last edited by ilankaplan1; 06-10-2005 at 10:14 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Don't do bench for a while. Pick up some DBs and do incline presses, flat presses, flyes... change your routine. Throw in some cable crossovers or something. Others may disagree with me, but I think the best way to make gains on bench (flat barbell) is to not focus on bench too much.
    The problem with being better than everyone else is that people assume you're pretentious.

mm2k program http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/mm2k/

do that workout and after your done with thier 5 sets.. do 3 sets of 8 dumbell flat bench press... that's how i got STRONG in my chest
    -deltoids anonomous

I haven't been lifting for the longest time ever.. only 3 years this past May. I have learned one thing: if you are stuck or on a plateau, odds are you are not eating enough.

I wasted more than a year learning the ropes of how dieting and eating properly works and I won't make those mistakes again.

(though I'm sure some people eat exceptionally well and may still be stuck/plateau'd)

How many total sets are you doing for your chest?? Try to switch things up and don't focus so much on the flat bench.. Give dumbess a try or make incline barbell your first exercise for a few weeks.

Eat more and maybe post your routine so we might be able to help you with your problem?

Negatives, bands, or chains... any of the three are great platue busters. Or like mentioned above, work your triceps and lats a little harder.

Quote Originally Posted by twm
    I haven't been lifting for the longest time ever.. only 3 years this past May. I have learned one thing: if you are stuck or on a plateau, odds are you are not eating enough.

I wasted more than a year learning the ropes of how dieting and eating properly works and I won't make those mistakes again.

(though I'm sure some people eat exceptionally well and may still be stuck/plateau'd)
    I'm with TWM on this one. I've found that what I eat within 30 mins - 1 hour of working out is really important.
    Last edited by Wierz; 06-10-2005 at 12:03 PM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

How often are you testing your max?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

make sure you're getting all your support muscles worked out adequately, and make sure you have plenty of rest between bench and bench assistance days
    delete this account

If your solely concerned with your bench search for the russian bench routine. It works pretty well. I think I added 10-15lbs to my bench with it. Some guys add alot more. I forgot how many weeks it is, if you run a search it will come up I think.

its four weeks, i just started it today...

http://www.fortifiediron.net/mambo/i...d=38&Itemid=63

at least im pretty sure this is the one you're talkign about.....
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

mm2k program http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/mm2k/

do that workout and after your done with thier 5 sets.. do 3 sets of 8 dumbell flat bench press... that's how i got STRONG in my chest
    that looks all good but 1 thing aint clear . It says there is 3 sets to do for each bench workout. do i do 1 or 2 warmup sets before that or just go right into it? and also how long should i rest between sets, like less than a minute or a couple minutes?

I usually just didnt 1 warmup set..

you need alot of rest for strength.. atleast 2 minutes..
    i recommend 3 minutes rest though
    -deltoids anonomous

thanks